Sign in to follow this  
chunky18887

Audioengine A5 back in stock!

Back in July Datafast posted a thread, on old atomic, about the Audioengine A5's at a low price.

Archived Thread Here

I'd been looking at these for a while and seeing that price made me take the plunge and order some. As detailed in the last thread, I'd been told they were on back order and should be coming in to the country late August. I figured it's not that long of a wait for these speakers, if all the reviews I'd read were true.

When September rolled around I still hadn't heard anything so I sent an email off and was told there was another month wait on them. This same pattern continued on for 3 months; "they'll be in stock in 4 weeks", 4 weeks later, "sorry they're still 4 weeks away"

This didn't bother me, as I work in retail and know there's sometimes nothing you can do when trying to get stock from overseas. I figured there'd be enough people complaining for me not to have to.

So yesterday I got an email

We are waiting for our shipment of Audioengine speakers to arrive from the importer. They called us today to say they have been sent to us today – so should be here early next week.

Sweet! They'll be here before christmas. It was only a SIX MONTH wait on these babys. oooh yeah.

But then I read further down...

The fall of the Australian Dollar has caused the prices to rise quite substantially, but I am offering a reduced price based on your previous order being with My Digital Home.

Audioengine 5’s $575 plus original shipping cost (RRP NOW $699 - Our new price $615)

You have been allocated a unit from our stock, but if we have not received notification from you by Monday that you wish to continue with your order, the order will be cancelled so the unit can become available for other interested persons.

WTF?! That's 120 bucks more? I've been quite patient, I think, waiting for these speakers to arrive, and now they want to charge me almost 30% more?

I'm really questioning whether or not I want to continue with this order.

Wicked Digital had them at $499 plus free shipping back in July, but were out of stock. The only reason I ordered from MyDigitalHome was I thought they had them in stock. As they were more expensive after factoring in shipping.

I wonder if Wicked Digital are honouring their original prices for people who ordered back then?

So what do you think Atomicans?

Just bite the bullet and pay the extra money, hoping that the speakers will make me forget all about how much I paid for them.

or

Act like your average retail customer and stomp my feet and yell until they give them to me for the original price.

Decisions, decisions...

Bloody exchange rates :(

Hmm...I would act very average............. but stay composed, negotiate as best you can, don't want them to get on the back foot ;)

Hope you get them down some.

Edited by datafast69

wicked digital has it for $649

http://www.wickeddigital.com.au/audioengin...ker-system.html

bit too dear for me..i think i'm going to pass, save up and buy a decent bookshelf instead.

Decent?

Grab these after you save some more

http://www.atcloudspeakers.com.au/modern/scm20-2.html

;)

But realistically I think It's a good idea, at least you will have more options in speaker/amp combination, not to mention the upgrade path :)

Edited by datafast69

I bit the bullet and bought a pair of A2's for $340.

I worked out on Ebay they are selling for $199 USD + around $50 USD shipping. It roughly works out to what I paid. Its a fair price to be honest. The $500 price sounds alright too but for a pair of speakers its a bit dear.

I bit the bullet and bought a pair of A2's for $340.

I worked out on Ebay they are selling for $199 USD + around $50 USD shipping. It roughly works out to what I paid. Its a fair price to be honest. The $500 price sounds alright too but for a pair of speakers its a bit dear.

$500 too much o_O

My pair of standmounts retail for $2500 and have been modded on top of that, mind you I would put them up against any standmount speaker retailing for $4000 to $5000.

I guess It's all relative to purpose and other equipment.

Let us know how you like the little A2's

Hey bbjai, where'd you pick up those A2's?

Same place that you mentioned, I am assuming

My Digital Home.

You can't say its ridiculous you can only say you won't buy it. The price is actually fairly fair for them. Let me demonstrate with current exchange rates:

on Ebay at RRP: $325 USD

Shipping: Roughly $100 USD

Total : $425 USD

Converted is around $600 on Travelex exchange rates.

Your price of $555 + shipping is actually not that bad if you think about it.

If you want to have a look I heard today that at Newtown in Sydney there is a store selling A2's. I want to see how much they got them for and if they are still selling at old exchange prices. I'll check it out and let you know.

I bought the A2's cause the price is roughly that. I'll post a detail review on them later.

I just couldn't be bothered waiting. You can't tell a shop to just drop prices based on prior exchange rates, its just not good business. Everyone is struggling at the moment.

You can't say its ridiculous you can only say you won't buy it. The price is actually fairly fair for them.

I understand the exchange rate, but wouldn't they have been invoiced the price when they ordered them, not when they recieved them.

