Sign in to follow this  
Takoma

A couple of PS3 questions

It may be that I'm on the cusp of purchasing a PS3. I've picked it over the 360 for a couple of reasons, first of which is Wipeout HD, others including familiar controller, Blu Ray capability, and a complete lack of interest in Halo, Gears, and other Xbox franchises.

Anyway.

I've decided on a PS3. But before I go rushing out like a mad bastard to wax several hundred dollars on something to play Street Fighter with, I have some questions.

1. Sound.

I'm intending to connect it to my 24in monitor, which has component input. I'd also like to connect it to my X-530's, which only have the green yellow and black 3.5mm headphone-style plugs. I couldn't really give a crap about surround, so I figure an RCA -> 3.5mm socket converter should do the trick, yeah? What if I decide to use my monitor's HDMI connector instead? Can the PS3 output video over HDMI, and still put out sound through the red and white RCA cables?

2. Noise.

It'll likely be next to my monitor, about three feet from my head. Will it be worth connecting the speakers at all? :P

3. HDMI.

My monitor has one HDMI port, that doubles as a DVI port. By which I mean it doesn't have DVI. This means my PC is currently using that port, via a DVI->HDMI cable that came with the monitor. Is there a relatively inexpensive gizmo around that will let me connect a couple of HDMI source cables to it, and let me choose which one goes to the monitor? (Like those A/V source selector boxes you used to get) That'd be a way around the sound problem above, if it came down to that, because I can output the HDMI's audio through a headphone jack at the side of the monitor.

4. Models.

Is there any reason (other than warranty and the chance to make an unboxing video) why I shouldn't look at a secondhand model with one of the smaller capacity HDD's? Have there been any other reliability or what have you changes to the hardware that would make a new one worthwhile? I know you can upgrade the HDD's, and that's something I might look at down the track, for now, am I likely to hit 40 or 80GB if I go a bit mental on demos and whatnot?

5. Media play.

As I understand it, you can stream movies and music to it from your PC, and have it play through whatever it is you've got it hooked up to. Am I likely to be able to play some --completely legal home movies of the kids on the trampoline that have absolutely nothing to do with my homie aXXo-- on it? Can I copy them to the HDD? Can I copy all my MP3's to the HDD? What's the music player like? Can I have cover art on file and a few vis modes? Cos that'd be totally sweet, should I ever purchase a gynormous TV.

6. Regions.

I seem to recall hearing that PS3 games are region free. True, false, or sort of?

7. Street Fighter.

When I buy it, I'll be buying Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix the same day. Last question, would anyone like a dragon punch up the arse?

Thanks guys :)

It may be that I'm on the cusp of purchasing a PS3. I've picked it over the 360 for a couple of reasons, first of which is Wipeout HD, others including familiar controller, Blu Ray capability, and a complete lack of interest in Halo, Gears, and other Xbox franchises.

Anyway.

I've decided on a PS3. But before I go rushing out like a mad bastard to wax several hundred dollars on something to play Street Fighter with, I have some questions.

Dude, there's no need to justify it :)

Don't let the haters round here scare you off.

2. Noise.

It'll likely be next to my monitor, about three feet from my head. Will it be worth connecting the speakers at all? :P

The PS3 is a fairly quiet machine.

4. Models.

Is there any reason (other than warranty and the chance to make an unboxing video) why I shouldn't look at a secondhand model with one of the smaller capacity HDD's? Have there been any other reliability or what have you changes to the hardware that would make a new one worthwhile? I know you can upgrade the HDD's, and that's something I might look at down the track, for now, am I likely to hit 40 or 80GB if I go a bit mental on demos and whatnot?

No. Personally I would opt for warranty though. There's nothing like the RROD on PS3 but lasers can still fail, etc.

As for space, 40 gig goes a long way. By the time in runs out, I could almost guarantee there's be several demos taking up space that you'll happily wipe and never think abotu again.

5. Media play.

As I understand it, you can stream movies and music to it from your PC, and have it play through whatever it is you've got it hooked up to. Am I likely to be able to play some --completely legal home movies of the kids on the trampoline that have absolutely nothing to do with my homie aXXo-- on it? Can I copy them to the HDD? Can I copy all my MP3's to the HDD? What's the music player like? Can I have cover art on file and a few vis modes? Cos that'd be totally sweet, should I ever purchase a gynormous TV.

