Sign in to follow this  
Director

Wireless modem locks up PC

hmmm.

OK I've had this ongoing problem with someone's PC for a few weeks now, it keeps locking up and the only way to unlock it is a hard reboot. I brought the thing home, no probs, hooked it up to the wireless here, still no probs. Took it back, goes for a minute or 2 then locks up.

So if we shut the wireless connection down it then works without locking up.

Running xp sp2, dont know the model/brand of modem but can find out (It's a Netcomm mb5+4W). Their other PC works wirelessly through the modem no probs. (I think, though it might be hardwired too? In which case could it be a wireless security issue?)

Any suggestions appreciated.

In my experience, a lockup, or hang, usually suggests a software problem of some sort. Its kinda hard to figure out what it is based on your post but Id have a gander at your event viewer to see if there is anything there that might reveal any clues. The only other thing I can suggest is that one, or some, of the networking services has been corrupted. Otherwise, I cant think of anything that might fit your situation.

Yeah I checked the event viewer last time I had it in, nothing there that made any sense. And as I said, it works fine here with my wireless modem/ router so I suspecting some kind of incompatibility between their wireless card and their wireless modem?

IP and/or MAC Address conflict on the site, perhaps? (athough the Event Veiwer shold have muttered something, perhaps...). And don't forget to have a serious sniff at the data connecting cabling as well.

Have a good gander at the power on the site as well - are you using the same power source for the modem?

I'm also pondering RF smog at this particular site, but I'll be buggered if I can justify exactly why... it should have zero impact on the PC itself unless the modem is having serious WiFi connection issues due to bad RF interfence, etc and screwing it all up...

So the setup is Netcomm mb5+4W providing a DSL connection to two computers.

The computer which is having the lockup issue is making a wireless connection to this router.

The other computer which is not having a problem is connecting to the same router but your unsure if it's through a wireless connection or cabled.

Is that a reasonable summary of the setup?

Checking for an IP conflict could be a good start although an error there would "normally" not cause the machine to lock up or freeze.

If it's possible, connecting troublesome computer via cable might help isolate the problem to the wireless settings.

If you haven't already, update drivers & firmware (if avaialable) for the wireless network card on the computer. Updating firmware on the router wouldn't go astray too although a dodgy router shouldn't cause a lockup as you have described on the computer.

Cool, thanks. I'm going over there tomorrow so I'll try all that stuff and report back.

Do you have a Wireless laptop you can take to the site to test the WiFi with?

Cool, thanks. I'm going over there tomorrow so I'll try all that stuff and report back.

Do you have a Wireless laptop you can take to the site to test the WiFi with?

Yup, already got one lined up. ;-)

OK, weird. The only conclusions I'm left with is that their wireless card (Netgear 311G v3) is somehow not compatible with the netcomm nb5plus4W modem? Which somehow causes the PC to lock up. Anyway I updated the cards drivers and swapped the card to a different PCI slot and the PC was working for 25 minutes then I had to go.

But then as i said, it was working fine with the wireless setup I have here at home (Netcomm NB6plus4W) without any problems in the first place so it's got me buggered. Hopefully what I did today will invoke the mystical PC genie to come and make things right again?