Sign in to follow this  
gummybear

wierd router problem

i have a dlink DIR-655 router and using optusnet cable as my ISP. i have my main computer & PS3 hooked up to the router via ethernet cables, about 3-4 laptops connected through wireless N (WPA security if thats of any concern)

everything works fine most of the time but here is my problem:

when my main computer is on, everything works. but when i turn it off, after awhile internet access for every other device connected stops working, so I unplug the ethernet cable that connects the computer to the router and instantly everything goes back! if i turn the computer back on then access goes back to normal.

it is so strange? has anyone experienced an issue like this before?

the computer and PS3 have static IP address's with the optusnet DNS servers put in. but i didn't think a computer could affect the router even when its not on!

Unusual problems are not uncommon with Dlink equipment.

You are right though, turning off your computer should not effect the rest of the network.

I am curious though, are you turning your computer off or just putting it to sleep?

Unusual problems are not uncommon with Dlink equipment.

You are right though, turning off your computer should not effect the rest of the network.

I am curious though, are you turning your computer off or just putting it to sleep?

sleep as in suspend or hibernate? well its not suspending and even if it was going into hibernation (which it isn't) that mode still fully turns off the computer.

very very strange. maybe i should stay away from dlink!

very very strange. maybe i should stay away from dlink!

This is a good idea.

Out of curiosity, when the problem occurs, if you issue an 'ipconfig /all' on the other PCs do they still have an IP address? Can they ping the router? Can they ping beyond the router? (say 193.200.193.48)

next time it happens i'll give it a try. as far as i can tell they are still connected to the network but cannot access the internet.