Sign in to follow this  
Sparky

Hunting for a DVD burner

Pioneer DVR-A12XLB RETAIL 18X DVD RW

Pioneer DVR-216BK OEM

Which one is better, The oem drive is cheaper and its also 20x but which is better?

Or any others that you care to point me at.

I'll be walking into a MSY to pick one up on Wednesday.

Pioneer DVR-A12XLB RETAIL 18X DVD RW

Pioneer DVR-216BK OEM

Which one is better, The oem drive is cheaper and its also 20x but which is better?

Or any others that you care to point me at.

I'll be walking into a MSY to pick one up on Wednesday.

Nab yourself a DVR-216 fella.

z

Thanks guys will grab a 216, but I'm now slightly unsure of the MSY thing because I'd like to pick up Nero with it, and it doent look like they sell software..

Thanks guys will grab a 216, but I'm now slightly unsure of the MSY thing because I'd like to pick up Nero with it, and it doent look like they sell software..

From the MSY pricelist:

OEM Nero7 Nero 7 Essential Suite DVD Writer software $1

OEM Nero8 Nero 8 Essential Suite DVD Writer software $3

Hopefully that won't break the bank. :)

People here swear by ImgBurn, too. You might like to give it a try. It seems pretty good from the little I've played with it, and it produces excellent burns. I mention ImgBurn because it's free, btw.

From the MSY pricelist:

OEM Nero7 Nero 7 Essential Suite DVD Writer software $1

OEM Nero8 Nero 8 Essential Suite DVD Writer software $3

Hopefully that won't break the bank. :)

People here swear by ImgBurn, too. You might like to give it a try. It seems pretty good from the little I've played with it, and it produces excellent burns. I mention ImgBurn because it's free, btw.

Don't use Nero 8 it is a slow bloated piece of crap.

Nero 7 is acceptable if you disable Nero Scout and Nero home but I would avoid the essential Suite 1 it is very cut down.

For data and ISO burning use ImgBurn, for audio CDs use Burrrn for DVD movies try DVD maker, Ashampoo Burning Studio 8 or DeepDVD Movie.

I'm actually currently testing (bigtime) the 216... so expect a more indepth review of it fairly soonish(gimme a week or two..)

I'm actually currently testing (bigtime) the 216... so expect a more indepth review of it fairly soonish(gimme a week or two..)

Great news. I took a leap of faith and got one already as there wasn't really all that much information on them around at the time of purchase. Hopefully your review will vindicate my choice :)

What's the difference between the 215 and 216? Anything I should be pissed about not having?

Shamelessly stolen from Speedlabs:

* "Plus One" firmware provides enhanced overspeed writing support, as well as a "safe mode" that will select the optimal write speed for every media type for best burn quality.

* New chassis design, with very low acoustic levels – apparently significantly quieter than any other drive on the market.

* A new anti-dust design promotes better durability.

* 12X DVD+R DL and 12X DVD-R DL writing.

Newer chipset apparently as well.

The 216 sounds nice. I might have to retire one of my IDE burners (I'm thinking the 4x Pioneer 106D) and replace it.

Doubt I'll ever replace my lite-on burner, since it's region free and I'd rather not faff about with hacked firmwares.

Yeah I'm retiring my Sony (model number seriously escapes me) SCSI CD burner its 12x and has serverd me well hasnt missed a beat - ever.

I was having a look at nero 8 today on the site and found that it looked to be a massive piece of bloatware 188mb download - WTF!!

Completely different to Nero 5.5 that I've been using for all this time.

What's the difference between the 215 and 216? Anything I should be pissed about not having?

Shamelessly stolen from Speedlabs:

* "Plus One" firmware provides enhanced overspeed writing support, as well as a "safe mode" that will select the optimal write speed for every media type for best burn quality.

* New chassis design, with very low acoustic levels – apparently significantly quieter than any other drive on the market.

* A new anti-dust design promotes better durability.

* 12X DVD+R DL and 12X DVD-R DL writing.

Newer chipset apparently as well.

Oh yeah, not bad for four extra bucks. If I burnt a disk more than a few times a year, it might matter to me.

my pioneer drive is horrible with audio CDs (old 119 version.)

My mates Pioneer drive ( a 2** version, im not certain which) is totally fucked. shakes makes horrible sounds.

a local lan cafe's drives (all pioneer) shat themselves.

I used to be on the pioneer bandwagon, but since theyve all died, i dont trust em anymore. i went back to LG.