Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MrFriendly

802.11n

One of my users today had a bit of a sad because her work laptop doesn't support 802.11n and that's what her AP uses at home, although, she called it "the 'n' standard".

At first I was thinking "Bitch be smokin crack, I've never heard of it".

After a bit of googling I was shocked and surprised, I just couldn't believe I haven't heard of it. Mind you, I've been doing support for nearly the last two years so I'm a bit out of the loop with tech news.

From what I've managed to find out, the standard is yet to be ratified and probably wont be until next year, as such, there's very few devices actually out there for it.

What I'm keen to know is if anyone has gotten to play around with any 802.11n tech and what they think of it.

Cheers

Mick

One of my users today had a bit of a sad because her work laptop doesn't support 802.11n and that's what her AP uses at home, although, she called it "the 'n' standard".

At first I was thinking "Bitch be smokin crack, I've never heard of it".

After a bit of googling I was shocked and surprised, I just couldn't believe I haven't heard of it. Mind you, I've been doing support for nearly the last two years so I'm a bit out of the loop with tech news.

From what I've managed to find out, the standard is yet to be ratified and probably wont be until next year, as such, there's very few devices actually out there for it.

What I'm keen to know is if anyone has gotten to play around with any 802.11n tech and what they think of it.

Cheers

Mick

There are hundreds of "draft"n devices out there now. Any computer shop should stock it.

There are hundreds of "draft"n devices out there now. Any computer shop should stock it.

Yeah, I've noticed Apple have jumped right on board. It always concerns me when they push out tech that hasn't actually be properly standardized yet. But I guess a lot of vendors did the same thing with 802.11a/b/g.

It looks like a promising standard though.

Edited by MrFriendly

Yeah, I've noticed Apple have jumped right on board. It always concerns me when they push out tech that hasn't actually be properly standardized yet. But I guess a lot of vendors did the same thing with 802.11a/b/g.

It looks like a promising standard though.

I recently upgraded my network to N after using G it's quite a large step forward.

Mines a N and the results are excellent. Even though the strength can reach far, it has the capability of being adjusted to a G if you don't think the N is worthwhile using. :)

It should be noted that the 3-antenna MIMO versions are the ones with the significantly better range and signal, and pretty much only to the degree that G MIMO is. The 2-antenna variants you see about wouldn't be much or any better than G in range/signal.

The whole reason I bring it up is that the user was at a cafe in KL, naturally none of our laptops have N hardware as yet, and she claimed she couldn't connect to the hotspot in the cafe because she didn't have N hardware.

I just sort of said I think that was just a fuck up on who ever setup the hotspot at the cafe. The she mentioned the coffee chain, and I may have mentioned that it was most likely setup by a Mac user who enjoys masturbation more than sex.

The 2-antenna variants you see about wouldn't be much or any better than G in range/signal.

In another words, adequate. ;)

Mines a Belkin by the way.

Guest MrInsaneBuff

DUDE... Ive been on Pre-N for two odd years!

Its great. No more do I worry about brick walls. File transfer speeds arnt all that bad either. But Im looking to upgrade. With the popularity of HD content, being able to stream it is something my current DG834N isnt really up for the task. At the moment it looks like it will be a showdown between the WNR3500 and the WRT310N

At the moment it looks like it will be a showdown between the WNR3500 and the WRT310N

I suggest reading the model names aloud as if they are words and choosing whichever one sounds less silly.

I've had a Netgear DG834N for around two year now, it's a tri-antenna MIMO solution.

It's quite brilliant, as it can transmit through nearly anything (brick walls, concrete, etc), and has huge range (neighbors can receive it; have to be careful about security).

It's really fast too (150-270Mbps all the time).