Sign in to follow this  
pb111

120MM fans

Hey guys, just want a little insight on things here... i had a Noctua NF-P12 i think it supposedly pushes around 53 or so CFM for 1300 rpm. This is my CPU cooler by the way, my TRUE.

So i had that for like a good 6 months or so if not more, i was thinking what the hell so i ordered n got a Scythe slip stream 2000rpm that supposedly pushes out 115 or so CFM. When i first plugged the new beast in it does feels like it's pushing out hell lot more air than the noctua, but once i've gotten inside windows check my temp with coretemp (software i know but still) it's telling me not only did it not decrease my temp by a few degree, it's possibly even made it a few degrees higher in all situations~ damn it D:

Current Temps are:

Core 1 , 2 : idle : low 40 - 45, when it's cooler 38 - 40 Load : under 65

Core 3 , 4 : idle : 38 - 40 , when it's cooler 30 - 35 Load : under 60 or low 60s

My rig is Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ, 4gig ddr2 800, nvidia 260GTX+ with a Lian Li PC-A71 case with 6 fans inside the case(not including the cpu cooler fan)... how's the temp?! considering my cpu is o/c'd and im from Brisbane.

edit: btw i just changed the thermal paste like a month ago or so.

Edited by pb111

the slipstreams are not good as a heatsink fan

the way they get high airflow for the rpm they do is to reduce blade angle which also reduces air pressure which is needed to push air threw the fins on a heatsink

scythe kaze 2000rpm would be far better for this

and the s-flex fans are a ok balance but mostly they have nice bearings for quiet operation

oh true... thanks, so i should just use the slip stream for like the normal case fan huh? and get an ultra kaze for cpu cooler?

oh true... thanks, so i should just use the slip stream for like the normal case fan huh? and get an ultra kaze for cpu cooler?

Yep that's a good idea.

But also, make sure to check that your case has more than adequate ventilation. Otherwise the faster fan will find itself circulating the hot air through the heatsink instead of pushing cooler air through.

I have a big 38mm thick delta 120mm fan that performs just as good at half speed as full speed. Partly because the heatsink is a blow-down design and my case's outdated airflow profile is reaching its limit.

thanks man, ordered a ultra kaze and a few more slip stream to see how things go :) i put the slip stream to replace the original case fans from the lian li case, that thing blow tonnes of air into my video card area! good stuff.

hehe.

Delta Organ Grinder anyone?

i was about to say cut out the middle man and stick a pedestal fan in there but then i realised the delta would push more air LOL

Hey guys, just want a little insight on things here... i had a Noctua NF-P12 i think it supposedly pushes around 53 or so CFM for 1300 rpm. This is my CPU cooler by the way, my TRUE.

So i had that for like a good 6 months or so if not more, i was thinking what the hell so i ordered n got a Scythe slip stream 2000rpm that supposedly pushes out 115 or so CFM. When i first plugged the new beast in it does feels like it's pushing out hell lot more air than the noctua, but once i've gotten inside windows check my temp with coretemp (software i know but still) it's telling me not only did it not decrease my temp by a few degree, it's possibly even made it a few degrees higher in all situations~ damn it D:

Current Temps are:

Core 1 , 2 : idle : low 40 - 45, when it's cooler 38 - 40 Load : under 65

Core 3 , 4 : idle : 38 - 40 , when it's cooler 30 - 35 Load : under 60 or low 60s

My rig is Q6600 @ 3.2GHZ, 4gig ddr2 800, nvidia 260GTX+ with a Lian Li PC-A71 case with 6 fans inside the case(not including the cpu cooler fan)... how's the temp?! considering my cpu is o/c'd and im from Brisbane.

edit: btw i just changed the thermal paste like a month ago or so.

Get a new CPU heatsink of clean it or watter cool it or get another fan for it

Get a new CPU heatsink of clean it or watter cool it or get another fan for it

He has a TRUE. He doesn't need a new heatsink.

*pops head in for my usual rant*

The 'double ball bearing' fans for $5 at MSY are just as good as any expensive fan ive ever used, and are literally silent at 7v *flee*

The 'double ball bearing' fans for $5 at MSY are just as good as any expensive fan ive ever used, and are literally silent at 7v *flee*

Hell yeah. One hyped up silent fan from Noctura is almost equivalent in price to 2 or even 3 Delta AFBs.

I think what is at fault here is cheap case design. More companies are embracing the thin stamped steel nonsense. What's more, they're making them with more and more perforated side panels that just makes PC cases look like oversized hamster cages than a solid PC case. What this means is that it's all the more easy for your barely audible fan to be heard.

I still have the old school super heavy steel chieftech case, and having the side panel on and off is a whole universe of difference.

