sharapova1234

new CPU

i'm preparing to buy these features:

Intel Core 2 Extreme Qx 9650

DDR3- 2000Mhz

SLI ultra 790i

watercooling

actually is for gaming console...

please give suggestion of building the perfect Gaming Desktop...

thx

1. see the report button click it and it will bring up the report to mod window, now report this thread as being in the wrong section and have it moved to building and troubleshooting (lol sorry but had to say it :P)

2. welcome to the forums

3. only get a Qx if you are running a phase change or LN2 as they are not really worth the premium

4. why ddr3? ddr2 is still great price/performance

5. the 790i is a really really problem prone chipset which i would avoid (one user had about 30pages of a thread devoted to this)

we also need more details to make suggestions on parts such as

-budget

-method of purchase

-are you running a 2560x1600 screen or just standard like 1680x1050 one

well sharapova since you took the time to PM about your build me ill take the time to give my suggestions :)

First of all if you don't have a setup that has a really nice screen and sound system i would suggest putting some money aside for these such as

-benq g2400w 24inch lcd (good fast response time for gaming)

-logitech z5500 speakers

this will make your gaming experience that much more imersive

as for the system itself i would (given i had money lol) buy the following assuming i was on around a $2500-3000 budget looking at the parts you suggested

following from http://www.umart.com.au

-intel q9400 (oc this chip to around 3.2ghz 24/7)

-gigabyte p45 ds3p mobo

-crucial ballistix tracers 4gb memory

-corsair hx620 psu

-antec p182 case (could go coolermaster rc690 if you wanted to save $100)

-western digital 640gb hdd (fastest 7200rpm drive)

-powercolor HD4870x2

-pioneer dvr-216bk dvdrw drive

-windows vista home premium 64bit (minus $147 if you have an OS you can reuse)

total for that is $2658

I would also buy some aftermarket cooling for the cpu from pc case gear such as

-noctua u12p hsf

-arctic silver 5 thermal paste and any other tid bits you might need such as some extra fans for the case

as for the system itself i would (given i had money lol) buy the following assuming i was on around a $2500-3000 budget looking at the parts you suggested

-gigabyte p45 ds3p mobo

-corsair hx620 psu

-powercolor HD4870x2

total for that is $2658

-noctua u12p hsf

-arctic silver 5 thermal paste and any other tid bits you might need such as some extra fans for the case

well actually the Seagate Barrcuda 7200.11 500GB is just a touch faster... but the WD has more space... just for your knowledge.

with a $3000 I would love to do a list... which store is closer/ or more preferable? Because if you live near MSY that'd be handy.

well actually the Seagate Barrcuda 7200.11 500GB is just a touch faster... but the WD has more space... just for your knowledge.

with a $3000 I would love to do a list... which store is closer/ or more preferable? Because if you live near MSY that'd be handy.

O rly? this was the only review i found (in a few minutes of looking) that compared both and it looks like the caviar SE16 640gb performs consistently better in most tests than the barracuda 7200.11

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14380/3

O rly? this was the only review i found (in a few minutes of looking) that compared both and it looks like the caviar SE16 640gb performs consistently better in most tests than the barracuda 7200.11

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14380/3

Yeah, well it didn't say what model... what if it was the 250GB with 8mb cache

Anyway, Seagate's 640GB's are out now, so we will have to wait and see what they do.

Okay here comes my list.

From Megaware:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 - $420

HSF: Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme - $65

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 - $259

RAM: 2x Kingston KHX6400D2K2/4G HYPERX 800MHz - $218

Graphics Card: Sapphire HD4870 X2 - $658.00

HDD: 2x Seagate 500GB 'ST3500320AS' SATA II $178

ODD: Pioneer dvr-216bk - $40

PSU: Zalman ZM750-HP Power Supply - $201

Case: Antec P182 - $206

Montior: LG W2252TQ-PF 22" Wide Screen - $265

Speakers: Logitech Z4 - $106

Operating System: Vista Home Premium, SP1, 64-bit, OEM - $147

Accessories: Artic Silver 5 - $19

*: Cable Ties 200mm (Bag of 100 Pieces) - $12

*: ATX Power Supply Extension Cable 24 Pin 25cm - $17

*: May need to soucre somewhere for an ATX 4 pin CPU power extender... but if you want awesome cable routing. Get one.

All Up: $2811 without shipping.

To shave more money, get the Q9400.

rofl at could have been anyone, you know it was the 640gb one that was at the top in most tests :P (sits back in waiting chair for what seagate has to offer)

well the psu i recommended can reach behind the back of the p182 o.O

rofl at could have been anyone, you know it was the 640gb one that was at the top in most tests :P (sits back in waiting chair for what seagate has to offer)

Yes but the 500GB 7200.11 is now the second fastest of that line. They have a 640GB version now.

And the PSU you recommended would soon be stressing itself, and running hot and loud due to the fact an overclocked system with a 4870x2 draws excessive amounts of power... 450W+ So it would be using about 60 - 70% of operating range to feed that thing, and it would in turn not last as long... you should have suggested the 750TX :)

Yes but the 500GB 7200.11 is now the second fastest of that line. They have a 640GB version now.

