Sign in to follow this  
.exe

You don't realise how precious something is until its gone,

Hey all,

All right, two nights ago when I was browsing the atomicmpc forums my PC froze and stopped responding to anything. So I re-booted the PC and it POST-ed fine though when it went to read if there were any SATA HDDs attached it returned with the message,

"No device connected to Fast Track controller, BIOS not installed."

The message appears in the FastTrak BIOS screen when it scans for IDE Drives. Happens every time I boot the PC.

EDIT - Windows is installed on the SATA HDD that is connected to the on-board RAID controller. So seeing as it can't detect the drive it can't boot into windows and the usual message "No boot disk found..." and so on appears.

I have a single Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 320GB HDD connected to my on-board RAID controller. My mobo is a Soltek SL-75FRN2-RL and the on-board RAID controller is a Promise PDC20376 . The driver I am using for the RAID controller is Promise FastTraK 376 v1.00.1.37. My PC specs are in sig.

I could be wrong but my guess is that the driver has stopped working for the RAID controller, but I don't know how it happened or why. Now the only way that I know of re-installing the driver is by re-installing Windows, which I do not want to do because I have a lot of important files on the HDD. My other guess is that it may be that my on-board RAID controller has failed all together, but I'm not to sure.

My main issue at the moment is that I want to get the HDD working again so I can get all my files off it. I have a spare PC running Windows XP with SATA ports, so could I put the HDD in that and get the files? Or am I completely off track.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers, Nik

EDIT - I should mention that I have tried new SATA and Power cables going to the HDD.

Edited by .exe

So, to clarify -

You have a single 320gb SATA HDD with XP installed on your Soltek MB`s SATA port?

If so, you have no RAID Array and should have no problems accessing your data on your spare PC.

Or have I missed sumfink?

It's possible the hard reboot as screwed some bios settings. So first up I would go in to the bios and disable the Fasttrack raid as nothing is connected to it.

if still no luck then yes, slaving the drive to another PC either by connecting to a SATA port or using an external USB to SATA adaptor will work.

Ok, thanks. I propbably should have mentioned that I tried a new BIOS battery and re-set the settings, as well as disabled the controller via a jumper pin on the mobo.

I'll try and slave the drive with my spare PC.

Thanks for your help, cheers.

All right. Probably a n00b question, though how do you "slave" a SATA HDD?!

I know you probably don't slave it like an IDE HDD, but how can I get it working coincide with the other SATA HDD on the spare PC. Kinda like slaving a IDE HDD (I 'm new to SATA hard drives and RAID setups).

Cheers, Nik.

All right. Probably a n00b question, though how do you "slave" a SATA HDD?!

I know you probably don't slave it like an IDE HDD, but how can I get it working coincide with the other SATA HDD on the spare PC. Kinda like slaving a IDE HDD (I 'm new to SATA hard drives and RAID setups).

Cheers, Nik.

Unlike IDE connections that could have up to two drives per cable hence master and slave. SATA is one drive per cable. You just plug each end in.

My main issue at the moment is that I want to get the HDD working again so I can get all my files off it. I have a spare PC running Windows XP with SATA ports, so could I put the HDD in that and get the files?

Boot into windows on the spare PC with the spare HDD already plugged in & then give this a try.

http://www.alexnolan.net/articles/import_foreign_disks.htm

EDIT: You might need to upgrade the BIOS on the motherboard as well, check the manufacturer's website to see if there are updates for your board.

Edited by Thom0