ryangzzz

Could help with some expert advice

I'm fairly new here and i loved how the pros answer to questions in details, so i'm gonna stay here and ask some questions, putting my full trust into your hands =D

i'm building a very new pc for my christmas holidays (yes, its a gift to myself.. budget came from my whole year savings *pout*). the only problem is, i dont know how much power i would need to run this system and also if just using cooling from stock+casing(CoolerMaster HAF 932) would be sufficient. I am badly in need of help.. these are my system specs..

MOBO - XFX MB-N780-ISH9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 780i SLI Intel Motherboard *Bought*

Ram - 4x OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 / 1066MHz / Platinum XTC / NVIDIA® SLI-Ready Edition 5-5-5-15 2.1-2.3v *Bought*

Proc - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550

GPU - XFX NVIDIA Geforce GTX260 (Core 216) 896MB GDDR3 BLACK EDITION

HDD - Western Digital Caviar 1TB 32mb SATAII

DVD - Pioneer DVD+/-RW 20x12x20x Dual LayeR DVDReWriter Drive/DVD-RAM/SATA

Casing - Cooler Master HAF Chassis RC-932-KKN1 P4 ATX Casing

Heatsink - Xigmatek HDT- s1283

PSU IN MIND - Corsair Tx 650w

This is gonna be the first time i'm building a "semi-enthusiast" set and will be doing some MINOR overclocking to this system, but before i do i would love some tips and advice on whether or not it will work out.

Thanks in advance for all comments, be it good or bad, and i would like to know if you guys have any more ideas that i can add or change in this system.

*UPDATE*

thanks to the help of our fellow atomicans, i've decided to stick to using Intel Core2Quad Q9550 as my processor (double the price of q6600, but well worth it since its based of the newer penryn chip.

and also i've added xigmatek HDT-s1283 to my system list!

Edited by ryangzzz

IMHO, the Sapphire HD4870 1G GDDR5 PCI E TVO Sapphire HD4870 1G GDDR5 PCI E TVO would be a better choice than the GTX260 (see issue 92) And I also own one lol and early Christmas present to me.

If you are going to overclock, even a little you may as well spend a few extra dollars and get one of these, Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme Other than that I would be happy with that setup, but I am sure others will also have some great suggestions.

EDIT: Yea I just looked at that mobo and also just noticed the (brought) at the end of the sentence, bugger! As Tech-kid suggested maybe you can get a swap on the mobo. *Don't Know how I missed that, been off my game lately :( .

Edited by bowiee

Well it's pointless getting a HD4870 when he's already bought the POS 780i board. Any chance you can return it? Get a P45-DS4P instead. It's serious value.

Q6600 are really past their used by date and I really don't recommend them. A great Intel CPU would be a Q9450 if you can still get your hands on one since they've been discontinued. Otherwise the Q9400 is exactly the same just with half the cache. Or if you have a big wallet then get a Q9550.

Honestly, the HD4870 is better than the GTX260 but you've bought the SLi board already which IMO isn't wise.

Apart from that the HDD and PSU are fine.

well, i can't return the two things that i've bought(mobo and ram) cos it's already past 3 days. I haven't bought the rest though and i would certainly rethink about the processor. Actually, i have.. Also, I've read reviews from the web about the xfx geforce 260/216 core black edition, it really loses out to the 4870x2 but it does really well on it's own for some thing cheaper i guess. Even better than the 280's in alot of areas. This is for the black edition ones though..and it isn't that hot.

i'm not really sure if it will be safe to have this system set up with the psu and casing i had in mine, without third party coolers or heat sinks.

However, i love the advice on the processor and i really appreciate it cos now i'll be looking for the later editions of the quad like the q9xxx stuff.. So the haf932 and the psu will fit this system properly? It might be over kill but i really love how the casing looks and also how it's still as efficient as how great it looks and how high the price is. Lol..

No offence, but i'm more of a intel and nvidia fan. I know the 4870x2 are now considered top of the hill, but i just can't seem to get myself interested in ati no matter how hard i've tried to convince myself. Reviews, friends, testing, and still i can't.. I've been in love with nvidia the first time i used it, and i've been using it ever since. I may need to get some counseling haha!

nvidia is still fine its just not good value at the moment two gtx260+ will compete fairly well with a 4870x2 it will just cost you a lot more

okay.. Sorry.. I just love nvidia.. Hehe.. But i agree that it's really expensive compared to ati, and the performance are nearly on par with each other.. And would you guys recommend any heatsinks? I was thinking of the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or go for the asus lion square (just read about that from the atomic mag i bought today, we're one month slow which really s*x).

i'd prefer a system with nice lights in it, since i have a semi-window on one side. any nice recommendations for led-lit-items? its nice to look at too =)

Edited by ryangzzz