Sign in to follow this  
Josho

360 and USB drives

Hi All,

I've got a couple of USB hard drives formatted in Fat32 so the 360 can read them.

But now some media that i have is larger than 4gb So cant put them on the USB drives which is annoying :/

I could format the disks with HFS+ to get around that. read here:

http://www.360-hq.com/article-2121-thread-1-0.html

but would rather have them native to windows so I can still use them at work / where ever.

So I was wondering if MS was going to add support for their usual file system NTFS.

I havent been able to find a upcoming update log for the 360 to see if this was being added.

anyone know if they are going to? or are not?

cheers

Josho

I had similar concerns with the PS3. External storage needs to be formatted in FAT32, at least when it comes to backing up your data, which kinda sucks considering you can potentially have 50GB+ worth of stuff, even before you swap out the HDD.

I wonder if perhaps someone at Sony didn't think something all the way through...

Confined and I were talking about it, and we figured Microsoft would charge a licensing fee to implement NTFS. That's fine, no sense jacking up the price. But what the hell's wrong with EXT3 or something? Especially considering the PS3 is Linux friendly, and was one point going to ship with a Linux install on the HDD. (Sony later cancelled this plan.)

This is the really stupid thing about the 360's they don't support ntfs don't support wav and don't support mpg which really annoyed me with my external drive full of these things.

As far as i know, they aren't going to change this any time soon.

Its pretty stupid that they don't support their own format (ntfs) yet they support that of the competition