Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Apocrypha

HTC Touch HD User impressions and review

Well I just bought the HTC Touch HD, and it is more or less the most complete phone ever made, bar none.

3.8" (!) touchscreen -- very responsive, even though it is resistive and not capacitative (I know why -- need stylus sometimes), and has the AMAZING resolution of 800x480, which is the most orgasmic handheld screen ever made, IMO.

Windows Mobile 6.1 with TouchFlo 3D -- looks great, I spend 90% of my time in the Touch Flo areas of the OS, so it looks pretty

HSDPA 7.2Mbps, GSM (900/1900/2100) -- no NextG :(

Wifi 802.11g, Bluetooth with a million protocols supported, including using an external KEYBOARD lol

A-GPS -- works great with the tomtom software I have installed

5-megapixel camera (no flash though) which takes pretty good pictures -- surprisingly so for a mobile phone

3.5mm headphone jack; plugged-in headphones double as FM radio antenna -- so useful

Comes with 8GB MicroSD card in the bundle, so yeah, got storage?

AMAZING sexiness, physically the same size as the iPhone, but a little heavier.

I'm with 3, and if you talk to Priority Care (ask to be transferred from their normal Care line) they will give you the deal that is targeted at iPhone customers, or just buy it online. Whatever, lol. $49 = 49 Cap $350 of calls/SMS/MMS/video calling, plus $150 free 3-to-3 + 1GB data (data is a must for the Touch HD); $69 = 69 Cap with $650 of calls/SMS/MMS/Video calls and $350 free 3-to-3 + 2GB data. All the info is on their website.

But the best part of all is that they give you $300 credit on your account, so if you get the $49 deal like I did, you get the first 6 months of your bill paid in advance! Win! Essentially that means the phone costs $900, which is a little more palatable.

As I say though, the phone is EVERYTHING in one device -- phone, 3.5G modem for a laptop, proper GPS (if you have software -- tomtom is great), wifi access point, internet browsing device, pocket PC for email and management of about a billionty contacts, document editor, music/video/YouTube player (the dedicated YouTube client is pretty slick), gaming platform (ok, that one is a stretch, but the Bubble Breaker game is addictive, and there is always Solitaire)...

I couldn't be happier. It is, quite simply, the sex. The 4 guys that I work with who own iPhones are now SHAMED. Media playback is better, with far broader format and codec support via useful apps that are around for free. Sync with PC couldn't be easier -- just plug it in and its already done -- which is scary fast. There are a million apps out there, but because of the lack of an App Store equivalent (hurry Microsoft, you're losing!) they are all over the place. Most however are free, which is nice. Threaded SMS is nice. The 'Weather' tab is the coolest thing ever -- animated weather thingies for cities that you designate, then the device updates the weather (5-day forecast) at an interval you choose, over 3G data or wifi (I use the latter mostly).

Oh, and REMOTE DESKTOP -- it is the ultimate win. I have in my pocket access to my desktop at home from anywhere I have 3G data coverage -- that is the best thing about the WinMo platform IMO. By far.

Ok, so that's the praise. There are a couple niggles, however.

There are the odd occasions where the device will just pause for about 5 seconds while it does something other than what I want it to do. They are more frequent when running a load of apps at once, which I try to avoid. By the way, the ability to CHOOSE whether or not to multi-task with my mobile apps is so much better than the "Home screen or bust" approach Apple has taken. HTC's little task manager thing is the most useful addition to a WinMo device, and it's accessible. Still, pauses are frustrating. Not common, I might see one a day, but they are annoying. I must say though, I've never had a hard lock or had to do a hard reset, which is a credit to HTC IMO. Media Player Mobile and IE Mobile suck balls. Really. Shamefully. But Opera and CorePlayer are great, can't fault them yet.

The best, though, is when I take it out of my pocket and some ignorant clod asks me "Is that the iPhone?" with a somewhat quizzical tone, because it would be a funny-looking iPhone that I owned (lol, rhyme). Then I say, "Fuck your iPhone, this thing kicks its ass." And I proceed to show them how my device is more capable in almost every way. Imperfect WinMo aside, it is just better than Apple's offering.

But then it should be, it was fuck-off-expensive. No carrier subsidy (but see above, thanks 3!) and no NextG 850MHz band support (why must you be different, Telstra, WHY? -- but then, who cares? Telstra is a rip off anyhow). But it is the ultimate all-in-one device. It does EVERYTHING... No really, everything. There is no feature missing. Even FM radio. Cop that. All out of the box, no less (except CorePlayer).

