Smokie

[Worklog] Building Aluminium Case From Scratch

nesquick Posted Today, 06:04 PM

generally you want the front to draw in cool air and the hot air to be exhausted out the back of the case.

But the distance between my first intake fan and exhaust fan is only 50mm of so. Wont that fan just be exhausing cool air? Maybe i should have the closest one to the front pushing cool air in and the second from the front as an exhaust... Or will this cause too much turbulance and would be inefficient?

-Smokie

Not sure what SquallStrife was hitting on with the warm air rising bit ... common sense aside, most build's blow down and aft regardless of warm air tending to rise naturally ... also confounded by your 50mm from intake to exhast comment...don't circulate the air straight in and back out. If needs be you can set the thang up to blow upwards and aft ... don't think it'll matter much just as long as the air current is shooting straight through the case and not in circles; and so long as the amount of intake matches the amount of exhaust to even out the pressure inside the case.

I guess once i get it all together i will just fiddle with the fan configuration and monitor my temps to see what gives me the best resulults. I also ordered 1m of U channel molding to go around the fans on top from GAMMODS. I was very happy when i was posted in an envolope and only cost $3.80 instead of the usual $15. That should be here tuesday and the rest thursday - friday next week.

-Smokie

tehoriginal Posted Yesterday, 03:36 PM

nice job mate, keep it up ay.

Thanks mate!

I have eddited the first post to show my current progress for convienience.

-Smokie

Unfortunatley my main order wont be here until thursday now but i did get the U channel moulding.

Posted Image

I was very impressed with the difference it made. I looks much neater and profesional i think.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Smokie

Got the front pannel all sanded and pollished now. Still got the painted side pannle to go yet... BUT! i will have the rest of my parts here this afternoon so cant wait!

Before:

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

-Smokie

Got my parts today! YAY! First things first, need to paint the fan grills (pics of that later). I love my new CPU cooler. Its so light but extreamly sturdy due to the bent aluminium punch-out down the centre. Im not sure if i should lap it or not. What do you think?

My new parts.

Posted Image

I also got some switches. Left them in a mate car and only got them back today.

Posted Image

Does anyone know which one to connect the fan to? I have three here or doesnt it matter?

Posted Image

Here is the Heatsink, HR-01 Plus!

Posted Image

I was wondering if it is worth lapping it. What do you think?

Posted Image

-Smokie

Not sure what SquallStrife was hitting on with the warm air rising bit ... common sense aside, most build's blow down and aft regardless of warm air tending to rise naturally ...

No... they don't.

Intake is at the front (in through the HDDs), and through the side panel (over the video card), and exhausted out the back (so hot air won't stagnate around the CPU) and top.

That's why the Antec 900 and all its derivatives have the massive exhaust fan in the top.

"Common sense aside" is a rather daft thing to say.

As i said i will have to work out the best configuration by testing it. I have started sanding the side pannel and have reallised i have got myself into alot of shit. It is going to be impossible to sand between the design so i am going to have to get some paint stipper and remove the design, sand it all than paint the design back over. It is goint to set me back a day or two but i think it is going to be the only way...

-Smokie

With the fan placement have you thought about having them set up in a way so that you have maybe 1 exhaust one above motherboard backplate and the rest blowing inwards to a. create positive air pressure and force all the hot airout any available spaces at the back and this will (in theory) act as a clean room environment preventing dust build up even though you don't have fan filters. check out the silverstone Ft-01 case for more info on what I am talking about and benchmarks show a significant difference in this kind of setup.

Intake is at the front (in through the HDDs), and through the side panel (over the video card), and exhausted out the back (so hot air won't stagnate around the CPU) and top.

That's why the Antec 900 and all its derivatives have the massive exhaust fan in the top.

Thnx Squallstrife. I'm still used to the desktop setups on the side with a monitor on top. Don't even that configure would run at all with the setups of today. So at least we agree that keeping air flowing through the case is a simple and effective overall goal when it comes to ventilation.

With the fan placement have you thought about having them set up in a way so that you have maybe 1 exhaust one above motherboard backplate and the rest blowing inwards to a. create positive air pressure and force all the hot airout any available spaces at the back and this will (in theory) act as a clean room environment preventing dust build up even though you don't have fan filters. check out the silverstone Ft-01 case for more info on what I am talking about and benchmarks show a significant difference in this kind of setup.

