i-Styler

Where to get HDD repaired?

Hi guys,

Recently, one of my Seagate HDD (500GB SATA) failed on me. Basically, upon powering it up, the drive will start to spin for about 40 seconds and then it will stop spinning, and will remain like that. During the spin-up process, I can actually hear a "clicking" sound before the drive comes to a complete stop. I've only had this HDD for no more than 4 months.

This is my backup hdd, and I have important files I need to read from it.

My question is, does anyone know where I can get my HDD repaired?

I don't need them to recover the files for me, I just need to get the drive operational (spinning/reading) again.

I'm aware this isn't going to be cheap, but I don't have any other options, as I really need to access the files on the drive.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

Shawn

What you've described IS data recovery.

the CLICK you describe is the read head slapping the platter and damaging\erasing things further.

your only options is looking up a data recovery centre and letting them do all the work, the 'click of death' as its called can not be 'repaired'.

Data recovery, then grab that receipt and warranty that drive.

Also, consider Samsung in the future, i used to use seagate and WD, but now ive used samsung in every customers syetm and all of mine, none of them have failed, all the other brands have. (not to mention its well known samsung run cooler :D )

Good luck.

I have read that there can be various reasons for the "clicking" sound to occur in a drive.

But you kinda scared me by saying "read head slapping the platter and damaging\erasing things further.", which I hope isn't the case here.

Well, I know that data recovery is very expensive, therefore, I was hoping that if I can exclude the actual data recovery process, that it might make it more affordable. Do you think this is possible?

P.S. So I should send the receipt together for the warranty of the drive?

take the reciept back to where you bought it and they SHOULD replace it or send it away for you.

Besides the drive working correctly, but being stuck in a 'read loop' (reading the same place over and over again) which can only becaused by software telling it to, i'd like to know what other LIKELY causes the Click of Death could be.

The ONLY 2 things it would LIKELY be, is the read hit hitting the platter, or something in the power system cutting out and powering up, which can also cause the read head to touch the platter.

all in all, i'd put money on every time that drive clicks, its being further damaged.

and no, you cant REPAIR the drive. what part of that was i not clear on? Its a full data recovery or none in this case.

Why did you have a 'backup drive' without having an original? this is a good lesson to PROPERLY back up your data.

Id love to be 'nice' about this, but really, its a damn hard truth, carp load of money, or data loss. im confident these are your only optoins.

HDD's aren't repaired because its ineconomical to work on them when brand newies are so cheap.

It's extremely unlikely that the heads have touched the platter. HDDs are designed to automatically and passively return the heads to the landing zone well before the RPM reaches a level where the air cushion wouldn't stay in effect. The clunking/tapping sound is the voice coil hitting the extremities of the assembly and otherwise acting weird, but as long as the disk is spun up, there's little to no possibility of a head crash.

So, as long as you don't open the drive up yourself, the platters are most likely intact.

Edited by SquallStrife

difference of oppinions i guess,

I open up drives when they fail, and the last clicking drive had visible 'rub' marks at the read head, as have several.

the click for me has ALWAYS been heads. Unlucky eh

difference of oppinions i guess,

I open up drives when they fail, and the last clicking drive had visible 'rub' marks at the read head, as have several.

the click for me has ALWAYS been heads. Unlucky eh

Rub marks in the landing zone (normally the innermost track) are normal, because it takes a second or two for the air cushion to develop, so the head rubs along the platter in that spot at each startup and shutdown.

If they're present at other spots on the platter, the clicking is probably the head encountering these patches, seeking to 0, trying to re-seek, rinse and repeat. Actual head crashes are more of a scrapy sound. Head ticking/clicking/etc is a symptom, not a cause. A symptom of most forms of physical HDD damage, but a symptom no less.

Causes of damage to platters are normally from the HDD being bumped while running, and failing spindle motors.

Edit: On the bright side, OP, data can be recovered from HDDs with that have been in fires and suffered severe warping, so be confident you CAN get most if ont all of your data back.

Edited by SquallStrife

It's extremely unlikely that the heads have touched the platter. HDDs are designed to automatically and passively return the heads to the landing zone well before the RPM reaches a level where the air cushion wouldn't stay in effect. The clunking/tapping sound is the voice coil hitting the extremities of the assembly and otherwise acting weird, but as long as the disk is spun up, there's little to no possibility of a head crash.

Thanks for the added info SquallStrife. Do you have any suggestions on what I can try? Or is data recovery service my only option?

So, as long as you don't open the drive up yourself, the platters are most likely intact.

I know that most if not all references on the topic of HDD failure advises against openening up the cover of the HDD yourself, as the tiniest speck of dust can scratch the platter surface, but I've read posts from people who has opened up their HDD and managed to get it going on. I'm really tempted to try it myself and hopefully have all the luck on my side.

Hey Master_Scythe, when you opened up the drives, what precautions did you take? Did you do it in a "clean" room/box?

if you are thinking of servicing the drive yourself dude, you cant. The platters dont do anything but spin and the read/write heads are controlled by an onboard controller which is usually on the PCB below the HDD itself. Unless you know the inner workings of a HDD your going to get nowhere pretty fast. I know its not going to help now but I wouldve put that important information that you had on the drive in the first place on a CD or DVD to back up what you had on the HDD.

So there is really no option for you apart from what MS laid out for you, both of them expensive. As for your question on what MS did when he opened the drives, short answer is he didnt take any because the drives had failed. So dont open them up thinking you can do something by opening it up. I know your thinking that now. hehe. If the data is that important to you, cost should be of no consequence and you shouldve made multiple backups of your data in the first place.