So yeah, it does everything, with the occasional snag that is easily overlooked IMO, and it is the sexiest tech that I've ever owned.

I'm going to go and stroke it now. Mmmm... Love it.

I... I hate you.

I really really really really really want one.

But I just can't justify the price at the moment.

Picking up my Omnia on 3's $69 cap tomorrow instead.

Knowing me, I'll get the shits with the phone, sell it down the track and buy whatever the latest and greatest is :P

How's the camera?

Well I just bought the HTC Touch HD, and it is more or less the most complete phone ever made, bar none.

<snip>

It does EVERYTHING... No really, everything. There is no feature missing. Even FM radio. Cop that. All out of the box, no less (except CorePlayer).

So yeah, it does everything, with the occasional snag that is easily overlooked IMO, and it is the sexiest tech that I've ever owned.

I'm going to go and stroke it now. Mmmm... Love it.

ya know, I have been researching a replacement phone for myself and it came down to the Touch Pro (with grumbles about the 3.15mp cam) then BAM out comes this little ripper of a phone, massive screen, bigger cam... it is ticking all my boxes and then I see it has NO FLASH - what is with that? HTC design the ultimate phone and it is perfect... except for not having a flash... why oh why does this happen? I love model X except for <this>, and model Y is great except for <that>... the Touch HD would be everything I ever needed and more save for the non-existant flash

and BAM along comes the N97 - which by the way DOES have a flash as well as all the other features I am interested in. Make me a Touch HD with a flash and I will be the number 1 fanboy (girl)

I know it is a small thing, but I am disappointed

Camera is decent, but a flash would be nice. but who cares? The HD isn't a cameraphone, its the ultimate media, browsing and usefulness feature phone/PDA-on-steroids. Flash us about the least important thing.

Oh, and yes, I'm typing from it right now. Atomic renders perfectly, very impressive stuff from the Opera browser.

Landscape qwerty FTW!

Also, I feel the love here guys. Mmm hmmm. :)

Where do you live?

Just so I know where to send the muggers to get it off you.

k?

/jealousy.

I too have just picked up a HTC Touch HD and agree with the sexiness about it - it is the all-in-one device I had been waiting for, however I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make the device use Wi-Fi instead of HSDPA when it is available.

I've been Googling for the last 2 days and still can't find a how to guide or a simple explanation of the systems for connections :s

Anyone know of any sites they can point me to?

Apocrypha, HTC have released a hotfix on their site for fixing a pausing issue - http://www.htc.com/www/supportdownloadlist...=sd&cat=all

Their description states the following:

Hot fix to enhance response time for HTC Touch HD

Sometimes the screen stops responding for about 3 to 5 seconds when running an application that needs to use the stylus to click the screen repeatedly within a short time.

For example, the windows built-in software like SMS, email, solitaire, etc.

Not sure if this will address the problems but it should help.

Ah yes, I love firmware updates! BOOYAH!

armenj, go to Settings tab --> Communications manager --> toggle data connection off, turn wifi on, and there you go. :)

Love HTC, love updates, love this phone!

The best, though, is when I take it out of my pocket and some ignorant clod asks me "Is that the iPhone?" with a somewhat quizzical tone, because it would be a funny-looking iPhone that I owned (lol, rhyme). Then I say, "Fuck your iPhone, this thing kicks its ass." And I proceed to show them how my device is more capable in almost every way. Imperfect WinMo aside, it is just better than Apple's offering.

Speaking of kicking arse:-

Apple iPhone 527 Frames 320 x 480 2008.03.31

HTC Touch HD 84 Frames 480 x 800 2008.10.30

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?benc...=-2&oldal=0

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?benc...=-2&oldal=2

Edited by hill60606

Speaking of kicking arse:-

Apple iPhone 527 Frames 320 x 480 2008.03.31

HTC Touch HD 84 Frames 480 x 800 2008.10.30

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?benc...=-2&oldal=0

http://www.glbenchmark.com/result.jsp?benc...=-2&oldal=2

Careful Hill. Considering that there is so much iPhone hate in this thread your likely to get your head bitten off.

Ah yes, I love firmware updates! BOOYAH!

armenj, go to Settings tab --> Communications manager --> toggle data connection off, turn wifi on, and there you go. :)

Love HTC, love updates, love this phone!

Let's hope that the next version of winmo rips off some more stuff from Apple and then it might be a nicer experience roaming in and out of known wifi connections.

Edited by The Tick

Careful Hill. Considering that there is so much iPhone hate in this thread your likely to get your head bitten off.

