Sign in to follow this  
rem68

Windows fresh install - Help

I currently have windows installed on a 320GB HDD. Just brought a new 640GB HDD. I want to freshly install windows XP onto the 640GB however I dont want to lose all my info on the old drive. What is the best way to transfer the data?? I was thinking about doing a drive back up onto my external drive. Is that the best way to go??. Ideas please. TA

If you were me, I would just copy whatever data I wanted over to another source be that would be that. However, I do recall a migration tool mentioned somewhere that probably might do the same thing but I have never used it before. I dont know how much data you have on that drive or if its properly indexed. I have most of my data on a different drive altogether from my OS drive especially for this reason so I dont have to worry about moving data from one place to another before I resintall or something. Just decide what you want copied, and copy. If there is something more specific than that, please state it here.

I had herd that a lot of the data that you may want to transfer is situated in the "All Documents" / "Documents and settings" folder. I just dont want to go through the process of reinstalling stuff like saved games, Mozilla favorites, email favs etc or should I just bit the bullet and start from scratch.

Edited by rem68

The absolute easiest way would be to install Windows on the 640GB and just leave the 320GB in as a secondary drive. It will still have the Windows installation and all your data on it.

To make life easier remove any passwords on your user accounts before installing Windows on the new drive as well, otherwise you will have to take ownership later.

I would consider the "best way" to be to backup your data to the external drive, then when installing Windows format the 320GB and install to the 640GB. That way you won't have a dual-boot setup nor a whole bunch of crap on the 320GB drive.

Edited by confined

You could allways clone your current drive to the new one... Norton Ghost is the only one which comes to mind and it works a treat

You could allways clone your current drive to the new one... Norton Ghost is the only one which comes to mind and it works a treat

Acronis Trueimage is far better than Ghost,and there is also Paragon Drive Backup 9.0 Personal. For a free alternative there is Driveimage XML.

However if you want to do a fresh install you could use the inbuilt windows files and settings transfer wizard.

A fresh format shouldn't be such a huge bullet to bite. It's helpful for me to reformat every six months just to keep the bugs at bay. I personally would use the internal HDD for the Windows format and installed files, but keep all important data on the external. Should only need four or five folders to support all important back-up data in an orderly fashion. "Documents," "Downloads," "Media," & "ProgData" (saved games and stuff).

But keeping the external back-up source organized is the challenge. I personally never download files straight to the external, but to a temp directory on my HDD. Once I try the file out and verify that it's a good install program, then I must remember to move it to its new home on the external. Saved games and config files are most likely kept in a hidden directory heirarchy under a "progdata" folder. If the game or publisher doesn't show up under an immediate subdirectory, it's probably in the "windows" subfolder there.

if you are interested in a fresh install it would probably be easier to do the install on the 640, but leave the other unplugged. then once the install is completed, plug the other back in and ensure to boot off the 640. you will then have access to all the files on the 320.

Regards to save games/firefox, May be worth backing them up before you do the install. Firefox and similar programs can export your fav's to a separate file than can be imported in the fresh install. save games i think will be more finding where they are stored and move them across once your done.

Doing a fresh install will most likely be a painfull process if you wanna keep all your settings or a disk image as mentioned would get it all moved cleanly accross

if you are interested in a fresh install it would probably be easier to do the install on the 640, but leave the other unplugged. then once the install is completed, plug the other back in and ensure to boot off the 640. you will then have access to all the files on the 320.

Regards to save games/firefox, May be worth backing them up before you do the install. Firefox and similar programs can export your fav's to a separate file than can be imported in the fresh install. save games i think will be more finding where they are stored and move them across once your done.

Doing a fresh install will most likely be a painfull process if you wanna keep all your settings or a disk image as mentioned would get it all moved cleanly accross

For Firefox and Thunderbird I use backupfox

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Browser...BackupFox.shtml

Once the backups are done to another source just install FF and TB and your extensions/addons run them once to create the new profile folders then restore with backupfox. I have used this programme several times to migrate all my FF settings to a new install (including tab preferences etc) and to migrate all my email account settings, filters and the emails themselves.

Works quite well.