Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Meeko

Who's looking forward to Red Alert 3?

Really? I thought they improved as they went. Tiberian Sun was better than classic IMO, and Tiberium Wars was even better.

It's certainly not the type of game if you want to slowly build up and have a nice and orderly battle - it's very chaotic, and tactics and seat-of-your-pants riding play an immense role compared to other RTS's, but that's C&C's charm.

TW sped up considerably - played properly, within the first minute it involves almost constant battles on multiple fronts with multiple types of units while simultaneously building up the base.

Yes of various Gods I am eagerly awaiting the next installment of the Red Alert franchise. I started with Dune 2 and Command and Conquer then went through every single one of the games and expansions (yes even Renegade). Initially I preferred the seriousness of the Tiberium universe but Red Alert 2 changed that for me with all of its kookyness and weird battle strategies (sink a carrier battlegroup with a giant squid... why not?!) and Red Alert 3 is offering even more of the same with some very clever units, a 3rd faction, brilliant graphics engine and plenty of memorable cheesy acting. I love the flair and style of the Red Alert universe and cannot wait for Red October as it were.

I did have a chance for the Beta but I turned it down because I wanted to be blown away on release date. I have my premier's edition already fully paid for on preorder for the release day.

Red Alert 2 was freaking awesome. Tib Sun, Generals and C&C 3 were for the most part forgettable.

If they can replicate the coolness of RA2 I'm sold.

cant wait, the MP beta has been pretty fun for the most part. the calssic tank rush tactic still applies tho (fecking V4 missile launchers)

Red alert has been my favorite RTS game series, I haven't played the beta just waiting it out, so hears hoping i enjoy this one.

Red Alert 2 was freaking awesome. Tib Sun, Generals and C&C 3 were for the most part forgettable.

General's forgettable? Generals was my favorite C&C, so maybe you forgot to turn the difficulty up.

And C&C 3 forgettable? Maybe you have some sort of gaming disorder (Just like Jack Thomson)

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

I've played every C&C title to death, and they've each got their own shining qualities (even Renegade, though they're few and far between).

If RA3 can manage to be as well balanced AND cheesy as RA2, then I'm sold.

I just finished playing right through RA2 and Yuri's Revenge with Virtuoson.

They are still great fun!

In fact, I realised that a lot of what had made RA2 fun was actually missing from subsequent (lesser) titles... Things like special-purpose one-off buildings, unique missions, the humour in the cutscenes. (Virtuoson and I pissed ourselves when 'superior Soviet power technology' accidentally overcharged the Chronosphere and sent us back in time to the Jurassic era.)

Generals etc were paltry in comparison.

C&C3, and Kane's Wrath were a great return to form.

So I have high hopes for RA3.

I just finished playing right through RA2 and Yuri's Revenge with Virtuoson.

They are still great fun!

In fact, I realised that a lot of what had made RA2 fun was actually missing from subsequent (lesser) titles... Things like special-purpose one-off buildings, unique missions, the humour in the cutscenes. (Virtuoson and I pissed ourselves when 'superior Soviet power technology' accidentally overcharged the Chronosphere and sent us back in time to the Jurassic era.)

Generals etc were paltry in comparison.

C&C3, and Kane's Wrath were a great return to form.

So I have high hopes for RA3.

a big ol + 1 to that virt.

cheesy FMV FTW!

The BETA + FMV trailer has definitely convinced me to buy the full game. Not like I wasn't a RA fan to start with though.

I completely suck at multiplayer in any C&C game, but for me it's all about the single player campaigns (and the odd AI skirmish) which is where every C&C game comes into it's own. Gererals not so much though, not sure what that one was about.

RA3 is shaping up to be just as awesome!

My only hope is that they come out with some more original music to jam to whilst playing. The great songs of past C&C games did a lot to enhance the experience for me. C&C3 though has dampened my hopes though.

Played the beta and was definitely going to buy this for the single player game.

EA have confirmed on the RA3 forums that the same DRM in Spore will be in RA3 with a 5 install limit (Up from 3).

I refuse to support this new idea of restricting the number of times a game may be installed. For that reason I will not be buying any EA games until all EA games have the limit removed.

I would hate for the idea to catch on with other developers.

In the mean time there are plenty of other games coming out.

There's going to be a 5-install limit on RA3? :-O What happens if we reformat our computer 5 times? We have to buy it again?!

There's going to be a 5-install limit on RA3? :-O What happens if we reformat our computer 5 times? We have to buy it again?!

It's going to work differently and less draconian than the spore install limit.

For every uninstall you do (whist connected to the internet), it will grant you back one install to the install pool.

It's going to work differently and less draconian than the spore install limit.

For every uninstall you do (whist connected to the internet), it will grant you back one install to the install pool.

So do we need to be connected to the net to install the game in the first place?

In the long run they will probably remove the internet activation and installation limits. Its more the physical copy protection and rootkitting that shits me about DRM.

It seems to be the flavour of the times to have internet activations. However most sane publishers remove them after the inital phases because of strong public opinion. The only one I know that have stuck to their guns is 2k on Bioshock. I believe in people's principle's to refuse to buy a game that employs stupid copyright protection but I am going to trust EA to do the right thing in the end. If they screw me over then things will be changing in my buying practices.

If they can replicate the coolness of RA2 I'm sold.

+5000. Loved RA2, and I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can manage to duplicate its awesomeness.