Sign in to follow this  
Gamertech

x1650 pro install problem

Mate decided to upgrade from his old 64 MB ATI GPU dunno which one, and bought a Powercolor AGP x1650 pro, now as far as I can tell the card itself checks out fine, (after I connected the aux power cable he forgot), and loads up as normal but as soon as I install the drivers and restart, the pc gets past the windows xp boot screen then goes black, and displays "out of range". I've reloaded in safe mode and wiped absolutely everything to do with ATI or Radeon, both folders and whatever drivercleaner and crap cleaner picked up, and reinstalled the drivers off the disk and I also tried the latest complete drivers off the ATI website, same thing happens each time. I've looked around on the net and plenty of people have had this problem, and a few sites say they fixed the problem, but not a single site mentions HOW it was fixed.

I don't know the exact specs of his system, but it's a 3GHZ P4, 2GB DDR and a brand new 500w Antec Earthwatts PSU I made him buy after I looked in the BIOS and saw the 12v line down to 10.9-11.1v... voltage fine now.

When you get the "Out of range" message on your screen, it generally means that either you set it at too high a refresh rate, or the resolution is set too high. Go back into safe mode and check the resolution and refresh rate. Try setting the resolution to something lower like 800x600 to start off with and set the refresh rate to 60Hz. See if that works. Get back to us with an update.

Can you list the specs of the machine in question including OS, software, drivers etc. The fact that the display is working shows that the monitor isnt stuffed and that the graphics card works. So there must be something else thats causing the problem.

Edited by strifus