Sign in to follow this  
TazFromOz

'Windows was unable to find a certificate to log you onto network X'

I live in a house with amazing internet. Only problem is it's hit and miss whether or not I'm able to log onto the Wireless Router or not. It's a Belkin 'N Wireless Router' and quite often when I log on I get the message above. This is regardless of whether I enter the correct or an incorrect passwork. It connects me to the wireless, but I have 'little or no connectivity' and am unable to log into the internet, etc.

I hope that's enough information. If not please ask and I'll try and get more. Help a newb out pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease =).

EDIT: May have something to do with the firewalls.

New tablet hasn't hooked up ever =(

Edited by TazFromOz

What encryption type are you choosing on your PC?

Windows XP SP1/2/3?

Make sure encryption on your PC is set to exactly what is set on the Belkin. The error message sounds like you have have selected WPA-RADIUS or something.

However the fact it's intermittent (assuming you're not changing the wireless security settings) makes me think that may not be it. Try disabling any software firewalls. Can you find out what firmware revision the Belkin is running? And what's the model number of the Belkin?

Hope I haven't missed anything glaringly obvious... it's kinda late.

EDIT:

Regarding the Tablet, it may be the encryption is set to WPA2 or similar which is not supported by the Tablet. You may have to drop it down to a method of encryption the Tablet supports (hopefully WPA is supported, otherwise WEP :<).

It just seems like a weird error for you to be getting considering it does work sometimes, but not others. Googling on the net suggests date/time conflicts between the router and host can cause this error, but I'm not convinced.

Edited by lew~

Does this happen all the time on the PC in question or just sometimes?

Sounds like the connection may be (possibly incorrectly) configured to use certificate-based authentication rather than whatever the access point needs (probably passphrase-based).

It could also be because it's a Belkin device.

What OS are you running on your PC?

How is the wireless portion of the Belkin device configured? You'll need to log into it and note the settings (wireless encryption type, authentication methods etc.) or get someone else to do this for you.

edit: blergh. somewhat beaten by lew. I really must stop opening 50 tabs at once and replying to threads 40 minutes later.

Edited by segger

I'll get the info for ya when the flatty's finished with the comp that's connected to the router. Not sure how to get into it from here.

It's not the method of logging in because the laptop (I'm using right now) and the tablet are set up exactly the same) - Network Authentication is WPA-PSK and Date Encryption is TKIP if that's at all helpful =).

Hi, dont know about the belkin, but had it connected with no worries to 2 diff airport apple routers and also with no dramas to the crappy wireless thing weve got from virgin. That said though, i was only using wep security, and generally do disable the firewall, as i have hardware firewall.

any luck yet Taz?

Hi, dont know about the belkin, but had it connected with no worries to 2 diff airport apple routers and also with no dramas to the crappy wireless thing weve got from virgin. That said though, i was only using wep security, and generally do disable the firewall, as i have hardware firewall.

any luck yet Taz?

Nah - I've just been messing around with the thing for the last few hours. I know enough to have fucked it up so that none of the wireless devices can join =/

That's what happened when I tried to use WEP. So I have since switched back to WPA as stated above. Some more info for the helpful ones =):

Language

Current Language English

Available Languages

Version Info

LAN Settings

Firmware Version 3.01.17 (Nov 29 2007 17:48:13) LAN/WLAN MAC 00:1C:DF:AB:BD:25

Boot Version V0.13 IP Address 192.168.2.1

Hardware F5D8233-4v3(01) Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Serial No. 12820823316053 DHCP Server Enabled (1 LAN, 2 WLAN Clients)

Internet Settings Features

WAN MAC Address 00:1C:DF:AB:BD:26 NAT Enabled

Connection Type Dynamic Firewall Settings Enabled

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0 SSID mdurovka

WAN IP 192.168.1.3 Security WPA-Personal ( PSK )

Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 UPnP Enabled

DNS Address 192.168.1.1 Remote Management Disabled

WPS Disabled

IP Address is default (192.168.2.1)

I can enter this address into a browser on the tablet and see (but not alter) the main page, so that's all good. I'm pretty sure it's just security that's stopping my tablet getting on.

=(

Next round...

What OS is running on the Tablet PC and what IP address is it receiving?

If it can get to the router's admin page then it sounds like the wireless component is working fine.

Next round...

What OS is running on the Tablet PC and what IP address is it receiving?

If it can get to the router's admin page then it sounds like the wireless component is working fine.

the OS is WinxP 2005 tablet edition, any luck so far ta2?

Oh yeah, it was connection fine. Just didn't have access to anything (hence why I believe it was a security issue). I tried (briefly) removing all security and connecting - no problem.

What I've done instead is to do allows for the MAC addresses I want able to use the network, and disallowed everything else. Still secure, but I can now surf the web from this little beauty.

Cheers - though it still bugs me why I couldn't connect. I was entering the password correctly, setting were correct, etc =(.

Clients are both XP - computer that's plugged in is Vista, but it's not on most of the time.

The MAC address change - was that on the router/AP? Are you now running an unencrypted, unauthenticated wireless setup?

You're not running any firewall or anti-virus software on the tablet which might be screwing with things? Have you disabled windows firewall?

At the end of the day it could just be a stupid router.