They would have paid the low price back in july when the aussie dollar was near parity. So either they didn't actually order them or they(or someone else) may just be taking advantage of the

difference in the dollar.

It just seems a little weird. I know that if a customer buys something at work, I'll order it at the current price. If they have to wait a week and the price goes up in that time frame, they won't have to pay any more because when I ordered it, it was the original cheaper price.

I still don't know whether to go ahead and grab these....

Yeah....I reckon it stinks.

Although, there are a couple of the ways it works, a lot are charged the dollar's rate at the time the goods land in Australia while some at the time of order (that'd be cash up front)

Yep Logicprobe is right, especially in this current world financial climate there is no way a small luxury good firm such as Audioengine, or the distributor here in Australia for that matter ,would be delivery goods based on the exchange rate back then. The invoice would have been issued last week when they receipted goods.

Thats how it works now for most firms like this. Unless they had a hedge, which is highly unlikely. Or they paid by account, which is once again highly unlikely.

I got my A2's today!!

I must admit I am impressed they are generating better sound and MORE bass then my X530s. Its a step up but I can see if a purist got them they would want a pair of speakers that acutally had a seperate subwoofer. Looks like I gotta save again :( for the sub that is.

Mine are on the way, I have a feeling they should be here tomorrow. I hope someone is home to sign for them.

The guys over at MyDigitalHome also gave me free shipping, so that saved me about 60 bucks. Now I'm glad I stuck with it.

I gotta say they've been very good throughout this whole ordeal.

Mine are on the way, I have a feeling they should be here tomorrow. I hope someone is home to sign for them.

The guys over at MyDigitalHome also gave me free shipping, so that saved me about 60 bucks. Now I'm glad I stuck with it.

I gotta say they've been very good throughout this whole ordeal.

Did you get A5's or A2s?

Im assuming you got A5s. Im really tempted to get the sub now cause the bass is a bit lacking in the A2's it would rock with the bass i think. Or i could have just gone with a pair of A5's.

I wonder

Remember guys, the chain of components before the speakers play a part too, and a different sound card, DAC or what ever you have as a source can give a different presentation.................including more and/or better bass in some cases.

Just an example; I upgraded the filter caps & rectifier diodes in my DAC and now have more bass along with better dynamics...

But yeah....there are limits, just saying that the source can be a limiting factor too.

Let us know how you go chunky :)

Remember guys, the chain of components before the speakers play a part too, and a different sound card, DAC or what ever you have as a source can give a different presentation.................including more and/or better bass in some cases.

Just an example; I upgraded the filter caps & rectifier diodes in my DAC and now have more bass along with better dynamics...

But yeah....there are limits, just saying that the source can be a limiting factor too.

Let us know how you go chunky :)

yeh I have a sound blaster audigy don't know if it makes the cut.

I mainly listen to MP3s anyway though so i might have wasted my money buying such quality speakers.

The Audigy is still a pretty good card...

Good speakers are never a waste IMO.

Mate, rip some of your favorites to wave with EAC and try them out :D

Edited by datafast69

I still use my Audigy 2.

It's a great card and I have a lot of cards.

Do what DF69 says and hear the difference.

Your ears will thank you for it.

You might even be inducted into the audio nuts club with us!

I just did it

the difference is amazing

but the bass is lacking

Im starting to regret not spending extra to get a pair of A5s cause now i may have to shell out more for a S8, which mind you is a great sub in its own right,.

Is the S8 the Audioengine sub?

If so, I think you will forget any inconvenience, once you have it pumping out those tight bass lines :D

yeh it is the Audioengine sub and it should fit nicely into this system

it also cost a crap load ($800 odd) to be exact.

I could have just bought a Pair of A5's and not have this problem.

But i guess like the A2's + A5's is alot more better in terms of quality

Yeah I see where you are coming from.

Though with the sub you are going to be getting a lot better bottom end than with the A5's alone :)

I'm very interested in hearing how you like the sub...

Edited by datafast69

Subs usually annoy me cause a lot of people have the sub too loud, throwing the sound balance right out of whack.

It's like the bad old days of 'loudness' buttons!

Same here Logic'. loudness, balance and tone controls I can happily live without, a volume control is all that is essential.........if tone controls are needed then there is something wrong with the system :)

Though, I'm thinking the audioengine sub may be pretty seamless in It's integration with the A5's and A2's, but as you point out some people never properly adjust them to integrate correctly, or more ofter than not they are just mismatched with the speakers they are paired with.

Edited by datafast69