Sign in to follow this  
leonhart83

Reducing dual cd avi's to single cd.

Hi Guys,

I am currently trying to free up some hard drive space and I am having some drawbacks when trying to convert my dual disc avi rips to single cd. I used to be able to just use virtual dub, but now that variable bit rate audio is in, I am unable to join the two avi's with virtual dub then re-encode with autogk. As Autogk does not support encoding two avi's with the same name like vob files, I have had to resort to using winavi to convert to dvd and the re-encode back to avi using Autogk. Surely there must be a better way to do this?

If anyone has any ideas?

I have been trying to find an answer to this question for a long time and just haven't been able to find it.

P.S the reason I use winavi over other applications like VSO covertx2dvd is because of the batch jobs. The only downside to this (besides the obvious double handling) is that winavi crashing so often in batch convert I wonder why there were able to sell it.

Thanks Guys,

Micky.

Can't convert them to CBR audio first with autogk then join them with virtualdub? Or just re-encode each individual file to half cd avi then burn 2 at a time to cd?

Personally I would just burn to DVD as individual files to save losing any more quality.

i just use vegas video for conversion. youll have to do some calculating first though but its the only way i know of to reduce it to such. besides, dvd writers are so much cheaper these days and can fit up to 4 single cd avi's or more.

Why CD? A DVD+R and DVD-R costs the same to buy as an CD-R. Just burn then into the DVD format without any modification, or go buy an external hard drive.

I hate giving replies that dont 'help; because i assume if he had a DVD burner, he would use DVDs.

However with Burners now $29, and a pack of verbaitum DVDs around the same, $50 +\-$10 will get you set up for a happy future.

As Autogk does not support encoding two avi's with the same name like vob files, I have had to resort to using winavi to convert to dvd and the re-encode back to avi using Autogk. Surely there must be a better way to do this?

Maybe I'm interpreting what you have said here the wrong way, but couldn't you just rename one of the .avi files and then encode them?

Hey guys,

Yes I have a DVD burner, which I use to archive the movies (6 on a disc) for backup purposes. I have a large library of movies that take up quite a large amount of hard drive space. I use one PC as a file server with multiple external hard drives, to allow my laptop (which is connected to my tv) to watch movies. I used to encode my rips at 2xCD size for better quality picture and ac3 5.1 surround sound, but I found that by using the lame codec nowadays and updated video codec (xvid of divx5) I can get pretty good rips of my dvd's in around 700mb.

700 if movie is 1.45hrs >

800 if movie is 2.15hrs >

900 if movie is 2.5hrs >

So I am not using the files to burn them to cd, and it is much more convenient to use the file server to watch the movies. I used to burn my movies on dvd but found it more of a nuisance having to locate the dvd etc to watch. With programs like moviecollectorz and media centre it make sense to keep movies stored on hard drives.

Now before everyone comes back with claims of hard drive space being cheap, I know this is an option, but until I upgrade my PC to allow for more hard drives to be used and the money becomes available I have been happy with the option I have gone with.

On a side note I have re-encoded the sound to cbr as mentioned about, joined the files and then re-encoded them to single disc with autogk. I am happy with the output so until I find a better way I will probably stick with it.

Sorry I didn't explain the full reason behind my decision for one cd rips, it is just the file size I was referring to not the need for the media.

P.S I wish I had an alternative when I had to re-encode 100 movies or so to single disc size. Oh well it took ages and I am finally there.......

As Autogk does not support encoding two avi's with the same name like vob files, I have had to resort to using winavi to convert to dvd and the re-encode back to avi using Autogk. Surely there must be a better way to do this?

Maybe I'm interpreting what you have said here the wrong way, but couldn't you just rename one of the .avi files and then encode them?

Just your answer to this. You can't specific more than one file to encode. If it is a vob file though it automatically picks up the files in sequence. With avi it is not the case and in the manual it says that this is not supported.