Sign in to follow this  
chunky18887

Audioengine A5 back in stock!

Yeah, I would do as Logic has advised, and shoot an email off to the distributor and let them know there is an issue/possible fault.

Cover yourself...

Edited by datafast69

Yeah, I would do as Logic has advised, and shoot an email off to the distributor and let them know there is and issue/possible fault.

Cover yourself...

Just sent the email

Hopefully they open before new years. Such a disappointment :( I was hoping to use it throughout the holidays too!!!

argh thats Christmas wreaked

Btw will it wreak the woofer or do somethign to my warranty if i keep using it? Like it works fine just has those noises when its not in use

Edited by bbjai

Nah......keep using it.

Won't effect the warranty.

Aiiight ill keep using it then. Do you think if a cap has blown it will take long to fix? The supplier I know for a fact doesn't have one left to give me as new lols.

Just to keep you updated, its really wierd, the sound comes and goes isn't always there. Like it can play music and not have it then suddenly belch. Wierd

Edited by bbjai

I wouldn't give it over until they either have a replacement to swap over or can give you a time when it'll be returned to you. (like 1 or 2 weeks, not months)

If they can't do either of them, I'd email the manufacturer direct and explain the situation.

I wouldn't give it over until they either have a replacement to swap over or can give you a time when it'll be returned to you. (like 1 or 2 weeks, not months)

If they can't do either of them, I'd email the manufacturer direct and explain the situation.

Yep

thats what I was thinking. I'm sorry to bother you with so many questions but like, i've plugged it into my A2's into them and then into my computer. I've left it on when i turned off my computer. This morning I come down and the sub is really hot, even when its on standby mode........

is this normal or should i be turning it off when I'm not using the compuiter

Well, might make it last a bit longer if you turn it off but the heatsinks do get quite hot.

yep

I've started it turning it off, but man the noise stopped so I'm a bit lost what to do

alls good

you've been a champ logicprobe thanks!

It'll be interesting to see if it does it again while you're turning it off.

Then, after a couple of days, leave it on and if it starts making noises again, it's a thermal problem.

It'll be interesting to see if it does it again while you're turning it off.

Then, after a couple of days, leave it on and if it starts making noises again, it's a thermal problem.

It makes like a pop noise when i turn it off. Which it did when I first got it anyway. IT hasn't made a single noise as of yet. And its been turned off for hours and then turned back on for the last 20 minutes or so. Christmas Day was when it happened and the weather is way hotter now. I'm quite confused by it all.

whats a thermal problem?

Transistors get hot when working, although it's probably going to be some sort of single chip amplifier in the box.

Something like this.

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3876.html

Anyway, the principles are exactly like a CPU.

The more juice you feed it, the more power you will get but at the same time, the hotter it will get and cause instability.

Silicon devices suffer a thing called thermal runaway, where the hotter they get, the less resiostance they offer, hence more and more current and heat until it suffers catastrophic failure.

Most packaged devices, like the one shown above have a thermal cutout, so they just stop working and won't start again until they've cooled down.

So, if yours isn't shutting down yet, it might not be too far out of spec yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they say, 'oh, it's just a normal running in thing'.

Edited by LogicprObe

Transistors get hot when working, although it's probably going to be some sort of single chip amplifier in the box.

Something like this.

http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM3876.html

Anyway, the principles are exactly like a CPU.

The more juice you feed it, the more power you will get but at the same time, the hotter it will get and cause instability.

Silicon devices suffer a thing called thermal runaway, where the hotter they get, the less resiostance they offer, hence more and more current and heat until it suffers catastrophic failure.

Most packaged devices, like the one shown above have a thermal cutout, so they just stop working and won't start again until they've cooled down.

So, if yours isn't shutting down yet, it might not be too far out of spec yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if they say, 'oh, it's just a normal running in thing'.

Nope its got a thermal cutoff, it says in the manual that it will switch itself off if it gets too hot.

And I jinxed myself because the sound started again. Which kinda sucks. I have no idea why it happens. Oh well I'll see what the guy has to say.

What I was trying to say, is that if the thermal cutoff isn't engaging, they will probably try and fob you off.

(A lot of joints are like that but not all)

If they care about their rep and the products they sell, they should try to help you.

I've had cases where I've put something back in with an annoying problem.....unit working, but not 100%......they've given it back saying there's nothing wrong with it cause all they did was plug it in and not send it away for proper testing.

What I was trying to say, is that if the thermal cutoff isn't engaging, they will probably try and fob you off.

(A lot of joints are like that but not all)

If they care about their rep and the products they sell, they should try to help you.

I've had cases where I've put something back in with an annoying problem.....unit working, but not 100%......they've given it back saying there's nothing wrong with it cause all they did was plug it in and not send it away for proper testing.

Ahhh yeh

I was sorta scared of that, because the noise has disappeared again and I'm just scared I'm not able to replicate the problem when I'm there. Its all good though, Audioengine do care about their reputation a bit so it should matter.

Audioengine might, but do their distributors and resellers care as much as them?

I hope they do.

Edited by LogicprObe

Audioengine might, but do their distributors and resellers care as much as them?

I hope they do.

Hahaha true, its a sorta scratchign sound. I'm not really sure it comes and goes which is quite wierd to be honest. Like just then had a bout of it for no reason at all.

Oh well see what he says

Cleaning up your connectors sometimes helps that.

Also, some connectors are not really to spec and can have a loose fit.

um sorry to sound dumb

connectors? whats that? I'm connecting it via a headphone plug from the sound card and RCA to the speakers. The power is just a standard power cord.

Turn them down and shove the plug in and out of the socket about 10 times, turning it slowly as you go (I know it sounds sus, but bear with me....) and make sure the RCAs are a tight fit as well.

A wipe with alcohol can't hurt either.

Also, has your soundcard got a seperate headphone socket to the Line Out?

Turn them down and shove the plug in and out of the socket about 10 times, turning it slowly as you go (I know it sounds sus, but bear with me....) and make sure the RCAs are a tight fit as well.

A wipe with alcohol can't hurt either.

Also, has your soundcard got a seperate headphone socket to the Line Out?

Ok will do, no it doesn't have a seperate headphone socket to the line out.

I don't know if thats the problem given it makes the sounds even when just plugged to the power with nothing plugged in. I think it might be somethign to do with my mains maybe

but doens't hurt to try i guess

Argh, OK.

Yeah.....back to the power supply theory then.

Ia ctually don't understand this theory

are u saying the power supply of the subwoofer is busted? I didn't know it could make noises that acutally affected the sub! and its so wierd that it only happens sometimes

All power supplies use capacitors which do take a bit of time to run in/settle down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor

It may be what your problem is.

If it keeps doing it less and less, it's probably what it is and should eventually disappear.

Ah i see

it is like not happenning as much anymore

hopefully thats the case and i can get back to enjoying the sound

you've been a champ logic

I'm GOING TO BURST IT OUT BUT IF ANYONE IS STILL LOOKING FOR THE A5's THEY ARE ON SPECIAL 35% OFF AT VISTRA AUSTRALIA for $460. BARGAIN PRICE