Mac Dude

mini system for iPod AND TV

I've been looking around, but haven't seen anything appropriate.

I want a small mini-system that I can use as an iPod dock, has AM/FM radio AND audio input for my LCD TV. By small I mean discrete - not heaps of flashing lights etc.

Most iPod related stuff tends to be all integrated, but I want the speakers either side of the unit the telly is on, so the speakers must be detachable. And no, surround sound decoding is not a requirement, stereo is fine. It's basically just for the family room, I can listen to the footy, watch TV with better sound than the inbuilt speakers, or listen to music from my iPod.

Anyone seen such a beast?

What kind of functionality do you need from the ipod, ie do you want to be able to control it with a remote etc, or is it simply a case of plug it in set the play list on the ipod and away you go? If it's the later then there is a very simple solution, you don't need a 'dock' but rather a system that has several analogue inputs, either stereo rca or 3.5mm stereo mini-jack this simply determines the cable you need. Basic concept is your plugging the ipod into the speaker system using the headphone output on the ipod and then into an analogue input on the speaker system. Any pc speaker is up for the task, though they generally only have a single audio input, you could pick up a second hand amp and some bookshelf speakers that would be up for the task too.

cheers

good points....

As far as functionality, I need the system to charge the iPod, so it needs to be a dock (or USB I guess). Remote control doesn't worry me.

I have been looking at basic systems, but all the ones with iPod connectivity are either cheap and nasty or over the top.

I had a quick look at the popular pc speaker brands, they generally have all in one type units for the ipod, creative were the only company that had any 2.1 units, so have a look at these systems:

Creative i600 - this one looks very nice, price is potentially a little expensive though

Creative 3000i - looks like a good value alternative

Creative might cop some flack for their sound cards, but they do build nice speakers.

Here's one from sony:

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=22043

cheers

I had a quick look at the popular pc speaker brands, they generally have all in one type units for the ipod, creative were the only company that had any 2.1 units, so have a look at these systems:

Creative i600 - this one looks very nice, price is potentially a little expensive though

Creative 3000i - looks like a good value alternative

Creative might cop some flack for their sound cards, but they do build nice speakers.

Here's one from sony:

http://www.sony.com.au/homecinema/catalog/...ategoryId=22043

cheers

Unfortunately none of those have AM/FM radio and an iPod dock... (I don't think)

The sony does, and sorry that link seems to link you to the wrong system, it's on the page though, so have a look at the:

MINI SYSTEM WITH iPOD DOCK MHCEC68PI

It looks to have all your needs covered as well as providing you with an extra set of analogue inputs for your television.

Panasonic also have an option for you:

5CD Changer Mini System iPod Dock Ready

[Model No: SC-AK770] @ $549rr

+

iPod Docking Station

[Model No: SH-PD10] @ 130rr

I'd suspect that you should be able to get both at better prices

Hit up www.jvc.com.au they have a good selection of hi-fi systems a fair few are ipod ready + all the other features you need. From all the sites that i've currently looked at jvc have the best selection in a good range of prices too.

cheers

$2999, that doesn't even include the ipod dock, that's extra. You could build a very nice component system for the price of that unit that's for sure.

cheers

http://www.aktimate.com

Hey, I have a pair of these. They are a set of active speakers with an ipod dock and a bunch of connections in the back. They are top quality speakers designed by Mike Creek of Epos. Very simple design, no lights, etc. They come in black and white, have a remote control, and it even has a video out so that you can watch videos from your ipods on a monitor. I use them as PC speakers as well and have used them for the TV and they sound great.

Don't have radio, although you could get a radio tuner and play it through these. Definitely check them out. They are $650.