Sign in to follow this  
adam93

I think my harddrive is dead.

I've had a samsung 500g hdd now for about 8 months, and i think its on its way it. Within an hour it will reset (I can hear it start back up when the side is off the computer), and lock the computer up for a couple of seconds. I have taken all the info off it and taken it out of the computer. I am thinking of taking it to go get fixed, but the shop doesnt open back up (the owner is on holidays) until next monday. Is there anything i can do to confirm that its dead?, is there any tests to try?, or could it be my pc that was causing it to reset. I did try replacing the sata cable, and switching the sata power over but that was no luck.

WOuld it be worth putting it in another computer, format it and try that, or is it rooted?

Edited by adam93

umm... i would never think that the OS could do that???.

Its running vista home premium 32bit

Possible, but somewhat Unlikely if it's been running fine for 8 months, Boosta...

Yes, but theres no point writing it off now as we all know as little as anyone else, chances are he could have migrated from XP to vista recently or had to reinstall Vista, and as we all know, Vista uses power saving by default :)

ive had vista for the time that ive had the hdd, i reinstalled in about November... which would probably be around when it started i cant really remember. Where would i be looking in the power settings?

Mebbe it's just me bein' an idiot and pullin' the battery outta my laptop ... but Vista's power saver settings seem to have a mind of their own

... every couple of weeks or so they just decide to switch to default settings (one detail at a time?)

... I try to keep everything set on full power ... display brightness at 20% (my eyes adjust just fine to it) both on battery power and external power. Although those settings aren't exactly "orthodox" with powersaver, they show up as "recommended" once I switch to 'em.

...Thing is they just won't stay that way for too long on my system in Vista. That's perhaps what's happening to Adam93 ...

OT: I'm slowly switching from Vista to Fedora 10 (pretty satisfied so far), and I don't have any power saver problems there. It keeps my settings the way I like 'em...

I've had a samsung 500g hdd now for about 8 months, and i think its on its way it. Within an hour it will reset (I can hear it start back up when the side is off the computer), and lock the computer up for a couple of seconds.

Agree with the others it is most likely HDD spindown causing the pause. I have my none OS drives set to spin down when not in use and this is exactly what happens.

If you are still worried grab ES-Tool for Samsung

http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd...es/ES_Tool.html

make the boot floppy or cd and run a diagnostic on it.

ok, ive checked power settings, its set to high performance, and under the turn off hdd after... is set to never

ill try running the test and if all good ill reformat it and srart again from scratch

Let us know how the test comes out; in the meantime I guess it's safe to say the power saver settings aren't the cause. (btw is the drive is "idling" before this once-per-hour noise you're experiencing?) And it's also safe for you to try the HDD on other machines available. If reformatting isn't inconvenient for you then that's a "go" as well.

Let us know how the test comes out; in the meantime I guess it's safe to say the power saver settings aren't the cause. (btw is the drive is "idling" before this once-per-hour noise you're experiencing?) And it's also safe for you to try the HDD on other machines available. If reformatting isn't inconvenient for you then that's a "go" as well.