When I play music with my iPhone all the neighbors come round, "TURN DOWN THE MUSIC" on goes the DRAGONFORCE pumping @ 160watts per channel and then it's kick arse time!

Posted Image

(Other speaker is behind me).

Edited by hill60606

LOL

What does that review even mean anyway?

Apple ripped off WinMo HARD. No-one seems to notice. Right from the very IDEA of a computer software company releasing a phone (and you've got nothing there -- WinMo blazed the trail that Apple followed; in different markets perhaps, but they are conceptually very similar) to the signatures at the bottom of emails sent from the device -- WinMo had "Sent from my Windows Mobile" long before Apple could copy them with "Sent from my iPhone." I thought that was hilarious when I first noticed.

Get real man. Tech industries are always like that -- some call it intellectual copyright violation, I call it cross-pollination. Everyone copies everyone else's ideas, just making them original enough to avoid lawsuits.

Plus, for serious, I know that the iPhone camera is shit. There are that many iPhone owners that I know that are bitterly disappointed with the camera on the iPhone. I work with 4 of them, in the IT industry. So yeah, that's the measurement that matters. But anyway, they're both phonecams, compared to a $300 off-the-shelf digicam, they both suck. I got a 10.1mp Pentax for Christmas, and it shits on either of them. So yeah. The real killer feature of this phone is the SCREEN anyway -- resolution, sharpness and pure sex. Oh, and I can actually MMS the photos my phone takes... LOL.

IMO, the iPhone is an iPod Touch with some cell radios and GPS baked in. And that makes it like $700+ more expensive. Ripoff. Not good enough for my money. If I really get entranced by the App Store and its many goodies, or by the emergence of an Apple gaming platform, or whatever non-phone and non-GPS features that the iPhone has, I'll go buy an iPod Touch and be happier.

Edited by Apocrypha

Were you aware the term PDA originated at the launch of the Apple Newton in 1992?

Anyway I don't have time to discuss how worldwide sales of the iPhone beat sales of WinMo devices from all manufacturers combined in Q3 2008.

I'm going back to 'Sim City' EA has done an excellent job of porting Sim City 3000 from the PC to the iPhone, it's practically identical.

I seems HTC Touch HD city succumbed to a number of natural disasters, nuclear blasts, riots, fires and UFO attacks.

Mayor Winmo did not do a very good job, I don't think he made it out of his mansion alive.

Enough of the Simcity, now I think I'll CREATE an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my scores, I'll EDIT it to add more later.

It's a bit tiresome to boot up my PC, I know, I'll use my iPhone.

http://www.quickoffice.com/mobilefiles/

Edited by hill60606

ok so after calling 3 they don't have the phone available, but they do have the plan. so did you buy the phone on your own and then just get connected with three? if so where did you buy it. i freaking want this phone man!!!

I seems HTC Touch HD city succumbed to a number of natural disasters, nuclear blasts, riots, fires and UFO attacks.

Mayor Winmo did not do a very good job, I don't think he made it out of his mansion alive.

Enough of the Simcity, now I think I'll CREATE an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of my scores, I'll EDIT it to add more later.

It's a bit tiresome to boot up my PC, I know, I'll use my iPhone.

http://www.quickoffice.com/mobilefiles/

Lol, edits only Office 2003. No 2007 support. No OneNote. Whatever man, congratulations on being right up with the documents of 2004. Good effort. Also:

"At times, this viewer can crash or not respond when viewing large or complex documents."

From here: http://www.quickoffice.com/mobilefiles/faqs/#s3_q1

Wow, amazing, so glad I can open that school assignment I did in year 10...

So yeah, awesome. Plus you can hardly point to larger sales figures as indication of what is the better device. I'll bet Toyota sells more Corollas than Ferrari sells, well, anything, but you still know what is the better car. Premium is a niche, that you clearly wich you were a part of. Not to be elitist, but you own a mass marketed consumer device aimed at people that are all but technically illiterate. That's why it's easy to use, because ease-of-use is a "lowest common denominator" marketing strategy. Plus, TouchFlo 3D rocks my world anyway.

And again, I can go buy a $300 iPod Touch that does the same things, with the same apps, and the same EVERYTHING because iPhone = iPod Touch + cell radios. And you pay through your nose for the privilege of phone calls.

And I'll go play Civ 4 on my WinMo 6.1...

Civilisation "Apple Nirvana" is populated by people that are disconnected from reality, they aren't even aware of the other civilisations on the continent. Silly zealots, look up!