Can anyone vouch for those fans in terms of airflow/rpm/noise or their OEM? I'm looking to pick up a few cheap 120mm fans.

Can anyone vouch for those fans in terms of airflow/rpm/noise or their OEM? I'm looking to pick up a few cheap 120mm fans.

If you want one right from the original manufacturer, there are plenty. And in reality, majority of the silent fans from brands like cooler master (main Delta partner), scythe (NMB) or silverstone (everflow) are just repackaged and rebranded (optional perks include molex connectors and funky colors/LEDs) fans of the following brands... for price and performance, you can't go wrong with a Delta or NMB. Sanyo also makes a decent range of fans. Panaflo fans are known to be reliable and silent too, but generally pricier than Delta or NMB.

I'll probably head around to MSY in the coming days and pick up a few. Some cheap CMs at the very least.

Thanks ph33liX.

I'll probably head around to MSY in the coming days and pick up a few. Some cheap CMs at the very least.

Thanks ph33liX.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/cpu/fan-mass...art1-page1.html

Make sure to get the Cooler Master SAF-S84-E1-GP (80x80x25mm) or SAF-S12-E1-GP (120x120x25mm) as they are the Delta variants that feature sealed fluid dynamic bearing design as reviewed in the above link.

Their lower end variants aren't all that bad either, at least featuring a single ball bearing + sleeve bearing combo which isn't as fucked up as a whole sleeve bearing design.

All the best.

wow so much replies had been added since i last replied, well i just tried done testing my new fans and could not stand the noise LOL.

4 scythe slip stream 1900 rpm + 1 ultra kaze 3000 rpm LOLOLOL got so annoying i took 2 of the slipstreams off within 5 minutes.

And as for my case design in relation to someone's comment, it's not so bad, after all it's a Lian Li it's a full tower case so its quite spacious with i believe enough ventilation i suppose. But yeah 5 scythe in one case is too annoying, even now just 3 of them is still so annoying... anyone interested in buying a few scythes LOL ? 20 each, close to brand new, only been used for 5 mins. PRICE NEGOTIABLE LOLOL.

If it wasn't for the fact that i have no room to lay my big case flat, i would've purchased a TRUE copper, then i'd get rid off all of the slipstreams n maybe just leave my ultra kaze there. =T

EDIT: nah! it is official! I'm gonna sell these fans hahaha too noisy... even just 1 ultra kaze is too noisy.... now its like i can't even hear the computer running! (took all of them off n put back my lian li OEM fans + noctua)

Edited by pb111

Thanks ph33liX.

Make sure to get the Cooler Master SAF-S84-E1-GP (80x80x25mm) or SAF-S12-E1-GP (120x120x25mm) as they are the Delta variants that feature sealed fluid dynamic bearing design as reviewed in the above link.

Their lower end variants aren't all that bad either, at least featuring a single ball bearing + sleeve bearing combo which isn't as fucked up as a whole sleeve bearing design.

All the best.

Headed over to MSY today and picked up three 1200RPM CM fans for $10 each. I'm pretty happy with their noise level to be honest. Very quiet. I don't remember (ie forgot to note down) the model number, but its a ball-bearing 50k hours design.

wow so much replies had been added since i last replied, well i just tried done testing my new fans and could not stand the noise LOL.

4 scythe slip stream 1900 rpm + 1 ultra kaze 3000 rpm LOLOLOL got so annoying i took 2 of the slipstreams off within 5 minutes.

And as for my case design in relation to someone's comment, it's not so bad, after all it's a Lian Li it's a full tower case so its quite spacious with i believe enough ventilation i suppose. But yeah 5 scythe in one case is too annoying, even now just 3 of them is still so annoying... anyone interested in buying a few scythes LOL ? 20 each, close to brand new, only been used for 5 mins. PRICE NEGOTIABLE LOLOL.

If it wasn't for the fact that i have no room to lay my big case flat, i would've purchased a TRUE copper, then i'd get rid off all of the slipstreams n maybe just leave my ultra kaze there. =T

EDIT: nah! it is official! I'm gonna sell these fans hahaha too noisy... even just 1 ultra kaze is too noisy.... now its like i can't even hear the computer running! (took all of them off n put back my lian li OEM fans + noctua)

Try taking out the black and red wires from the connectors then connect the red to 12v and black to 5v to supply your fans with 7v. They should sound much more bearable and maybe even become silent.

Thanks ph33liX.

All the best.

Headed over to MSY today and picked up three 1200RPM CM fans for $10 each. I'm pretty happy with their noise level to be honest. Very quiet. I don't remember (ie forgot to note down) the model number, but its a ball-bearing 50k hours design.

Wow, that's a decent price.. Congrats on your purchase.