You can play xvid, divx, .mp4, and a few other formats natively (either streaming or via connected external, or from the HDD itself). Beyond that you can you can play any other format through Tversity and the like. Not sure what you mean by "perfectly legal". You can play any media you like. You can copy it all to the HDD if you want, but it's not something I've done. Streaming over LAN is quick and easy.

As for album cover browser, I'm not sure.

6. Regions.

I seem to recall hearing that PS3 games are region free. True, false, or sort of?

All games are region free with a couple of extremely rare exceptions. Some Blurays are region free. Regular DVD playback has regular DVD region locking.

7. Street Fighter.

When I buy it, I'll be buying Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix the same day. Last question, would anyone like a dragon punch up the arse?

You should know that there is currently no release date for EU/AU SFII HD. It's on the PSN in the US and Japan, and no one knows why Europe/PAL has no version yet or when it's coming. I suspect some legals with territories or some similar bullshit.

It's on 360 here though, so I can't imagine the delay will be very long.

Edited by xfu

You can play xvid, divx, .mp4, and a few other formats natively (either streaming or via connected external, or from the HDD itself).

you can connect an external HDD to it for media, and save the internal HDD for game data? Sweet! Wouldn't even be worth replacing the internal drive then, I'd just do it that way.

Yeah as for #5.. there's no real need to copy stuff to the hdd if you can stream through TVersity..

I have mine plugged in rather than WIFI though as the WIFI would drop out on occasion and stuff me up halfway through a film.. that's kind of annoying..

TVersity beats others (Winamp Remote/Media Palyer 11) since it plays full screen for a start... I found the others did not... (but I didn't try very hard with either of them)

As for visualisations.. SFA as far as I can tell.. but again, I haven't tried very hard...

You can play xvid, divx, .mp4, and a few other formats natively (either streaming or via connected external, or from the HDD itself).

you can connect an external HDD to it for media, and save the internal HDD for game data? Sweet! Wouldn't even be worth replacing the internal drive then, I'd just do it that way.

Just be warned.. with USB external drives.. The other day I had some grief getting TVersity working, having just set up Vista 64Bit... My wife wanted to watch a few Gilmore Girls, so we plugged the WD MY Book 500GB ES edition in to the Sony..

Admittedly the Sony was charging a flat DS3 via the USB at the time and the drive was running through a USB hub... but by 20 minutes in, each episode would lose synch with the audio something bad...

2. Noise.

The PS3 is a fairly quiet machine.

I have my 360 on my desk and have no problem with it.

You'll be more then fine with a PS3.

As i understand it modding the PS3 HDD is fairly easy. It takes a standard laptop HDD and doesn't void the warranty, didn't someone on these forums mod their PS3 with a 250 gig HDD and then sent it in for repairs and got it all back repaired and fine with the issue of the custom hard drive never mentioned?

I run my sound into the telly with red white rca then from the telly to the Klipsh ProMedia 2.1 speakers and it totally rocks, it helps that my telly has HiFi audio built in and it puts out clean high dynamic range audio to the Head Phone socket {:))

Edited by Waltish

Just be warned.. with USB external drives.. The other day I had some grief getting TVersity working, having just set up Vista 64Bit... My wife wanted to watch a few Gilmore Girls, so we plugged the WD MY Book 500GB ES edition in to the Sony..

Admittedly the Sony was charging a flat DS3 via the USB at the time and the drive was running through a USB hub... but by 20 minutes in, each episode would lose synch with the audio something bad...

You can use a powered hub and run/charge a bunch of stuff at the same time.

As i understand it modding the PS3 HDD is fairly easy. It takes a standard laptop HDD and doesn't void the warranty, didn't someone on these forums mod their PS3 with a 250 gig HDD and then sent it in for repairs and got it all back repaired and fine with the issue of the custom hard drive never mentioned?

It's all mentioned in the PS3 instruction manual. Warranty isn't an issue. Backing up and restoring data over USB is because it is slow and a pain in the @rse.

It's all mentioned in the PS3 instruction manual. Warranty isn't an issue. Backing up and restoring data over USB is because it is slow and a pain in the @rse.

Cheers for clearing it up.