Yeah i have seen the video clip. Its impressive!

I am one fan short becuase the CPU didnt come with one. My mate works at the local computer shop and grabbed this PSU that was getting thrown out with a 120mm fan on it! I pulled the fan out and it is a Yate Loon SM or whatever it is (medium speed). Except i found out why the PSU was no longer working, the fan was seased and the PSU had overheated.... I took it anyway and got the DW40 or CRC whichever one you are farmiliar with and sprayed heaps of that in the fan the got the air compressor with the high pressure attachment an blew it onto the fan so it would spin. Did this for 10 minutes and it works fine! Fan problem all solve!

-Smokie

I worked out which terminals to connect it up to using a simple circuit!

Posted Image

Posted Image

First thing to do with my new parts is to paint the fan grills. Also had to paint another shield the the LED case feet connect to.

Posted Image

After:

Posted Image

Next thing to do was mark out where the hole had to be drilled for the fans.

Posted Image

Holes drilled:

Posted Image

And finally screw it all together.

Posted Image

Here is a close up of the result.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The paint stuck on very well with the primer and no flaking occured which is good.

-Smokie

Edited by Smokie

Got a tiny bit more progress to report on. Marked out and drilled the holes for the case feet and attached them. I wasnt sure how stong they are with the adhesive but with the double sided tape and the hole to support they are reasonably sturdy. Havnt got the lights connected yet but i gave them a go just hooking them up to the PSU and there are 6 flash modes with one constantly on and then of course off as well.

Holes dirlled. These were 5/16 snug.

Posted Image

And here are the feet attached. They look bland at the moment but one the LED's get going it loogs super sweet!

Posted Image

-Smokie

Edit: The fan has 3 wires.

Black = ground

Red = ?

Yellow = ?

Which colour is the 5V and 12V?

Edited by Smokie

Thanks SquallStrife! It was a bot confusing because on my PSU the yellow cable is the 12V and red is 5V. Now i better get cracking on the souldering!

-Smokie

Got them all finished now. Took me 3 1/2 hours to finish plus the time it took to do the two last night.

This is my mighty work bench.

Posted Image

Here is the one of the switches with the fan wires soldered onto it.

Posted Image

And finally all 6 fans soldered. Im glad that is over!

Posted Image

Next job on the list is to mark and drill the holes for the fans.

Back with more pics of that later... Hopefully...

-Smokie

I have just finished prepping my case to spray on the crystal clear acrilic and it started spitting rain so i will have to put that off to a bit later now until it fines up. I have done a tiny bit more though. Dilled the holes for the switches to go into. Drill bit used was a 13/64.

Posted Image

-Smokie

I have just finished prepping my case to spray on the crystal clear acrilic and it started spitting rain so i will have to put that off to a bit later now until it fines up. I have done a tiny bit more though. Dilled the holes for the switches to go into. Drill bit used was a 13/64.

Don't know what "spitting rain" means there...(aerosol?) shaking the can and spraying onto a "practice surface" before applying should square that prob away right fast.

And an SAE-sized drill bit eh? Didn't know they were used anywhere but here in the states. Interesting. (13/64" should amount to 'bout 5mm?)

Most drill bit i have worked with have been imperial. However when you buy a socket set you usually get both metric and imperial. 'Spitting' rain is light rain... conditions were to humid to sray paint in, nothing to do with the spray at all. We got over and inch or 33mls of rain so i will have to hold off for a day or two now until i can do some more.

-Smokie

Its been a while. But i have some progress to report! Today i did some sanding and got the final side done. Havt got pics of that yet but will have them tommorrow when the pannel is all done. Today my correct handles finally came in aswell as the vinyl film. The handles are just so good. I cant get over how sexy they look!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is the vinyl film. I ordered twice as much as i needed. I didnt think i would have been able to fit it all onto the one sheet.

Posted Image

First step was to trace out the original design.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Next step was to transfer the design onto the vinyl film.

Posted Image

One down, 15 to go.

Posted Image

Finally all 16 are cut out.

Posted Image

Tomorrow the vinyl will be going over the old design. Also i will have the pics up of the pannel all finished. I will also get the handles attached and hopefully get the cleare acrylic coat in as well. After that all that is left is to put my old parts back in there.

-Smokie