Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Master_Scythe

Hiring for looks, not books.

Stop being a hater.

I'm almost positive I got my current job because I'm really, really, ridiculously good looking.

Its because you're ugly isn't it? You just hate all us fantastic looking people.

'

It's much the same wherever you go in the retail sector, with some rare exceptions.

Jaycar seem to hire at least 2 people per store who have a clue.

I had a similar experience with the Vodaphone shopfront - they couldn't manage the most basic queries I had regarding their prepaid.

In the end, DSE had more of an idea, which was funny considering it's not exactly part of their core business.

Comes down to dollaros - anyone who's likely enough to be proficient technically to the point of being able to give advice on a diverse range of mobile phones or any technology for that matter is cutting their own throat and being a sad underachiever if they work in some shitty chain store on award wage.

I dont think I've experienced that, usually because I dont have many questions to ask either because

A) I've done all my research before hand.

or

B) Don't atualy have any idea about it and just seen something sparkly that caught my eye, then I'll proceed to go home and do my research.

I don't like making uninformed purchases, I usually regret them.

But I have been turned down by employers in favour of a less qualified, less skilled, firm butt, big breasted female, so I do sympathise with your anguish.

edit: I had good retail experiences in Sweden.

Sadly, retail theory comes in two levels, low and high. High is <b>Expensive</b>, and low can be cheap and effective. Low includes pretty register-biscuits.

Pretty Register-biscuits, thats a new one. i like it.

Bwahaha.. yeah seems to be a trend hiring the pretties to get people with lower self esteem to but products... The Telstra shop in Young employs a fair few... its not too bad though because the gruff "larger" guys who actually know what they're talking about are just hidden out the back :) and its different in a smaller country town because I actually know half of them from school and the like...

but yeah.. I would have reported her to the manager (if there was one) and said you just lost a phone buyer because of her rude manner...

OR...

You could have gotten your pimp hand out...

like harvey norman when i heard a salesman saying the 2.4ghz phone bas would be fine next to their wireless router, and if it wasnt, return it, and unfortunately they're out of options. When he was standing next to a 3ghz phone.... I went and corrected him. he was furious. I dont care. learn to do your job.

Just letting you know that alot of modern 2.4GHz Phones will work fine with wireless routers because of the spread spectrum and frequency hopping modulation they use. Not all, but in a way its fair enough he said that they could take it back if it didn't work. But i see your point that if there is a alternative close by, he should have recommended that one.

like the HN salesman who sold my parents a DVD burner/VCR combo and sent them home with the wrong rewritable DVDs... idiots.

I so don't care hey, because I don't believe for one second that certain people are in the job for their looks (unless that is their job). It's more to do with it being just another shitty retail position that attracts low skilled labour. And the argument falls over as I’ve had poor service (in phone shops too) from the most unattractive people I’ve had the misfortune of laying eyes on.

For me it’s just taking the edge off when there’s something to make my pants snake move. Even if just a little.

should've got her number :p

His girlfriend would kill him :p

I've had a few experiences with stupid sales reps. My favorite being when I blatantly told a NextByte employee to sell me on why I should pay the extra $500 or so to get a Macbook over a Windows Vista notebook, and his response was "Mac's are better". I asked him how are they better, and his response was "They're better value"... Ok... What makes them better value? "You get more bang for your buck"... Ok. That's it. You sir, have failed to convert me. Goodbye.

I find knowing what I want first before getting it the best way. And when I go to get it, I seek out the smartest sales person using my extremely good judge of character, and the first thing I say after they say "g'day mate you need some help?", "Yeah I was looking for such and such". If you do your research, then its just, going in and buying, instead of talking to mindless idiots who dont know what they are selling, and only know how to operate the register.

Also get to know your local shops, and who works there. So you can ask to speak with the person you want to instead of some nobody.

If you're just going to request a product and then buy a product, why do you concern yourself with the salesperson's character and intelligence?

Because sometimes I'd rather talk to a person about a product I'm looking at, rather than read reports online. And if that persons an idiot who doesn't know what they're selling, then that make's it very hard to gain anything from them. As for their character? I just don't enjoy doing business with people who treat me like dirt. Do you? If so, I'd be happy to sell you some stuff then come insult you while you try to pay for it.

i never, ever talk to the sales staff. ive got a brother who works extensively in sales with telstra, and has previously worked ins ales for a gas company and a computer store. the system works the same in all of them, and basically it adds up that you cant trust what they tell you.

i always to my research beforehand, then go to a store large enough to have an IT support guy who isnt being paid to sell stuff, then i ask him/her.

Yeah, I've noticed it.

Which store is it? I might go and annoy them later this week >:D

Its the 3 store thats built into the front corner of the myer center entrance.

next to that german icecream place.