Sign in to follow this  
Wallnuthead1

Problem With my PC

I have already taken screen shots before. The dots don't appear on them. I have already swapped PCIe slots no change. The motherboard was faulty when i first got it, had 2 send it away 2 get replaced, also 1 stick of ram was faulty, but that was replaced also.

if the dots are not actually being generated then the problem exists between your monitor and the cable

diagnosis: your computer is fine and your cables or something are borked

try switching to 1440x900 and see how it goes

Cant say I've read this thread so forgive me if its been mentioned, but could you perhaps try out a graphics card that isnt an x2, that is to say, try a singular card rather than dual.

Excuse my ignorance, but is the toughpower SLI/Crossfire ready? IE. 2x 6/8 slot PCI-E connectors? Are they both plugged in? Whats the temperature like in the case? Those cards can run pretty hot.

Ok, so my borthers PC with my monitor is now displaying green dots everywhere, even while not under load. This obviously points to the monitor or cable. It is wierd though that his monitor also produces green dots. Wat could b the problem there? his monitor is a lot smaller than my Asus. but i have put his ratios on the native setting. Do you still think it is monitor related. This is really confusing. All 3 monitors, 2 being the exact same dispalying green dots, and an LG from my bros displaying green dots while plugged into my system.

:S:S??

I think he's using ATI & Nvidia X2 cards not two separate individual cards in each instance. Admittedly I not sure if the Nvidia X2 card, being a single card, would function correctly on an Xfire Mobo either!

*doh* Sorry got ahead of myself and didn't see the second page of posts so disregard my comments :/

Trojan

Ok, so my borthers PC with my monitor is now displaying green dots everywhere, even while not under load. This obviously points to the monitor or cable. It is wierd though that his monitor also produces green dots. Wat could b the problem there? his monitor is a lot smaller than my Asus. but i have put his ratios on the native setting. Do you still think it is monitor related. This is really confusing. All 3 monitors, 2 being the exact same dispalying green dots, and an LG from my bros displaying green dots while plugged into my system.

:S:S??

Oh now you have done it lol, at least we now know exactly where the problem is :)

I would just buy some new cables in case you have corrosion or something happening on the little connections

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_p...roducts_id=3718

So we are going with faulty connections. Changing the cables will fix the problem? My brothers monitor is plugged into my PC with his cable though. His monitor, until now has worked perfectly fine. That must rule out the cable?

hmm well you dont have an old analogue cable spare do you? you could always try it with a dongle and see how it goes although im 100% certain its the cables or the monitors as the odds of the dvi ports on both cards being faulty is smaller than an ants dick

Just swapped the cables to old analog. No change. So I have used different cables, Different Monitors, different settings, and im still getting green dots everywhere. I think there is a problem with the monitor if its doing the same thing on my brothers computer. But i also think there may be a problem with the motherboard like sum1 suggested before. Im gonna give my bros monitor back and see if he gets the problem still. Which i doubt he will. Then im gonna back up my computer and do a fresh install. If i still get a problem im prolly gonna go back 2 bare minimuim too see if it could b another component faultying it out. And if that doesn't work, im prolly jus gonna spend $200 for a new mobo.

Thanks heaps every1 for your help, especially nesquick.

Joshua

you dont have anything nearby that could be creating some electric interference do you?

I have logitech z-5500 speakers, the sub is almost a metre away from it, powerboard is a little closer. Those would be the only things close enough. But i have never had this sort of problem with them....

But i also think there may be a problem with the motherboard like sum1 suggested before. And if that doesn't work, im prolly jus gonna spend $200 for a new mobo.

Thanks heaps every1 for your help, especially nesquick.

Joshua

why? i told you what the problem is not with your actual computer, if it was the mobo then you would be getting stability issues or it would not boot up at all.

oh and no need to thank me, what goes around comes around :)

I have just recently had the computer lock up, about 3 times now. Anyway. Im going to do a fresh install. I have tried different cables and monitors, so im stumped as 2 wat is really wrong. maybe i should just take it into a PC shop?

It's weird how your brothers monitor stuffs up on your computer, and then you put your monitor on your brothers machine and still does the same thing!?

Is that right?

Have you fixed the problem yet? i take it by the absence of a post in the last few days you either did or went to anther forum due to not liking my assessment of the problem.

When I got into a game, it glitches really bad, now i get like triangle shaps and everything. And sumtimes it just freezes and restarts, other times it just locks up and i have 2 reset it myself. Only got a BSOD twice. Both times it was a graphic error apparently.

what you need to do is take your computer to a friends house and try every component in his computer until you find the culprit.

Ok, so here is an update.

I spent the weekend @ my mates place.

I swapped Mobo's, Ram.

I have run my computer bare, disconnecting cd drive and non-important hard drives. The only things i have kept same are my graphics card, CPU and power supply.

Also swapped monitors, even bought a new pair on cables.

This testing was done with a fresh install, fully updated with CCC 8.9.

I go into CS:S and green dots are waiting for me.

So i think we can rule out the mobo now. Its either gonna b the 3 things i didn't change, CPU, power supply or graphics card. The CPU is the oldest, almost a year old i think.... PSU was bought with my 9800GX2 which was only like a month or 2 ago. The Asus 4870 im running is barely 3weeks old i think.

Any ideas now guys.

Should i maybe jus shove it in the car and take it down to a PC shop and just pay sum1 to sort it out?

Thanks

Joshua