Charger770

Who is on my network?

I have a wireless network and internet access for the last couple of months seems a little higher than usual.

I have security by way of WPA password but that is not the ultimate security.

Is there some freeware out there that I can use that will alert me to others hacking into my system or would help in some way to discover the hacker (if he exists) ?

Thanks

Edited by Charger770

not really.

about the only thing you can do is actually look at whos connected on the router.

i suppose you could rtun some network scanning software, like netstumbler or nmap constantly for a while and see if it finds any shares or extra in use IPs.

really though you're barking up a very difficult tree with home level hardware.

Check your modem stats. If you have DHCP enabled you may have a DHCP lease page which should give you all the leases handed out for the last X hours.

Change the WPA key, make sure you have MAC filtering on, change and hide the ssid - not that by hiding the ssid is it hard to find or anything but it's better then nothing.

Or if you just want to see if someone else is downloading shit - and the other ways above don't work - get a download meter for your computer and compare the total with your ISPs network statistics page.

i guess depending on how much of an effort you are wanting to go to.

you could set up a *nix box, redirect all traffic through it, and run some manner of logging software.

put dnsmasq on the box to allocate dhcp and perform dns, that way you can also provide dhcp info to tell all clients that the box is the default gateway.

tell the box that _its_ default gateway is the modem.

and set up some iptables to forward data. (and also log it)

or you could just upgrade your security to wpa2, hide ssid and mac filter as had been suggested, also change the login password on the router

i guess depending on how much of an effort you are wanting to go to.

you could set up a *nix box, redirect all traffic through it, and run some manner of logging software.

That's a good idea, although it would require spending money (unless you already have a disused computer lying around). You could go to the police and say that someone's been piggybacking your network, but they'll probably want to see some evidence. Another option is to contact your ISP and ask what computers have been connecting to your network.

Obviously they're fairly close to you when connecting, so try and figure out where they could be connecting from (It's probably your neighbours, or perhaps wardrivers).

While your at it, do what a lot of others have suggested and change your network's WPA PSK and hide your SSID etc.

nah, its not really a good idea, its quite overly convoluted and unnecessarily complex.

but it would be alot of fun.

and quite likely the police wont care,

and your isp will have no clue who has been using your private local network.

you know the most likely scenario is your little sister or dad etc has discovered file sharing :p