Athiril

Also choosing an LCD monitor

Looking for the best 'budget' monitor that can be calibrated correctly.

Do not want 6-bit LCD.

10-bit would be nice.

Also would like a panel thats the correct brightness and not overbright or too dark.

Want one to do video editing and photo editing on, so a monitor that can achieve perfect calibration (using a calibration tool etc) would be nice.

Playing games etc = distant second.

10-bit screen, well your choices are 8-bit s-pva or ips based lcd screen, or 12-bit professional crt your choice but they don't come in 10-bit. I'll take it that you'll be wanting the 8-bit in which case that leaves you with the s-pva or ips based screens. Generally these start at 24", lenovo and eizo have 22" models but i'd recommend going with a 24" due to there being more options for you to choose from:

-Samsung 244t + 245t

-Dell 2408

-Acer AL2416WD

-Eizo CE240W

-Benq fp241

-HP LP2465

-LG L245WP

-NEC LCD2470WNX + WVX

If you are after the best then i'd be going for either the hp,eizo or nec, these are excellent products that you will get the best calibration from as they are aimed at the creative professional but you do pay a premium for them. The best value option is going to be the dell, benq or samsung, the dell especially if you buy at the right time you should be able to get one at around $700. The acer and the lg are the only ones that i'm not particularly familiar with, but as for the rest these are all high quality displays that i'm sure you'll be happy with, it's really up to you whether you pay the premium for professional displays or decide on one of the cheaper but still very good products.

cheers

I got the 28" Viewsonic for $625.......I'm rapt

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/ (Monitor Panel Search Database)

Shows that the VX2835 is a 6bit TN Panel.

Your best option would be the Dell 24" 2408WFP which is a 8-bit S-PVA Panel at $799AUD. Which is very high quality for photo/video editing.

How about a 30 Bit LCD :D

I wonder if that could display a HDR image properly (if i had a graphics card that did 32 bits per channel/96 or 128 bits per pixel colour...)

Yeah the 30-bit hp would be nice, but it's $3500US, goodness knows what they want for it in aus. Then you've got to factor in the possible compatibility issues, graphics cards, os, other software, it's a head of it's time that's for sure. But thankfully someone's had the balls to do it, the quicker the rest of the industry catches up the better.

cheers