Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Oracle X

Killing Telstra Sales Rep - Is it a crime?

Killing clueless sales people.  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a crime?

• No, it's mercy killing.
    • No, I was provoked, it was self-defense.
    • Yes, murder would be overkill, castration would be enough

So here I was enjoying my Saturday night, when this Telstra sales rep come knocking asking me if I want to change my phone/net plan.

My first mistake was thinking "why not, my Optus plan is about to expire, so let's hear what he has to say." when what I should have done was roshambo him while I have him distracted, throw him off my property then call for a restraining order against all Telstra sales rep for the rest of my life.

But, alas, his pleasant manner and seemingly knowledgable sales pitch fooled me into lowering my guard.

So there he was, trying to get me to sign up on a special "Unlimited" package that would include a phone plan (unlimited phone local calls, no line rental fee, fairly cheap STD/mobile calls) and an "Unlimited" ADSL2 or cable plan.

Now at this point, my spider sense starts tingling. "Unlimited" ADSL2/cable plan? There's no such thing as "unlimited broadband" in Australia!

So I cut in quick to get him to clarify that there IS a cap, and it's 25gig, therefore it's NOT "unlimited". Here I stared him down while emphisizing on the word "NOT", trying to intimidate him into stop using the word "unlimited. Call me crazy but I hate it when people use bullshit words in order to try to mislead you into buying their product. But it seems that Telstra sales rep are made of sterner stuff, and he proceed to use the word "Unlimited" every time he described the plan.

Strike One.

He then goes on to tell me that the cable speed is 30Mbps and the ADSL2 speed is 20Mbps, therefore I should get cable. Yes, I said, but 30Mbps is the theoretical speed, not the actual speed unless there's nobody in the area that's sharing the cable., so I'm better off with ADSL2. "But ADSL speed depends on your proximity to the exchange, he quickly pointed out, hoping to score a point. Yeah, I told him, and that's only 1km away as the crow flies. This was news to him, I could see, and it dismays him that I know the area he's working better than he does. It would appear that I'm not your average clueless potential customer ripe to be fleeced.

Strike Two.

He then asked me what my current plan was, and I told him I'm on an Optus 12gig Peak 24gig Off Peak plan, and he instantly turned into smug mode. "Ah, see our 'Unlimited' plan is 25gig which is more than the Optus 12gig!"

"Riiiight," I said, "but I use up all my 36gig a months."

This apparently confusing to him as he can't imagine how someone is able to use quota during offpeak hours.

"Ah, but with your Optus plan, you can only download 12gig during your peak hours before you're capped, with our Unlimited Plan there is not Peak or Off Peak hours and you can download 25gig."

"Yes but I don't exceed my 12gig so I can always use my 24gig"

He thinks hard trying to understand the extraordinary concept.

"Look, trust me, I use ALL of my 36gig of monthly quota. I KNOW what I'm talking about." I was beginning to see he wasn't going to come around to admitting my plan is better than his.

"But we'll give you 25gig! With NO Off Peak time!" He gasps.

"That's my point!" And that's Strike Three.

I decided my urge to explain the concept of 12+24 > 25 in a drawing board and beat him to death with it was too strong. I may be willing to die for many things: peace on Earth, a night of debauchery with the Victoria's Secret Angels, a gaming PC that magically upgrades itself twice a year... but the pleasure of reducing the number of clueless Telstra sales rep on the planet by one is not one of them. But for a moment there, I dreamed as I kindly told him not to call me, I'll call him and firmly closed my door in his face.

telstra sales reps are almost never directly employed by the company, it's just some guy wanting commissions to justify a crappy door-to-door sales job.

Twats.

If they had any brains, they'd have some sort of a plan where you could download stuff unmetered that otherwise would appear on FoxTel.

They could increase their customer base and drastically reduce their network load. Profit.

HAHAHAHA

I had some issues with iinet lately, they charged me an odd amount for an invoice I had already paid.

I call them and tell them that apart from not needing to take it, they had no right to.

I was told they could put it against my next invoice, which I then replied with, Yea, you could, but it's my money and I need it.

They then told me they would give it back and it would take about 1 week.

This is 3 weeks ago.

Last week, I email them to ask what stage they are at with my refund, they respond with an email saying that they decided it would be best for me if they put it against my next invoice.

I promptly replied to let them know that I know what is best for me and my money, and that they would not have a customer for long if they kept dicking me around.

As of this date, they have not replied to my email, or returned my money.

I am calling the TIO tomorrow.

This is just getting stupid.

HAHAHAHA

I had some issues with iinet lately, they charged me an odd amount for an invoice I had already paid.

I call them and tell them that apart from not needing to take it, they had no right to.

I was told they could put it against my next invoice, which I then replied with, Yea, you could, but it's my money and I need it.

They then told me they would give it back and it would take about 1 week.

This is 3 weeks ago.

