Sign in to follow this  
Builty

100 Mbit router and gigabit

I'm running a Belkin wireless router with 4 port 100 Mpbs switch, running 4 PCs and a D-link NAS. The D-link and some of the PCs support gigabit ethernet, and I'd like to take advantage of the gigabit between NAS and a wired PC, but prefer not to have to update the router.

Is it possible to simply connect a gigabit switch behind the router, and run the PC and NAS off that switch?

Thanks.

Got a switch, connected behind router, and got lovely speed increase between PC and NAS. However, wirelessly connected PCs can no longer see the NAS.

Switch user manual shows that routers should be connected behind the switch, would that help? Would also then bypass the routers firewall :(

A switch is a layer 2 device, it won't be stopping you from reaching the NAS as it just passes data packets between ports.

So putting the router 'behind' the switch shouldn't make an iota of difference.

D-Link and Belkin are usually made of fail so try rebooting both the router and the NAS box. It might be a MAC address learning issue since the NAS box has moved.

edit: Hang on; the switch and anything else other than your cable/ADSL modem (if present) connected to the router is connected to the /LAN/ ports and not the Internet/WAN port, right?

Edited by segger

In my haste I had connected the WAN port to the switch, but even after rewiring to get the ADSL modem onto the WAN port and the switch off a LAN port, and rebooting everything, I still have the same problem, wireless clients can't see any of the machines on the switch. Trying to browse network neighbourhood waits for about 30 seconds and then shows nothing, Windows shows error message about no permissions to access resource.

Try ping first, at least then it will show you if you can reach the other machines on a lower level.

Ping works fine.

Figured it out, Zone Alarm firewall had the IP address of the NAS in it as a single IP, but that had moved with the shuffling around. Added an IP range and now its all good, thanks for the help.

Ping works fine.

Figured it out, Zone Alarm firewall had the IP address of the NAS in it as a single IP, but that had moved with the shuffling around. Added an IP range and now its all good, thanks for the help.

You could set a static assignment for the NAS' MAC address to prevent this from occurring in the future. :) Edited by lew~