Smokie

[Worklog] Building Aluminium Case From Scratch

Thanks for all the positive feedback!

MedicineBaby Posted Today, 10:01 AM

Hey Smokie, where did you get your Aluminium sheets from? Because I have an old MSI case missing side panels, and would like to try and do a case to it.

I got is from metals R us in toowoomba. They only sell it per square meter so if there is excess they charge you for that as well. Fotunatley for me it worked out well that i only had a little bit left over at the end. Google 'metal suppliers' with the australian search on (if you live in oz) and have a look at the ones in your area. As you wont need much i would suggest going there and ask if you could grab a bit of scrap as they are bound to have some the right size for you.

-Smokie

Dude, thats briliant! Looks wicked aswell. Bit of sprey and she will be apples!

EDIT: didnt see that picture, Satin black. Nice. Everything is better in black!

PS: what kind of paint did you use? not the shade I mean was it sprey? or you paint it? or did you whip out the compresser?

Edited by Avliden

Avliden Posted Today, 04:43 PM

Dude, thats briliant! Looks wicked aswell. Bit of sprey and she will be apples!

EDIT: didnt see that picture, Satin black. Nice. Everything is better in black!

PS: what kind of paint did you use? not the shade I mean was it sprey? or you paint it? or did you whip out the compresser?

All the paints i have used are white knight and was applied via a spray can, no compressor ; )

-Smokie

I havnt been feeling like sanding so i have set to work on a couple of other things. My parts came so i set off modding my Graphics card.

My new parts:

Posted Image

Unfortunatley they sent me the wrong handles so they will be getting exchanged.

First off, pull the GPU appart.

Posted Image

Now to add the fan addapters.

Posted Image

Here are a few shots of it all put together.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have also painted AL onto the side of the case as it is the chemical symbol for aluminium.

Stencil.

Posted Image

Finished product.

Posted Image

I couldnt wait to see the temps on my modded cooling so i set it all up.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cant get better ventalation than that i recon. My temps at idle use to be 55 to 60 degrees now idle is 40 to 45 degrees. I am very impressed with the outcome here.

I have also painted the PCI slot covers and drilled holes as well to provide more ventalation (can never have enough).

Primed.

http://i43.tinypic.com/73hr8i.jpg

Painted.

http://i44.tinypic.com/2ebeqmt.jpg

Enjoy!

-Smokie

Wishin' I had a pic of an Army Arctic Heater unit. You keep on puttin' holes in that thing and it's going to wind up lookin' just like one... :-P

I have no idea what and Army Arctic Heater unit is but i am assuming it gets shot up fairly well lol.

-Smokie

I have no idea what and Army Arctic Heater unit is but i am assuming it gets shot up fairly well lol.

-Smokie

Good one! I could prolly empty a mag into it and not hit it one time ... supers wouldn't be impressed tho...

Placed an order today. Paying for it tomorrow that it takes about 5-7 weekdays for it to get here. The right case handles will be getting posted with it as well.

Posted Image

I think the Hyper 212 was the best valued HS at only $46. Opinions?

-Smokie

The CPU cooler i wanted was not in stock afterall so i had to change my order. For a little more at $55 i got the Thermalright HR-01 Plus. Unfortunatley it does not come with a fan. I am not planning on attaching one. I think my case will have enough ventalation and air flow to keep ot cool enough without the need of a fan on it.

Posted Image

-Smokie

The last thing i should be doing is considering my next build let alone moddle in in CAD. O what the heck! Here are some rough pics. I have plenty more in mind to do to this moddle before it is good enough to consider building.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is a bit confusing, i think i have it over cluttered and need to cut back and make it more simplistic while still keeping its looks. Anyway what do you all think?

-Smokie

Tiny little update... Been sanding but no one really wants to see heaps of pics of that lol. Went to the local computer shop for a chat and walked out with 5 free thumb screws :D saved myself about a $1 there!!! These will be used of the swinging side pannel instead of the standard screws i am currently using.

Posted Image

-Smokie

Got back to the old sanding and pollishing this arvie. Got some shot of the results for you.

Sanded:

Posted Image

Pollished:

Posted Image

Reflection:

Posted Image

Alot more to do yet though.

-Smokie

Edited by Smokie

shame you put so much weight on the drill, and nothing to support the panel, when you were drilling the fan-screw holes - try a lump of wood underneath, and let the drill do all the work.........make sure the drill bits are nice and sharp too.

;)

shame you put so much weight on the drill, and nothing to support the panel, when you were drilling the fan-screw holes - try a lump of wood underneath, and let the drill do all the work.........make sure the drill bits are nice and sharp too.

;)

what he ^ said, I always use a block of wood when drilling to stop things like that happening although the case still looks pretty good.

Yeah it does annoy me a bit. I never thought of using a block of wood. I will hopefully do a better job with the two 120mm holes. Once the fan grill goes on over the top the indents shouldnt be seen as easy. Well i hope so anyway. I was thinking of painting the OEM fan gills that are going on. Should i leave them silver or paint them the midnight blue or the satin black? I am leaning towards painting them satin black. What are your thoughts?

Yeah i am leaing towards satin black as well. It will be a while until my order comes though. A few mates wanted to get some stuff so i had to make another payment yeasterday and that will clear tomorrow morning than give them a day or two to process it; i wouldnt expect it out here until late next week. My original order was $108 now it s $450 lol. O well. Im making a bit of money out of it.

-Smokie

Chrome is the slilver right...? So that paint does not flake you apply a Self Etching Primer and than the colour. I tested it on a 80mm grill and the paint set very firm. It would be super sweet if i could get sponsored for this build. You see a heap of others get sponsors by big companys like OCZ, Coolmaster, AC Ryan and you just drool over the stuff they get. But i can keep dreaming.

-Smokie

Edited by Smokie

I'm not sure why you have intake fans on the top.... Hot air rises, remember.

Other than that, this is sure forming up to be a tough rugged case if nothing else. :P

SquallStrife Posted Today, 12:42 PM

I'm not sure why you have intake fans on the top.... Hot air rises, remember.

Other than that, this is sure forming up to be a tough rugged case if nothing else. :P

Thanks. I have been thinkig about that i was wondering if having them as an exhaust would be benifical... Would in interfeir much with the incoming air form the front 3 120mm fans?

-Smokie