smakme7757

Speedtest.net - How fast is your ISP?

I'm on a 1.5Mb/s ADSL connection (Bigpond) and I scored 1321Kb/s download and 216Kb/s upload.

Posted Image

On a ADSL2+ 24 mbps connection from TPG. I live in suburban Brisbane about 100m from the exchange as the crow flies. In practice however I've never gotten more than about 2 - 3 mbps on any single file download (whether a podcast, application or linux distro from any number of sites). I know that they say that speed may degrade with distance but this is ridiculous. Speeds aren't much of an improvement over my old 1.5mbps connection from (shudder) Telstrain most situations.

Posted Image

Damn Exetel thinking of changing back to Telstra

Meant to be 8Mbit

and WTF 450mil that is like to sydeny from lismore, nsw. what the hell is with that shouldn't it go to my local exchange

Edited by jamesski

Posted Image

From Cairns on a 1.5Mb plan. There's no reasonably priced ADSL2+ up here. :(

I can't believe that ping!

*Edit* And pwarren - I am now secretly plotting to steal your identity (assuming that comes with internet access)

Edited by discoInferno

I've got Naked Adsl2+ with iinet, the best i got was 13500 down/ 900 up, but i avg around 8000 down and 800 up

Posted Image

sorry Fuzz, that's me from home.

5k from the closest exchange, available options are ADSL2, more expensive ADSL1, or even more expensive still slower transact (VDSL over cat5 from their box on the street which has a fibre back to their NOC)

and, the ANU one I posted above would be even better if the test server had a gigabit link. We've got a 10Gig link from AARNET3 coming in to my building, which is where most of our traffic goes. Some serious networking hardware down in the machine room, a bit of which I don't quite follow.

Edited by pwarren

and, the ANU one I posted above would be even better if the test server had a gigabit link. We've got a 10Gig link from AARNET3 coming in to my building, which is where most of our traffic goes. Some serious networking hardware down in the machine room, a bit of which I don't quite follow.

Nice. Would love to see a *real* score from that machine.

Posted Image

My favourite bit is the sub 20ms pings to GameArena servers :)

Fuzz, I'm assuming you're on Bigpond Cable Extreme also?

Edited by Caffeine_Fiend

I just got a new connection installed today, when i get home ill run speed test and post the results.

The new plan is:

Download: 10 Megabit

Upload: 2 Mega bit

Download Limit: None

So im looking forward to this as my previous internet was only 5 megabit download and 1 mega bit upload! Hopefull i can crack 1 megabyte a second download speed :).

They are building fiber optic into our area soon and we recieved a pamphlet in the mail saying we could soon upgrade to a 40 Megabit connection with 5 megabit download. But the wife was sorely against the idea of such fast internet for a premium price lol. It was about 650 Norwegian kroner, which is roughly $144 AUD a month.

Pretty expensive.

Edited by smakme7757

Posted Image

with antennae up

Posted Image

with antennae down

That's some comparison. lol

;]

Edited by Milano