Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Fragasaurus

Advice required for work project

Totally n00bing out here.

I had an idea for a project at work, but I haven't the foggiest where to start. The last time I attempted any coding was when I tried to teach myself assembler on the school Apple IIE's, which was about 23 years ago.

I want to create something that can show how to perform dealing techniques, and explain procedures, using both text and graphics. It would also be nice if I could also include the ability to test users on their knowledge.

I was thinking that there would be a package out there that would help creating something like this, but I haven't the foggiest where to start. Hell, I'm probably in the wrong section.

Anyhoo, all help/direction/advice/abuse accepted. Cheers.

Well, it's probably superficial, and doesn't go deeply into weighing up the pros and cons of either course.

A website isn't the answer in my mind. This training/information resource idea will be situated in the company PC training room. A website would have to sit on the intraweb, which means I would have to get the IT department involved very early on in the piece. This, in my opinion, will dilute my contribution. The whole purpose of this idea is blatant self-promotion. I'm hoping to serve up this idea to the head of my department, and illustrate that I am an independant thinker, who looks towards the needs of the company, and acts on their own initiative to create a solution.

A program based on flash is a stand alone solution, which will allow me to work on the complete idea by myself. If it's accepted, then I can work with IT to establish/install it in the online training room. I also feel Flash will give me the ability to fashion a good looking, professional and entertaining method of imparting knowledge to staff. This however, is based on all those Flash games you can play online, which probably isn't the best method of making a decision.

I guess that was less than superficial. If you have an opinion on the above, I'd love to get an informed opinion, as opposed to my half-arsed one.

:D

Well, it's probably superficial, and doesn't go deeply into weighing up the pros and cons of either course.

A website isn't the answer in my mind. This training/information resource idea will be situated in the company PC training room. A website would have to sit on the intraweb, which means I would have to get the IT department involved very early on in the piece. This, in my opinion, will dilute my contribution. The whole purpose of this idea is blatant self-promotion. I'm hoping to serve up this idea to the head of my department, and illustrate that I am an independant thinker, who looks towards the needs of the company, and acts on their own initiative to create a solution.

A program based on flash is a stand alone solution, which will allow me to work on the complete idea by myself. If it's accepted, then I can work with IT to establish/install it in the online training room. I also feel Flash will give me the ability to fashion a good looking, professional and entertaining method of imparting knowledge to staff. This however, is based on all those Flash games you can play online, which probably isn't the best method of making a decision.

I guess that was less than superficial. If you have an opinion on the above, I'd love to get an informed opinion, as opposed to my half-arsed one.

:D

You are aware of course, that one can have a perfectly functioning website without a network connection, because nearly all modern browsers support the file:// protocol. You just need to make sure you use relative URLs.

The overhead of a standalone website is far less than a flash solution, which then requires flash, as opposed to any browser made in the last decade.

Edited by freespace

Sounds like you'd be better off creating the website with ruby on rails and embed a minimal amount of flash. If you want to see flash gone wrong take a look at myspace.

From my perspective and experience, flash is easier to make interactive than a website.

At the same time, a lot of things people use flash for would be better as a website.

Honestly? I think either would be fine for what you're doing.

Don't do ruby, or ruby on rails if you don't have any knowledge - that's just complicating what should be fairly simple.

What you could do, is similar to slimdog's suggestion (minus the ruby part -_-) is making a website, and then have flash for stuff you want to be really interactive.