Forum upgrade is live! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
QuadLex

I believe I want an Xbox-360 but am not convinced, advice

Before Giftnukkah I toyed with the idea of getting an Xbox 360 Elite for myself, as a gift. I didn't because I don't have spare monies. Now, thanks to a gift from Nan and a payment for some work from Dad, I have $200 and will soon be able to save the rest. So maybe I can afford a new shiny, after all.

Now the question arises: Is it worth it?

I have a Wii, and I have a Q6600 (4 Cores... Everything Quad is 1337) with 4gig of DDR2 (Everything) and an 8800GTS, which isn't too unreasonable a computrix. So I have a couple of gaming platforms. I like to play RPG/FPS blends (Fable), RPGs, quirky things like World of Goo and Da Blob, good platformers and some, very selected FPSs... Notably Sci-fi themed. Thinking about the games I know of on the three-siddy, they're not really exclusive to the platform. There's Dead Space... Wait, no. Fallo... What about Gears of W... Oh, I see. Certainly then, Viva Pin...DAMNIT!

I'm not a 360 Gamer, currently, so I don't try to keep up. What makes a 360 stand out as a gaming platform, valuable as well as a PC+Wii? No "Lul get a PS3" please, or flaming, I'd like a nice civil discussion... This isn't "I'm sexually defensive so lash out online"-tomic, after all.

Doesn't really sound like you want a 360. Sounds like you've got some money in your pocket and want something to spend it on. Honestly just get some games off steam, probably find that alot more satisfying for your tastes.

Modern consoles are great for playing casually online. If you don't have mates who own the console and the games you want to play, you probably don't need it.

What makes a 360 stand out as a gaming platform

The fact that it has the best range of games on any console so far this gen. Sell your Wii, once you get a 360 you won't be needing it.

Doesn't really sound like you want a 360. Sounds like you've got some money in your pocket and want something to spend it on. Honestly just get some games off steam, probably find that alot more satisfying for your tastes.

I'd thought about getting one for the last month, actually, but I'm not sure why. I saw some exclusives I liked (But then found out they weren't exclusives) and think Live Arcade sounds nifty. Media Centre sounds cool also, and I like the idea of a more powerful console then the Wii. But over the last month some of those reasons have evaporated. I'm sure there's other things worth buying the console for, however, which is why I want people's opinions.

What about Gears of W... Oh, I see. Certainly then, Viva Pin...DAMNIT!

Gears of War 2 = XBox 360 Exclusive (I dont' see any sign of the PC version)

Viva Piñata: Trouble in Paradise = Xbox 360 Exclusive (same deal as Gears of War 2)

Gears of War, Viva Piñata, Halo 1 and 2 and other all eventually made it to the PC, but only once they did well on the XBox 360.

Also, you know that a game will work on the XBox 360, you won't need to read the requirements list unlike the PC.

360s kick ass, and at the price they are at, at the moment, they're hard to go past.

also, iinet offer free xbox live time (not included towards your dl limit)

one word of warning, in my time ive seen and repaired a fair few 360s with the rrod (red ring of death), there are easy mods that can be done - aftermarket cooling, better heatsink, xclamp removal, 12v fan mod etc etc

consider once your 360 has past its warranty - could you repair it or would it just become another brick in the growing wall of dead xbox out there

apparently (although i still havent seen it for myself) the late gen 360s are still rroding and having all round GPU issues, i personally wouldnt buy one without being confident i could fix GPU issues that are so common with these consoles

360s kick ass, and at the price they are at, at the moment, they're hard to go past.

also, iinet offer free xbox live time (not included towards your dl limit)

one word of warning, in my time ive seen and repaired a fair few 360s with the rrod (red ring of death), there are easy mods that can be done - aftermarket cooling, better heatsink, xclamp removal, 12v fan mod etc etc

consider once your 360 has past its warranty - could you repair it or would it just become another brick in the growing wall of dead xbox out there

apparently (although i still havent seen it for myself) the late gen 360s are still rroding and having all round GPU issues, i personally wouldnt buy one without being confident i could fix GPU issues that are so common with these consoles

Just to add.

MS have a 3 year warranty for RROD errors

What makes a 360 stand out as a gaming platform

The fact that it has the best range of games on any console so far this gen. Sell your Wii, once you get a 360 you won't be needing it.

Ug Lee speaketh the truth.

Reasons to buy?

Just look at the awesome games!

Some of my personal favs so far that I have finished (or played to death) and are still in my collection are:

The Darkness

Condemned

Army Of Two

Battlefield: Bad Company

Mass Effect

Kameo

Blue Dragon

The Outfit

Overlord

Blacksite

Halo 3

Gears Of War

Kane & Lynch

Earth Defense Force 2017

Marvel: Ultimate Alliance

Burnout Paradise

And heaps more...

I barely even touch my computer since I bought my 360 about two years ago :P

Edited by Lord-Ezekiel

Just to add.

MS have a 3 year warranty for RROD errors

To clarify: The 3 years only applies to the 3 red ring error.

4 red rings is still only 1 year.

Most important of all:

Hi def gaming from the couch is fucking awesome.

He speaketh the truth.

Also, Street Fighter 2 HD Remix + Hori Arcade Stick + Xbox Live = Awesomeness on such a scale your head will explode taking out your testicles.

cloaked, add me to your XBL list. Let's play some SF2.

Ok but I suck arse at the moment, I was speculating about the Hori I only jsut ordered it :D

I love my xbox, I've gone off PC all together now. It's great being able to just buy a game, whack it in the console and relax on the couch playing glories hi-def games on a big screen LCD.

Xbox live arcade has some awesome games, Braid is a good example. There are still quite a few exclusives worth getting, GoW2 and Viva Pinata being some of them, they also work great as a media centre, you can watch DVDs, stream movies from your pc and if your pc has a TV tuner you can watch TV through it aswell.

Word of warning though, playing on anything other than an LCD TV or Monitor with decent speakers will put you off and is not worth it imo.

Buy it, but only if you find at least 1 or 2 games that you really want on it. It sounds like that money is burning a hole in your back pocket. You don't need to spend it right away!