Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
robzy

Top Gear Australia preview

I don't need it to be better than the UK one - just close to as good. The thing that makes the original work, though, is the wit of the presenters and the way they interact. I'm not confident that they can replicate that even in the UK (if they needed a whole new cast for some reason), let alone in a different country.

See how it goes, I suppose.

Car shows are very hit and miss and do depend a lot on personalities.

Just look at Fifth Gear - similar to Top Gear so far as format and the type of things they do, but boring as batshit because the hosts are just... err... boring.

You can't create really TG UK in Australia since TG Oz will be really a different show with our slant on ze world.

You can't create really TG UK in Australia since TG Oz will be really a different show with our slant on ze world.

Your use of the word really makes me want to really fart.

Be interesting to see just what it's like. I really really hope that I'm not disappointed by it.

I have the same feelings as 1shot.

I am actually a bit disappointed I was hoping the UK hosts would come to Aus for the season.

I am actually a bit disappointed I was hoping the UK hosts would come to Aus for the season.

That would be disasterous.

Clarkson would either be a total boor the entire time ("Oooh, it's too hot. The flies! You can't do Mach 4 on the roads or the dropbears and kangaroos will arserape you." etc), or he'd have no material. Every reference he makes to Aus atm seems to be rubbishing the place.

May would die of heatstroke within 10 minutes of arriving. (We all saw his naked Audi-driving)

Maybe Hammond would like it here... But he'd be intimidated by all the women being a foot taller and massing twice as much as he does. :P

I have been doing some work with these guys for the last 4 or 5 months they were extremely tight lipped about what it was they were even doing initially and as we are huge fans of the UK show we have been giving them curry over not stuffing the whole thing up.

I don't think its going to be great but it might be okay a rung below Fifth Gear maybe which is sometimes on par with Top Gear and Top Gear is over for this season anyway. Clarkson and Hammond do appear in the first season though.

I just think they are going to run out of cars to test in Australia some of the locations they have used so far are amazing, but I have fears it will turn out like every other aussie car show that is a great big advert for the car companies with hosts afraid to rip cars to shreds for fear of losing access to future cars.

Looks like they have an airport to do their test - maybe Avalon?

Just hoping they don't try to clone every aspect of the original - and that includes The Stig. If they go out and create their own identity and image then it should work.

Part of me thinks Doug Mulray would have worked well if he'd been asked to co-host (he is a car-nut). But another part thinks he'd just try and dominate, plus he'd probably ruin it all by attempting smutty humour every second sentence.

Nothing can be better than the UK top gear, nothing.

I’m just hopping ours isn’t embarrassing.

It probably will be embarassing Tom.

They're under enormous amounts of pressure to pull this off...they'll fuck it up somehow.

Yep. Can't get too optimistic about it.

Just 2 wishes:

1. Hope it doesn't create a national embarassment.

2. Hope it's better than the US version.

Anyone else notice they showed the lotus symble alot ? If they have been bought out already im going to be pissed.

They have used a few runways in the NT (there is a heap of unused ones up there) I think the first or second episode is a 4WD showdown (MEH) but I think the original plan of opening the show with 4WD's has been slowly loosing support. I know they spent a lot of time in the NT in all sorts of fourbies though.

And lotus is a shit car according to Top Gear anyway. If they are not going nuts in top tier vehicles instead of things dentists and accounts buy why are the even bothering?

Yep. Can't get too optimistic about it.

Just 2 wishes:

1. Hope it doesn't create a national embarassment.

2. Hope it's better than the US version.

Lol, have to agree!

Its just not the same to watch hearing an Australian accent either.

Though, I hope its a huge hit! Give me something to watch on TV.

I am desperately hoping that it isn't killed by cultural cringe. There are an awful lot of people who are thinking that, just because it is Australian, it'll be rubbish. They won't even give it a chance, having very closed minds. I'm keeping mine open. I think it'll be alright.

I am desperately hoping that it isn't killed by cultural cringe. There are an awful lot of people who are thinking that, just because it is Australian, it'll be rubbish.

Worst thing is, if its not given a chance, then it WILL flop as it wont generate them enough money