Sign in to follow this  
bu14-1

100Hz TVs

So, with 100Hz TVs, can you make them run at 60Hz instead?

I don't like the idea of running something that is meant to be 30 or 60 FPS on a display doing 100Hz.

From what I can gather you can turn it off on Samsungs, but I've not seen an option to turn it off on my Sony X series.

I honestly can't see the problem with it. I wear glasses and my wife and kid aren't exactly tech-expert videophiles (??) but we don't really get what the issue is with 100Hz and why people whinge about it.

We watch digital TV, DVDs (upscaled over PS3) and divX stuff (streamed through the PS3 or direct from the PC with the TV as a DVI>HDMI monitor) mostly.... I'm not sure where we would be noticing the 100Hz grief people talk about.

Are we blind or blissfully ignorant? I'm the first to admit I was sucked in by the split screen 60Hz/100Hz demo with moving text that the stores like Harveys do... but I paid <cost for the TV so i'm not too much the sucker.

From what I can gather you can turn it off on Samsungs, but I've not seen an option to turn it off on my Sony X series.

I honestly can't see the problem with it. I wear glasses and my wife and kid aren't exactly tech-expert videophiles (??) but we don't really get what the issue is with 100Hz and why people whinge about it.

We watch digital TV, DVDs (upscaled over PS3) and divX stuff (streamed through the PS3 or direct from the PC with the TV as a DVI>HDMI monitor) mostly.... I'm not sure where we would be noticing the 100Hz grief people talk about.

Are we blind or blissfully ignorant? I'm the first to admit I was sucked in by the split screen 60Hz/100Hz demo with moving text that the stores like Harveys do... but I paid <cost for the TV so i'm not too much the sucker.

I have an X series as well, you can turn it off.

Ashton Mills wrote a great article several months back regarding refresh rates. To put it simply, LCD suffers from stuttering (i gues you can call it that) when there are fast panning movements in the scene and what you get is a smearing effect (due to persistance of vision, more on that in the article). The 100Hz tech was designed to eliminate that sort of thing happening. I do not yet own an LCD TV and so I cant say whether it actually works or not but I am merely explaining why 100Hz tvs exist. In fact, in the past few months, theres been a couple of TVs released with 200Hz refresh rate.

Edited by strifus