Master_Scythe

Generic UPS

So, MSY have some fantastic value UPS's

and their worker who i konw quite well told me they sell about 5 a week, and they never come back, eg. no faults yet.

they're Ritmo 1000VA's, and yes, Ritmo is a generic brand rebadging hongkong stuff.

My question is: are generic UPS much like generic PSUs?

eg. its rated for 1000VA, but it'd probably only handle 600VA or so, and other than that its fine?

there is also a 650VA one for like $70 which is more likey what id buy, multiple of them!

see I dont want featres, i just want a battery on my equipment so when the power goes out, which is common, it doesnt turn off.

Advice?

and their worker who i konw quite well told me they sell about 5 a week, and they never come back, eg. no faults yet.

they're Ritmo 1000VA's, and yes, Ritmo is a generic brand rebadging hongkong stuff.

eg. its rated for 1000VA, but it'd probably only handle 600VA or so, and other than that its fine?

there is also a 650VA one for like $70 which is more likey what id buy, multiple of them!

see I dont want featres, i just want a battery on my equipment so when the power goes out, which is common, it doesnt turn off.

Advice?

i bought a APC unit, for the relative cost of the server it was cheap :P

My dad had a generic one, dunno what brand. Worked well when it did but a year down the track the battery was dead.

Ritmo pci ide controller cards suck anus so im not sure if the trend continues

My only concern with a cheap UPS would be the quality of the inverter, and of the power provided while running on battery. I think it was you that made a thread on square- versus sine-wave inverters? Same deal with UPSes.

Yeah i would have made a thread on that ages ago.

however after looking around, EVERY SINGLE INVERTER thats below a grand uses square waves, even big brands, so thats no longer a worry.

Besides, on the PC at least, its inverted AGAIN from 240 to 12v, so its not like any 'bad power' is really reaching the PC itself. just the PSU

id more see it not as a "ah this thing is slower or more gutless than the good one, ill go and buy a good one" thing but more of a *KABANG* "ah fuck its a cheap piece of shit and it didnt save my pc after all" lol

APC ones have a warranty protecting the computer aswell afaik, i think it had some jibber jabber on the box about it when i got mine

I purchased a Ritmo UPS 1000 from MSY, has been good and is about 8 months old, was cheaper than repacking our old UPS, has been running our server at work the whole time, you can occasionally hear it kick in as well, we have it running through a Belkin surge box also just to be doubly safe.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong, and they also told me that have not had any come back as yet.

I purchased a Ritmo UPS 1000 from MSY, has been good and is about 8 months old, was cheaper than repacking our old UPS, has been running our server at work the whole time, you can occasionally hear it kick in as well, we have it running through a Belkin surge box also just to be doubly safe.

For the price I don't think you can go wrong, and they also told me that have not had any come back as yet.

does itcome with a attatched hardware warranty?

Well really cheap UPS's just pass the power straight through, maybe going through a surge protector on the way, so it's not surprising they don't fail since they, well, don't do anything unless there's a blackout or a massive power spike.

I've never seen any proper reviews of UPS's, cheap or otherwise. If someone knows where to find some I'd appreciate it. They should include dismantling the UPS's and identifying how the work, controlled and measured input AC and measured output AC to see if it cleans or regulates the power at all, testing of reaction times for the various emergency functions to kick it, and fault testing to try and slip different levels of draw and frequencies and voltages through to see if it triggers the over/under current/voltage/power protections.

Edited by tantryl

cleaning and regulating power i dont care about.

the PSU, which are always brand names for me, seem to have good enough capacitors to last even thoguht a 1 full second BLACKOUT and not lose the PC.

ALL i want is it to keep power when i have a full blackout. As such, the no name cheapos are sounding promising.

Advice?

MSY have a well earned reputation for selling bottom dollar junk.

"So your best friend style of person who just happens to work there says these power supplies are amazingly amazing - and SOOOOOOOO cheap too!!! - and they never have ANY faults"

Such a glowing testimonial.

RITMO products?

Ritmo Shitmo 1000VA UPS - the Kamikazi of UPS's

http://suker-punch.blogspot.com.au/2012/11...rbage-upss.html

Everything about their stuff is junk.

At best it's bad, at worst it will destroy your PC and burn your house down.

Their customer service is bullshit too.

Thanks for your opinion, but this thread is a massive bump from 4 years ago, and I'm not even sure if the OP is still around to read your response to him.

APC

I used to do a lot of business with Upsonic until I found out how long and horrible their RA process can be.

The current IT infrastructure I have inherited use heaps of cheap Belkin gear. It seems to work I suppose but I haven't seen one take a hit yet.

I have also used a few Eaton models - some of the cheaper ones which are probably the same quality as Belkin and some of their more expensive ones.

When asking about a good UPS, most decent brands offer different series which give you different levels of protection. Eaton and Upsonic's 2nd tier series seem ok although APC would be the brand I would go for if you are happy to spend a little extra.

I should state that I haven't used any of APC's entry level stuff but even those seem to have a solid reputation.

Edited by The Tick

APC is pretty good, I've used them personally, and sold them in the past, never really had any issues.

And can someone modify that guys post to say NSFW. I humored him, and it's nothing but swear words in big bold print, and a picture of a dude fingering a chick in the ass... I nearly got caught out D:.

Thanks for your opinion, but this thread is a massive bump from 4 years ago, and I'm not even sure if the OP is still around to read your response to him.

I am.

I never left.

I just went to PM mode only after some abuse.

I'm public again now :P

And yeah, bump ahoy!

On that note, I ended up buying 3 of them.

They all worked flawlessly.

I need a new one now. Most crucial is the one on the modem. Because laptops have batteries, so during a blackout i have the lappy and the wifi still on :P all night.

I ran: Wall > UPS > DSE Surge Board > Equipment

Those DSE boards? they're some of the highest rated AND tested, google is your friend they have ferrite chokes and EMI\RF filtering in them, everything.

Nothign went badly. They lasted a short time, say 2 years before the battery went to 0% and wouldnt even turn my equipment on anymore with power; but for the price I'm not complaining.

If that's the case then why the added surge protection on top? seems just a bit over kill to add another coil to the mix.

Nothign went badly. They lasted a short time, say 2 years before the battery went to 0% and wouldnt even turn my equipment on anymore with power; but for the price I'm not complaining.

I'm surprised you didn't jury-rig the UPS units with car batteries after the internal ones bit the dust.

Imagine the backup time you'd get with a few kilowatt-hours on tap.

I'm surprised i didnt too.... oh well.

If that's the case then why the added surge protection on top? seems just a bit over kill to add another coil to the mix.

Because i trusted them for their battery, not for their protection.

It also gave me a shield if the cheap UPS decided to send a surge itself.

Edited by Master_Scythe

You're right, can never be too careful. Especially with that sort of equipment. Good thinking, I would have thought it to be redundant, but then again, it is a generic brand, and who knows what plethora of problems could have occured