King_Of_The_Mountain

The most frustrating moments in a console game

There are times in some games that you just feel like flinging your controller across the room and then crying in a corner, or heading off to break something. It happens to everyone at some point. But in what game? and at what point?

For me, one of the most frustrating things I have put myself through, is finishing the water temple in Ocarina Of Time. I've even done it a few times now, yet it doesn't seem to get any easier. You just get lost and don't know what to do, at some points.

I have more frustrating moments, but first, whats yours?

There are times in some games that you just feel like flinging your controller across the room and then crying in a corner, or heading off to break something. It happens to everyone at some point. But in what game? and at what point?

For me, one of the most frustrating things I have put myself through, is finishing the water temple in Ocarina Of Time. I've even done it a few times now, yet it doesn't seem to get any easier. You just get lost and don't know what to do, at some points.

I have more frustrating moments, but first, whats yours?

http://forums.atomicmpc.com.au/index.php?showtopic=6314

Sure, fighting games, adventure games and action games have their frustrating sections, but for me, none of them compare to a robust game of Pro Evolution Soccer.

Dominating an entire game (60%+ possession, 80%+ passing completion. 10 or more shots on goal and so on), only then to be beaten 1-0 because your dip-shit defender forgets how to pass a ball, or your 'keeper stands rooted to the spot from a 30yd free kick.

And that's only part of it. What about the times when your most sublime passing moves are upset because the AI forgets to continue running down the wing, or their first touch is made of lead?

All of these moments make 90 minutes the most impossibly frustrating moments at times.

R6:Vegas is pissing me off at the moment.

That'll teach me for playing on Realistic I guess.

*sighs

Playing a FPS.

yeah for me this would also be it, so many times ive died on console fps because i suck at using a controller, i prefer my mouse and keyboard for them. =)

When I thought my console had RRODed literally two minutes before I'd have beaten Halo 3.

Fortunately, it was just a power issue.

R6:Vegas is pissing me off at the moment.

That'll teach me for playing on Realistic I guess.

*sighs

Vegas 1 on realistic is fucking horrible.

I really enjoyed being one-shotted by Deagle wielding terrorists that spot me the moment I come out a door, after fighting my way through a lobby and up a staircase.

Over

and

Over and

Over.

Sure, fighting games, adventure games and action games have their frustrating sections, but for me, none of them compare to a robust game of Pro Evolution Soccer.

Dominating an entire game (60%+ possession, 80%+ passing completion. 10 or more shots on goal and so on), only then to be beaten 1-0 because your dip-shit defender forgets how to pass a ball, or your 'keeper stands rooted to the spot from a 30yd free kick.

And that's only part of it. What about the times when your most sublime passing moves are upset because the AI forgets to continue running down the wing, or their first touch is made of lead?

All of these moments make 90 minutes the most impossibly frustrating moments at times.

i can understand your pain..

i have thrown my controllers numerous time because of AI's stupid, yet fatal, mistakes. (thank god, sixaxis is very light)

worst game i had was:

- comfortably leading 3-0 until minute 70+, then my best player, CR7 (on fire) was injured.

- got red card for a tackle committed by AI inside a penalty box.

- 2 stupid mistakes by Van der Sar.

- lost 3-4 in the end...

Alex Kidd in Miracle World, when you almost got to the end and lost your last life with no more continues...

...then had to start all over again.

Edited by hill60606

I can't speak for the state of it now because they may have patched it but i remember when i played R6:V1 i didn't get the achievement for finishing it on realistic even though i played through it twice. That was incredibly frustrating. Actually if i remember correctly they had to patch R6:V2 after launch for some of the achievements to work.

Vegas 1 on realistic is fucking horrible.

I really enjoyed being one-shotted by Deagle wielding terrorists that spot me the moment I come out a door, after fighting my way through a lobby and up a staircase.

Over

and

Over and

Over.

Yay!

I'm not the only one who has realised how ridiculous it is :P

I'm about half-way through so far.

*sighs some more

Some of 'em pull off some impressive shots though, that's for sure. Like, across a room, from 4 floors up, one hit kill.

:|

Probably dying in countless RPG's / FPS's and then realising I last saved my game about 40 minutes ago, and there's no auto save!

Worst ever!

And why did everyone find the Water Temple so much harder then the other Temples?

And why did everyone find the Water Temple so much harder then the other Temples?

Well, and this is just me talking, its the fact about the water level, you can access some points in the level with it high or low. But these points can only be accessed on 1 setting, not all of them. The problem is that you have to continuously backtrack to change the water level, only to discover you can't get to the room you were in before that required it to change, so you have to find another way around with all the limited options. I can't count how many times I have come to a dead end while doing this. And (with the exception of the forest temple, the first one as adult Link), they are fun to complete, the water temple just feels like a bad chore, cause there isn't much in there that can kill you, the came realises this and just leaves you alone with your sanity for a few hours.

Need for Speed Underground the origional.

Playing on hard with the last few levels, with the quickest car in the game and watching cars cruise past you....

and then....

if you do manage to stay in the lead for the 4 laps a Taxi will appear infront of you from a cross street with no way to avoid it just before the finish line and end your race.

Lost two PS2 controllers to that game.

Edited by ausjossman

I didn't have a problem with it at all, pretty straightforward really. Some people did manage to get confused, but there was only one path to go along at a time, so it ~should~ have been fine.

Need for Speed Underground the origional.

Playing on hard with the last few levels, with the quickest car in the game and watching cars cruise past you....

You tried the Skyline huh? It took (strangely) the RX-7 for me to be able to beat that last seven-fucking-lap race.

About twenty tries at it to finally beat it. Sadly this was on PC, so I had nothing safe to fling across the room, but it was damn tempting to.

throwing 30 ultra balls at a azelf and the fucker, on one health mind you, still keeps dodging them even tho he's fucking asleep. then he starts with the uproar shit again, and i'm back to the old heal, revive, heal bullshit.

fuck me, i am far too into pokemon diamond for my own good. even cheeky doesn't play it this much.

Not sure if these count as console games per say but for sure it would be either Late Boomer trophy on Super Stardust HD (watching the last bomb ship you need arrive as a rock from nowhere takes you out) or Beat Zico trophy on Wipeout HD which is pure evil.

Also Big Boss Emblem on MGS4 until I found the youtube walkthroughs.

Ninja Gaiden.

Both 1 and 2.

Especially the first boss in NG1 - that was the 'if you can't beat this guy, you don't want to play this game' guy.

Oh, and Einhander on the PSOne.

Took me about three hours to get past the first level.

Edited by Tergor