And the PSU you recommended would soon be stressing itself, and running hot and loud due to the fact an overclocked system with a 4870x2 draws excessive amounts of power... 450W+ So it would be using about 60 - 70% of operating range to feed that thing, and it would in turn not last as long... you should have suggested the 750TX :)

even at 80% loading that psu is still very efficient

http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/hx620w_efficiency.jpg

when compared to its peak efficiency the difference is like 1% which is not enough to throw up a fuss about.

I know the zalman one you recommended is good but its $200 and the hx620 can be found for $130ish so i know what one i would get.

even at 80% loading that psu is still very efficient

http://www.corsair.com/_images/charts/hx620w_efficiency.jpg

when compared to its peak efficiency the difference is like 1% which is not enough to throw up a fuss about.

I know the zalman one you recommended is good but its $200 and the hx620 can be found for $130ish so i know what one i would get.

Im talking about sustainability not efficiency.

How long do you think that thing will hold out @ 80% use.... it will be louder, produce more heat, and in less time then the Zalman.... give up on life.

And perhaps even... instabilities and blue screening, probably not though because its a corsair... but still.

those are problems that would occur with inferior quality power supplies, just for reference i have run the following off my hx520 which is only rated for 480w max on the 12rail

-q6700 3.8ghz 1.52v

-4 120mm fans

-HD4870 overclocked (790/1100)

-HD4850 overclocked (700/1170)

-dvdrw drive

-2 hdd's

-2 sticks of ram

and whatever else was running off it at the time (usb crap)

all of which would be easily 430w draw while i was running 3dmark06 and i did not hear the fan spinning up due to excess heat being generated nor did i see any signs of instability due to overdrawing, remember these power supplies use industrial grade components something i have not seen zalman feature on their psu's, so i am sure 600w on the 12v rails will not struggle with that system.

sorry i know this is childish but i feel the need to argue the point lol

Remember these power supplies use industrial grade components something i have not seen zalman feature on their psu's, so i am sure 600w on the 12v rails will not struggle with that system.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=592&a...xpert&pid=5

Funny, Zalman chose Seasonic to make their 750W PSU... hmmm, who I believe Corsair also choose to manufacture theirs. :P

Anyway, what Im talking about, is keeping the PSU happy, running at 40 - 60% of it's operating range... for long span, cool operation, and peace of mind.

Im just saying that the 620w of the Corsair may be stressing 60 - 80%

I've noticed a fondness for arctic silver thermal compound.

Does this *really* give you anything all that notable over most thermal goops?

The noctua NH-U12P comes with a quite decent thermal compound already, so the artic silver would have to do some pretty magical things to make it worth buying to use in place of the stuff you're already given.

Also, if my understanding is correct, the TRUE is just a heatsink and you've got to buy a fan to mount on it, which I didn't see in your build, SceptorCore. This is another plus for the Noctua NH-U12P, as it comes with an excellent fan already, too.

Remember these power supplies use industrial grade components something i have not seen zalman feature on their psu's, so i am sure 600w on the 12v rails will not struggle with that system.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=592&a...xpert&pid=5

Funny, Zalman chose Seasonic to make their 750W PSU... hmmm, who I believe Corsair also choose to manufacture theirs. :P

Anyway, what Im talking about, is keeping the PSU happy, running at 40 - 60% of it's operating range... for long span, cool operation, and peace of mind.

Im just saying that the 620w of the Corsair may be stressing 60 - 80%

well then if they chose seasonic then yea by all means to the OP if you want to buy one go for it

/world has been turned upside with the thought of zalman making something good

/runs

I've noticed a fondness for arctic silver thermal compound.

Does this *really* give you anything all that notable over most thermal goops?

The noctua NH-U12P comes with a quite decent thermal compound already, so the artic silver would have to do some pretty magical things to make it worth buying to use in place of the stuff you're already given.

Also, if my understanding is correct, the TRUE is just a heatsink and you've got to buy a fan to mount on it, which I didn't see in your build, SceptorCore. This is another plus for the Noctua NH-U12P, as it comes with an excellent fan already, too.

Yeah... I wanted to source it all from Megaware... So scrap the Thermalright, scrap the thermal compound, and get a Noctua NH-U12P from PC Case Gear

Alrighty, that's settled.

well then if they chose seasonic then yea by all means to the OP if you want to buy one go for it

/world has been turned upside with the thought of zalman making something good

/runs

You keep running bitch! :P

-gigabyte p45 ds3p mobo

-corsair hx620 psu

-powercolor HD4870x2

total for that is $2658

-noctua u12p hsf

that list is kind of expensive for the parts (go to the computer markets) and it doesn't include water cooling. good water cooling costs like $400 BUT me and one of my friends ar working on a project to turn 2 ( icluding our spare) small (for a car) radiators into water cooling (and yes we have to use a really strong pump and reservoir) we've tested the water flow in both rads and they work without leaks. AND they pump water (although quite slow) with a 300L/Hr pump.