Sign in to follow this  
Wallnuthead1

Problem With my PC

Hey.

So ever since i got my new graphics card my computer has been having some issues. My screen gets heaps of green and red dots all over the screen. Its been getting worse and worse. This is what I am currently running.

XFX 9800GX2 stock

Gigabyte X48-DQ6

4 sticks of G. Skill PC2-6400

850W Tough Power

Intel Quad Core Q6600.

Asus VW222

I originally thought it was a graphics card problem, but I have swapped the nvidia one out for a ATi 4870X@ Asus. I got rid off old drivers and put on ATi ones, and i still get green dots everywhere when i play WoW. The desktop seems to be fine at the moment. When i had the nvidia card in the desktop would b riddled with green and red dots. After a while they would go away, but comes back speraticly. All of my gear are running stock standard. Graphics cards had latest drivers.

If you guys need any other information from me, please let me know. I am very eager to find the problem and fix it.

Thank You

Joshua.

I was going to say that WoW is the problem but having read your post I am assuming that its your card thats the problem. Does your ATI card do the same thing? You havent mentioned if it did. Assuming it isnt giving artefacts, then its more than likely that its your nvidia card thats causing those artifacts. let us know more please.

sorry, yes the ATi card also does it also. Its not just in WoW, CSS, Bioshock, all my awesome games i play. I thought that a new graphics card would fix the problem. No joy. I have two monitors that are the same model, it glitches and artifacts on both of them. It may be they are both faulting, but i have used atleast one screen on my brothers PC where it worked fine.

You can pretty much rule out the graphics cards as the root of your problem now, unless they are both shonky which I highly doubt they are. However, Id check to see if they are seated properly by reseating them again. Failing that, it could be a problem with your Northbridge. I dont have enough experience with Northbridge problems but it certainly seems that it could be a possible answer as to why your artifacting.

Well then. I guess if there is anyone out there who could help me fix this problem, that would be great. If its unfixable, then i guess im gonna have 2 fork out more money :(

have you reinstalled windows and updated the mb bios?

give memtest86 a run

can you try swap mb or psu with another pc?

see what atitool artifact test dose...

I got the dots and crap from boot with the Nvidia card, haven't had it yet with the ATi one. I haven't done a fresh install yet. I will run those test and see what happens. I'm gonna try n put one of my cards into my bros PC, but might not have a big enough power supply for it.

I got the dots and crap from boot with the Nvidia card, haven't had it yet with the ATi one. I haven't done a fresh install yet. I will run those test and see what happens. I'm gonna try n put one of my cards into my bros PC, but might not have a big enough power supply for it.

How big is your power supply?

850Watt Tough Power

Awww yeah it's up there :P

Yeah so that's no problem.... looks like it could also be a motherboard problem. Very rarely would they both be fucked

sigh, i have run ati tool for 30mins with no errors. Yet to run memtest. If it is the motherboard, atleast they aren't the most expensive things to replace. And atomic just did sum reviews on them. A quick question aswell. When i had my 9800GX2 card, i had the option 2 run the cards in sli, or to run multi monitor mode, which didn't work. I read that other people had the same issue. Does anyone know if this can be fixed. Also, does the 4870x2 always run in Xfire mode, don't have to turn it on or anything. Im only getting 11000 3dmark 06 score, where as i was getting 13500 with my old 9800GX2...

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Joshua

sigh, i have run ati tool for 30mins with no errors. Yet to run memtest. If it is the motherboard, atleast they aren't the most expensive things to replace. And atomic just did sum reviews on them. A quick question aswell. When i had my 9800GX2 card, i had the option 2 run the cards in sli, or to run multi monitor mode, which didn't work. I read that other people had the same issue. Does anyone know if this can be fixed. Also, does the 4870x2 always run in Xfire mode, don't have to turn it on or anything. Im only getting 11000 3dmark 06 score, where as i was getting 13500 with my old 9800GX2...

Thanks for all your help guys!!

Joshua

Have you overclocked your CPU?

chances are... you have a bit of a bottleneck there. Even still though it should be getting higher then that.

1. do what nesquick said, and try a different cable.

2. What drivers are you using?

no artifacts in ati tool suggests nesquick may be right about the problem being with your monitor\lead

4870x2 makes use of both cores as long as cat ai is not disabled

4870x2 should score much the same in 3dm06 as the 9800gx2 with your cpu at stock clocks but with the cpu overclocked a nice amount the 4870x2 should flog it

since its performing a fair bit slower id say your due for a fresh install of windows

I have two monitors running off this Ati Card. I have swapped them both around to be the main monitor, both get red/green dots everywhere. I also used my brothers cable. No change. I even used the old school cable, still no different. I have had one of my monitors in my Mothers laptop, acting as her main screen, with no visual problems @ all.

I will do a fresh install next weekend :( I can't be bothered going through a re-install at the moment. Plus it will give me time to back everything up.

I have the latest ATi drivers, 8.8 i think it was. My motherboard is fully updated.

I haven't bothered over clocking the cpu just as yet, i wanted to get this visual problem fixed up first, unless that could be affecting the over all preformance.

Thanks for all the feed back

Joshua

you haven't got any weird and wonderful settings turned on in the bios have you? like high pcie frequency or setting graphics booster to extreme, also try reseting the cmos and try each individual stick of ram by itself.

I laughed when I read your initial system specs.

Not because they were crap or anything, just because you were using a nvidia graphics card an a crossfire motherboard.

X48 is a crossfire chipset. SLI naturally won't work on it.

Hopefully you knew this and there's a good explanation. :) If not, you really need to do some more research before laying out such large chunks of cash on gear that doesn't really go together.

Good luck solving your issues. Hopefully it'll just be the cable or something trivial.

Thats wat I thought aswell. So I have pretty much done all that i know apart from a fresh install. The problem has now gotten worse. Its no longer confined to games, the desktop while idle is now getting all the green and red dots, just like my old card.

I'll start the fresh install when i get home from work today and let you know if it goes well.

Thanks.

Joshua

Thats wat I thought aswell. So I have pretty much done all that i know apart from a fresh install. The problem has now gotten worse. Its no longer confined to games, the desktop while idle is now getting all the green and red dots, just like my old card.

I'll start the fresh install when i get home from work today and let you know if it goes well.

Thanks.

Joshua

before you do that can you confirm the screen is not borked by trying it on your mums laptop or brothers computer, reason for this is it seems strange to have 2 video cards of different vendor doing the same thing.

(edit)

Alas having intrigued me with this problem i did some digging and since you said you have 2 monitors of the same model then theres a chance both have the same problem see these threads for lots of frustrated people with nearly the same problem

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=200...SLanguage=en-us

Dam, I was hoping you were onto something there. I would have rathered sending back 1 moniter @ a time to get em fixed, but....

I put my brothers LG lcd into my system, and same thing happened, Green dots everywhere when i played wow, not as bad @ the start, but it gets worse over time i think....

No problems with my monitor in my bros system yet.

hmm so we can rule out the monitor

things to try before you reformat

-swap video cards with him see how it goes (if the dots remain then it is probably the motherboard)

-try the cards in the secondary pcie slot

-scraping the bottom of the barrel here but try your brothers cpu and ram

you could also try taking everything out of the system and put it on your mobo box with only the bare essentials attached and if its fine then start ataching things till you find the problem

oh and i almost forgot use fraps to take a screen shot of the game with the dots and put it on a usb flash drive and look at the image on like your mums laptop as you said it works fine, now if there are no dots on the image then you will know the problem exists somewhere along from the monitor to video card