LOL

I love that iPhone owners feel so threatened by what is clearly a superior device. Every single one that has seen the HD in the flesh (so to speak) goes "Um, yeah, well can it play music?" "Duh, yeah." "Oh, and Google Maps?" "Uh, tomtom wins." "..." "Oh yeah, and REMOTE DESKTOP RAWR." I must have had that conversation about a million times.

Oh and expandable memory (I share the 8GB MicroSD via an SD adapter with my digicam now, the HD is great for quick photo viewing -- can your iPhone do that?), and proper GPS via a real GPS company's own software, and the funky animated weather tab, and REMOTE DESKTOP (that is the coolest thing ever), and that there are a billionty (a technical term) apps out there, one just has to find them. No App Store, but then that isn't an iPhone exclusive, its for the iPod Touch as well, which brings me to my next point...

Yours is an iPod + phone, mine is a computer + Phone + GPS navigator. PC (as a device, not as a platform) functionality and utility > iPod x10. So yeah, love my Touch HD.

For the record I bought the phone in person from the owner of this online store:

www.syjtech.com.au

Nice guy, patient type.

Enjoy.

Edited by Apocrypha

I was wandering around various retailers in the days leading up to Christmas, testing out the 20 or 30 docking stations for iPhones they each had on display.

Everything from $30 Logitec systems up to $600 Bose systems, anyway I was surprised by the number of people who stopped and asked "Is that your phone?", you see it wasn't so much the volume I was testing out but the QUALITY of the sound, which seems to be the reason for the stunned reactions.

Audio Laboratory tests bear this out as can be seen in the following figures:-

Test	Frequency response	Noise level	Dynamic range	THD	IMD + Noise	Stereo crosstalk
Apple iPhone 3G	+0.52, -1.05	-89.9	90.1	0.0033	0.016	-93.1
HTC Touch HD	+0.20, -2.29	-86.7	89.2	0.024	0.253	-86.1

A fuller explanation of what these numbers mean can be found here.

Source:-

http://www.gsmarena.com/latest_features-review-171p2.php

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_i8510_inno...eview-302p4.php

Of course these differences are due to the Audio processors used, similar to sound cards in PC's, no amount of software tweaking or equalizing can make up for this.

The subtle nuances that these hardware based differences make to the listening experience would probably be lost on someone who no doubt believes that a 16bit (65k) colour (/shudder) display is adequate, nay even preferable to a 24bit (16 million) colour display for a visually aesthetic experience.

In the real world (i.e. my workplace) thousands of PC's are using a mixture of Office 2003 and XP on WinXP and Win2k machines, when some of the management upgraded to 2007, there were real issues with incompatible file formats being emailed out, this was only resolved by getting the execs to use the more widely used older versions while steps were taken to relax the company firewall so that Microsoft compatibility updates could be rolled out.

I think you'll find that the Quickoffice Developers went with the MOST compatible format, rather than the latest one.

Edited by hill60606

http://www.htc.com/www/product/max4g/overview.html

Interesting... i wonder if this will be released with Android?

It'd come in handy if you were with Yota in Russia, the network it is being made for.

funny because there was a story about their new moscow network on the russian news yesterday on sbs and they kept showing off that phone.

they said they didn't normally use 3g (i think it was that) because, the military used those frequencies.

Edited by Thrillhou

Lol, from Russia with Love plz? Icanhaz4gkthxbai

And again hill60606, iPhone = iPod + cell radios. Not that exciting.

For the record, how many colours can you differentiate with your own eyes? Mathematically calculated theoretical maximums are meaningless. Your human eye can detect, AT BEST, 1 million colours, and that is only in no-light situations with very large displays that exhibit infinitesimally fine gradients. So no, your 16 million colours are not worth a great deal.

And again, audio playback is in a similar category. Your own perception of sound is limited by your age, training, background noise etc. etc. And let's not overlook the fact that the vast majority of iPhone users play mp3 files for their music where the admittedly (albeit machine measured) slightly better playback capability of the iPod/iPhone is totally wasted in light of the far-from-perfect playback from mp3 files. Also, that's because there are not a whole helluva lot of options for music file formats. You should also factor in the quality of connectors, speakers and/or headphones into that as well.

Oh, and the Touch HD has a bigger screen. Every (functional) human eye can detect that. Bigger, and more impressive, especially in the flesh.

And today is a happy day! I (finally) got 3 to activate the data on my phone, and now I have some fast, smexy 3.5G HSDPA data. Fast, ooh. Not Next G fast, but fast. Weather updates, A-GPS, mobile web, and connection sharing with my laptop (on it right now). Try that with your iPhone.

What plan is your iPhone on? From which provider?