ryangzzz

question for a new pc builder

i was wondering what would be the effect on my system, using a xfx nforce motherboard which supports up to 8gb 1200mhz sli ram with 1.8v output slots. I'm using 4x ocz platinum edition ddr2 pc2 8500 1066 mhz 2.1-2.3v. I just realised my mobo would be giving out only 1.8v, and how would it hit my ram since my ram would need 2.1v. Would i get lowered performance? Would it spoil some things? I heard of people using something like this and it works but i have no clue whatsoever as to how or why. I'm guessing sinbe this is a board that allows us to adjust some timings, i could tweak the voltage output and give my ram what it needs, 2.1v instead. Is that right? Could anyone help with some explanation and how it would work out? Sorry i'm a learning oc'er and this is my first time doing this.

And also if anyone can tell me if the new asus lion square third party cooler will fit on my mobo, considering the huge heatsink my 780 currently has built in. I just read the reviews on atomic magazine and i loved it, but worried that it might not fit properly and thus create a counter reaction because it's actually too close to the heatsink in some ways. I'm not very sure, it's just a made up theory. Can someone verify this? Thanks in advance.

To get the RAM at full performance you'd likely have to set it up manually anyway. So you'd go into the BIOS and set the frequency and timings and voltage. Your board should be able to do all these things.

Since the mainboard isn't listed on the MB Compatibility list, I have no idea if it'd fit.

yeah i checked the list, and the lists only shows mobo's made by asus.. So i don.t know if other brands would fit.. But it did write that it's compatible with 775, although that's processor.. Lol.. So i was just enquiring here since you guys would know quite a bit more than i do. Asus hasn't replied me yet, been nearly a day..