Sign in to follow this  
Ezuma

My computer won't play full-screen games...

Any time I go to play a full-screen game, my computer opens the window for about a second/half a second, then minimises the game. The game still runs, it just won't stay in the full screen. I never used to have this problem, I played Warhammer Online in full-screen, but now nothing will work. It started with KotOR, then it was NWN2, now it's every game. My mate suggested it might be drivers.

Anyone know what's going on?

It certainly seems like a driver problem. Did you update your graphics drivers recently? If you have, you might want to go back to the previous driver set. There is also another reason that I have seen that would explain this. I had a mate who liked playing WoW who one day set the resolution of the game graphics to higher what its set on the monitor. It did exactly what you described in your post. Let us know of anything you may have done on the computer prior to it going wonky. Awaiting your reply.

I've only just reformatted my computer, reinstalling Windows XP. I got sick of Vista, it sucked too much. I actually updated my drivers tonight, after this problem, to see if it would fix it. The game still minimized itself, I just kept clicking on it's "thing" on the taskbar until it worked. The game started playing full-screen, so I set it to run windowed, just in case the problem happened again. On Warhammer, I had the resolution at 1440x900 (the same as my desktop resolution), but I eventually started playing it windowed, going one resolution lower. I have no idea what's happened... Warhammer worked fine full-screen, then I installed NWN2 and it refused to play it; same with KotOR.

Sorry if that doesn't help much; I just have no idea.

Perhaps you accidentally removed/changed something in your Windows XP reformat. Also, it may be an issue with a background task interfering with full-screen applications. Have you installed any new applications which may be running in the background?

I ran into this problem a lot in Vista. Running classic theme instead of that flashy transparent window header fixed it for me. That and I'm on a laptop, so I have to emulate "command" based programs using DosBOX in order to view them full screen.

Perhaps that was a bit OT, but if others with your prob come here for help, maybe they're experiencing a prob I was having...

This problem is still around. I reformatted my computer from Vista and all of a sudden no games will play that require full-screen. I've even set the +window (or is it +windowed? I tried both) tag in "target" in properties, but it just wants to run the game full screen then minimise itself.

Here is a list of background tasks constantly running:

Last.fm scrobbler (doesn't do anything unless listening to music)

EA Download Manager (got it with Warhammer Online, so it hasn't affected that)

Logitech SetPoint

Folding@Home (maybe it's this?)

AVG Anti-Virus

NVIDIA settings

Winamp Agent

IDT Audio Settings (drivers)

PowerISO virtual drive (possibly?)

Any idea if it's any of these that might be causing the problem, because as I said, this wasn't a problem before and I haven't changed any settings in XP. Games just don't wanna work anymore.

Okay well I shut down the PowerISO virtual drive manager and the Folding@Home tasks and the game is now running fine, so possibly it was one of these two affecting it.

I'm leaning towards F@H because I've never had a problem with PowerISO before.

PowerISO Virtual Drive manager is imo the most powerful in Vista's software arsenal....but it uses a very annoying "Patin-Couffin" driver which does sometimes conflict with the other drivers. Probably what caused you problem out of the two suspects you listed...I recommend PowerISO to all my friends, but many of them complain that "my program" messed up their system. "My program" bit always cracks me up.

Have you been able to isolate the problem to one background program?

I had some strange things happen when i had folding on my machine (even though it really should affect anything unless its running, which it wasnt). Perhaps stick to daemon tools for your virtual drive needs?

I usually use Daemon Tools, I'm not sure why I have PowerISO... I do prefer DT. But I have narrowed the problem down to F@H. Is it normal for that to interfere with games, or is it just having a dummy-spit?