Last week, I email them to ask what stage they are at with my refund, they respond with an email saying that they decided it would be best for me if they put it against my next invoice.

I promptly replied to let them know that I know what is best for me and my money, and that they would not have a customer for long if they kept dicking me around.

As of this date, they have not replied to my email, or returned my money.

I am calling the TIO tomorrow.

This is just getting stupid.

Let us know how it goes in a new thread or something, I am interested in hearing this story unfold.

also, telstra's plans count uploads as well as downloads...

dont do it man, DONT DO IT!

OMG yes you're right!!

That motherfucker! I should have killed him!

I know! What the fuck is with that?

Greedy fucking bastards.

-X

First strike - not knowing the plan name.

It's called a Liberty plan. Not unlimited plan. He fails, yes you may stab him, BUT ONLY - in the foot or something not all grim-like.

I know! What the fuck is with that?

Greedy fucking bastards.

-X

In the days of old, requesting a webpage chewed much less data than receiving a webpage so they were able to write off the cost. Now with p2p being pretty fucking huge, uploading is comparable to downloading but data costs remain independent of direction so they 'needed' to recover the increasing cost of upload.

Realisticly, they make a business of fucking over average joe and decided to maintain their insane profits by charging people for upload costs that could have been absorbed by their bottom line.

I just upped my iinet plan to 40gb onpeak last night and as of this morning, the billing adjustment went through and I was uncapped for the remainder of the period.

It's called a Liberty plan. Not unlimited plan. He fails, yes you may stab him, BUT ONLY - in the foot or something not all grim-like.

oh I'm sure he knew, he just prefer to use the word "unlimited" so we'd think it is actually unlimited.

The only thing that would be better than that story would be to have the "incident" filmed for YouTube purposes and my own personal viewing pleasure. Not only would this be a PR disaster for Telstra but every time I'm in a shitty mood I could just play back the clip for my amusement knowing that STUPIDITY REIGNED SUPREME.

Thanks for the laughs.

:)

Ticklish decision for the ISPs just now, when to go totally uncapped - its been the case other places for quite a while.

Data movement is just so cheap - which is not good news for Telstra.

I tend to deal with the T$ guys by simply saying we are with Optus, we get 25 on 50 off and its eighty bucks if you can match that talk to me... *click* :)

Assholes.....

Cheers

Optarse have also joined the pay for upload party...

...they live by the rule of "If the number one can do it and get away with it then so shall they".

If only the majority of Australian consumers weren't so willing to be arseraped, then maybe things would change.

°Data usage will be counted in Megabytes (MB) and includes both uploads and downloads. If you exceed your monthly data allowance, access will be speed limited to 64 or 128kbps depending on your plan until the end of the billing month.

Source:-

http://personal.optus.com.au/web/ocaportal...p;site=personal

That little link at the bottom which says "View Terms and Conditions"

...they live by the rule of "If the number one can do it and get away with it then so shall they".

If only the majority of Australian consumers weren't so willing to be arseraped, then maybe things would change.

°Data usage will be counted in Megabytes (MB) and includes both uploads and downloads. If you exceed your monthly data allowance, access will be speed limited to 64 or 128kbps depending on your plan until the end of the billing month.

Hey Hill.

How's it hangin'?

Long time no talky!

oh I'm sure he knew, he just prefer to use the word "unlimited" so we'd think it is actually unlimited.

Actually a long time ago the 12gb plan was referred to as "unlimited", but due to the ACCC, they forced a change of wording to something that didn't exaggerate what the end user was getting. Having said that, too many Telstra reps _still_ refer to it as the "unlimited" plans - and thus, cause grief for the company overall.

Don't get me wrong, telstra is outrageously overpriced, but I am one of the few peeps in the world I feel that do appreciate "some" aspects of their services. (See, not all :))

Hey Hill.

How's it hangin'?

Long time no talky!

:)

Yes. I told them exactly where they could stick that, not acceptable, and being we have a muti-service account with them they went meek....

I still plan to move, just not sure where, contract is up this month.

Cheers

Actually a long time ago the 12gb plan was referred to as "unlimited", but due to the ACCC, they forced a change of wording to something that didn't exaggerate what the end user was getting. Having said that, too many Telstra reps _still_ refer to it as the "unlimited" plans - and thus, cause grief for the company overall.

Don't get me wrong, telstra is outrageously overpriced, but I am one of the few peeps in the world I feel that do appreciate "some" aspects of their services. (See, not all :))

Hey, I reckon Cable Extreme is great.

i'f i was in a cituation were i had to deal with these people, I'd have a contract of my own.

I'll sign your paper if you sign my contract stipulating that it is unlimited unconditionally and for every month the ISP breaks this you get a 100% discount on that months bill.

I'm curious, if you were to have signed up, only to then 'find out' that it's not unlimited, could you sue them?

One may presume that in the contract it would stipulate the cap, but surely you could go them for misinformation or something?

Wade