Smokie

[Worklog] Building Aluminium Case From Scratch

Here is the one of the switches with the fan wires soldered onto it.

Posted Image

If its only one fan per switch, you only need to break one wire (Meaning, saves you half the soldering)

Just a time saving tip mebe - Sorta hard to tell what your up to with the switch

Khirareq Posted Today, 07:15 AM

QUOTE (Smokie @ Feb 13 2009, 12:11 PM)

Reduced: 41% of original size [ 614 x 517 ] - Click to view full image

If its only one fan per switch, you only need to break one wire (Meaning, saves you half the soldering)

Just a time saving tip mebe - Sorta hard to tell what your up to with the switch

So i could have only broken the 12v instead of the ground as well. How stupid of my! I think i would have been best if you kept that comment to yourself because now i am very annoyed with myself :p I will keep that in mind next time. Thanks Khirareq.

Can't wait to see it with these latest mods attached to tha case!

I got up extra early this morning, 8:00 am woot! So i will have some good progress to report of by the end of the day.

-Smokie

Nah man - Sorry I didnt say something sooner :P Been watching this thread as it grows, and nearly said something the other day when you first showed them, I just forgot to post explaining which posts on the switch to use sorry >.<

Nah man - Sorry I didnt say something sooner :P Been watching this thread as it grows, and nearly said something the other day when you first showed them, I just forgot to post explaining which posts on the switch to use sorry >.<

Whats done is done. I will definetly remember that one for next time.

Well i have got a bit of work done before lunch. I drilled the holes for the handles and they are all fine. Thani gave it all a clear coat of acrylic to protect the aluminium. This is the stuff i used:

Posted Image

After letting that dry for 2 hours i strated putting the vinyl down. I have a few gripes about it... Where the pop-rivets are in the side you can see the buldge. It seems to be more obvious in the photos unfortunatley. Secondly it is a pain in the ass to put on :p. Apart from this it all seems to look well.

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Smokie

After letting that dry for 2 hours i strated putting the vinyl down. I have a few gripes about it... Where the pop-rivets are in the side you can see the buldge. It seems to be more obvious in the photos unfortunatley.

you could try pricking the bubble with a pin of some sort then working the excess air out of it.

I have done that with a couple of small ones. The large ones are actually the pop rivits.

-Smokie

Posted Image

we used to have a word for describing your soldering - cockie-shit

;P

more is NOT better

where do you live?

Posted Image

we used to have a word for describing your soldering - cockie-shit

;P

more is NOT better

where do you live?

I live 2 1/2 west of Toowoomab in Queensland. Why do you ask?

I have a little more porgress to report back to you all.

I have got all the switches installed :D

Posted Image

Here is a close up of two of them...

Posted Image

Its a bit messy i know but it is hidden by the side pannel and it isnt restricting air flow. I will probably just put a couple of zip ties around it at the end...

Posted Image

With the slit wire loom that i bought a while back I encased the fluresent orange cable sleeving.

Posted Image

It much easier to look out now.

Posted Image

Not much to go now. I hope i will have it done by the end of tonight otherwise there wont be much to go in the morning.

-Smokie

The instructions werent all that good and this is the first time i put on an aftermarket cooler on so it was all a bit tricky. Here are the pics of it.

Posted Image

Due to the design of yate loon fans i couldnt use the provided bracket to mount it so i hade to resort to the old fassion zip ties.

Posted Image

I have hit a bit of a problem. With the new HS the exhaust fan on top conflicts with it. Now i will have to remove this :argh:

-Smokie

if you lived near me (sydney) I was going to offer to do the soldering for you, or at least give you a few lessons - tell me, do you use flux?

can you turn that HS&F around 45deg?

Edited by osama_bin_athlon

Your switches just need some sexy, sleek lil' tin labels like the ones on helicopters. "APU Heat/Start" & "Prime Boost #1" or somethin' like that. :-P

Thanks for the offer osama_bin_athlon : )

...Yeah the switches arnt that sexy but they are low profile, neat and blend in with the rest of the case so they arnt to bad. They only cost 65c each compared to the $6.50 you pay for the other switches.

-Smokie

!!!!I have finally finished!!!!

...Unfortunatley the internet is capped so pics will be comming in dribs and drabs.

Here are a couple of internal shots of the wireing.

The good:

Posted Image

The bad:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Fortunatley you cant see the bad as it is hidden by the side panel.

More to come in probably an hour lol.

-Smokie

These are the final pics i have at the moment. I will take some night shots later tonight.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I give it the thumbs up :D

Posted Image

-Smokie

thanks to jdee71 i have got watercooling!

Here is what i'v got:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Marked and drilled the holes to mount the res.

Posted Image

Drilled the holes for the Pump bracket

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bolt heads on the outside of the case

Posted Image

Inside

Posted Image

-Smokie

Added the two blue LED fans to the top as they are only 40 CFM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Bought 3 1/2 meters of 1/2" tubing along with 20 clamps and a box of zip ties.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now im just waiting for the coolant to come in the mail and i will have it all up and running.... That is if everythinh goes smoothly. The cooland should be here no later than wednesday.

-Smokie

"The coolant should be in no later than Wednesday" .... "the coolant" ... you mean the "water?" ... I thought you said it was a "water-cooling unit" ... :-P

It's real good to see you back here Smokie ... I was wondering about what happened with your build ... a week ago. This is the first I've heard of a liquid cooler going into that awesome case you made .... sweet.

Coolant as in what i add to the water ;)

Got a bit more progress to report. yay!

I completed a 2 hour leak test and everything seems to be in check. I have started assembling everything into the case.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

-Smokie

Well my coolant came super quick! It got here today.

My back is in absolute pain but it is all worth it. So here it is....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Now all that is left is some serious overclocking :)

-Smokie

So it's actually totally done?! Bitchen. That is an excellent first build ... can't wait for the sequel! :-p