Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

An interesting thing

I recently put together a dedicated gamebox, with the specs in my sig, and yesterday struck something quite odd.

I installed Far Cry and Unreal Tournament and when I fired up FC it ran the intro fine, and menu/options OK, but the game presents itself as though not rendering correctly. The screen is a washy pale blue, and looking around I see items in the game, but almost floating in a ghostly haze.

UT is even stranger, with the game visual perfect though running exceedingly quickly, like a video on picture search.

After checking all game settings on both, and in the case of FC setting it to lowest quality there is no change. In UT I have wound the game speed down to 50%, as far as it will go, and made sure the 'Desired frame rate' is at the 28 fps default.

Area 51 flashes by the install in the blink of an eye, but doesn't actually install. All other games so far (Doom3, Supreme Commander,rFactor) run beautifully.

All I can think of is the 64bit environment is the cause with the problem games, and am considering going back to running the 32bit version, as I am only running 2GB RAM anyway. Any suggestions, or confirmations?

[Hmm, dunno about the rest, but id say that UT doesnt go nice cos its made for Glide. Maybe trace down a glide wrapper for that 1. :) oh, is your box overclocked? if so, id b a looking at that too...

I know with XP you can get older games to run in a simulated OS mode eg, 98, 95.

Can that be done under Vista, if so try that??

Fixed the UT problem, don't know why I didn't think of it before. I had forgotten to run the dual core fix since going from 32bit Vista to 64bit. I haven't reinstalled Far Cry yet, though it may well be a different issue, I'll let you all know how it goes.