Tech-Kid

How to limit internet usage per day

Hey guys I need to place a cap on my internet for the amount I can use per day. I don't know how to though. I would like the cap to be set 200mb per day or so and if we reach 200mb the net disconnects or something like that.

Router: Netgear RP114

Need this cap in place so the net doesn't slow down.

Net limiter makes me pay. It's 28 days trial...

I can't find anything inside my router or inside my modem (Motorola SB5101) that will cap the net.

Any other suggestions?

Perhaps a better option is to set up a linux server and use a combination of squid and iptables.

If you head over to the linux and open source area, I'm sure you can get some advice there.

You can use any ancient PC as a server.

Warez is bad. More discussion on this and the thread will be locked. You are lucky it's not locked yet.

Don't.

It shows the net usage per month. I need it per day. Sorry about this :(

Ummm, keep a notepad file and minus the total from the new total? :P

I know I've used one that monitors daily usage. Give me some time and I should be able to find it.

I was on cable some years ago with a 300mB limit.

Usage stats were kinda crucial, so I looked into this. :P

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti...Controller.html - this one is shareware and only $15 so it's pretty damn cheap. It cuts off your net access after specified traffic according to the blurb.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Network...ge_Monitor.html - this one is freeware and displays time so it's probably not as useful, although you COULD make it work by working out your download by time amount and making sure you can't go over.

ie - if your speed is 1.5mB adsl, you are never going to get above say 20kb/s so you work out the max and make that your time limit. :)

Yeah I installed Net Limiter 1.3 as a trial but when the 192.168.0.0 thing comes up I don't know whether to choose local or internet, and the same for 5.0.0.0 or something like that. When I installed it, Mozilla Firefox also showed nothing. The net was there but the page was just white.

+1 netlimiter.

other option is to instal CLARKCONNECT in a gateway box.

sure its linux, but its point and click install, then its just web-config from your windows box to use it.

problem with a firefox limiter blackout is that it'll only monitor what you do in FF.

OPERA on the other hand, has your bittorrent built in, your POP3 mail, IRC, FTP (basic as it is), and godknow what else im not using.

So besides chat (and games?), which doesnt use enough data to monitor, you shouldnt need to leave OPERA much.

the irony? no ne seems to have developed a 'total data transmitted' widget for it. *continues the google*

+1 for linux/BSD box.

I'm going to beg to differ a little bit on the thoughts on Opera, though. Only a silly person would actually use that as their regular bittorrent client.

+1 for linux/BSD box.

I'm going to beg to differ a little bit on the thoughts on Opera, though. Only a silly person would actually use that as their regular bittorrent client.

Yeah, I never use the FTP, Chat or Mail either - I don't know why anyone would :/

http://www.dumeter.com/

$25

I've used this for many years. Was recently updated quite a bit since Vista to make it more compatible etc and they've added in a crazy amount of stats in there. Can break down your usage by the hour/day/week/month/year, give predictions on how much longer you have before you run out of bandwidth. Tell you how much daily usage you should use to make it last the month etc.

It won't cut your connection but good for monitoring where you're at.

Also +1 to the netusage item for Firefox, gives lots of info including how much you should use per day. That or get a download quota monitor program for windows. Most big ISPs usually have something like it. What ISP you with?

+1 for linux/BSD box.

Yeah, I never use the FTP, Chat or Mail either - I don't know why anyone would :/

I use the IRC alot! its just as fully featured as, say, chatzilla on firefox.

FTP is only good for dragging and dropping, or downloading form FTP links online, when you dont wanna open a 3rd party app.

and as for bittorrent, why not? Im yet to find out why. it uses the same ports as any of my other clients, yet its the only one to get what i consider 'full speed'.

Ive reached that point in my life where: as long as things do their job, convenience is the tool of choice.

and to not have to leave my browser. is bliss.

anywho, back on topic.

and as for bittorrent, why not? Im yet to find out why. it uses the same ports as any of my other clients, yet its the only one to get what i consider 'full speed'.

I wouldn't use it because it's not a dedicated client. Sure, it's got the basic functionailty there, but it's quickly surpassed by any dedicated client.

And I'm not the only one who thinks it isn't a "real" bittorrent client, which is why many trackers ban it.

And from a less technical perspective, having it in the web-browser makes it too accessible to retards, and I think it's important for people utilising bittorrent to understand the sharing philosophy, rather than the leech nature of HTTP and FTP, which is likely going to be the mindset of a Opera user downloading via bittorrent.