Sign in to follow this  
clockworkman

a question regarding wireless access points

hello all.

currently we have a router with the wireless access point at one end of the house.

and poor signal at the other end of the house.

i have however, at the other end of the house a box, connected via ethernet cable.

I also have a spare wifi card lying around.

provided i am able to get this card acting as an access point,

what would happen if i set it up, to broadcast identical to the current AP (same channel, same ssid same security settings)?

would it spit chips?

is there anything i would need to configure?

current setup is hidden ssid with wpa2.

if what i am looking for is WDS, the router wont support WDS with wpa2.

is there a way around this

cheers in advance

If it did work you'd end up with two seperate networks, or is that what you want?

Does your router support dd-wrt? That may fix your range and WDS problem if your router is compatible.

Also check out this FAQ regarding extending signal strength, it may be helpful.

If it did work you'd end up with two seperate networks, or is that what you want?

Does your router support dd-wrt? That may fix your range and WDS problem if your router is compatible.

Also check out this FAQ regarding extending signal strength, it may be helpful.

thanks lew.

and no, i would like just the one network

i'll check that link out.

and no modem isnt ddwrt compatible

and even if it were, i wouldnt flash it. already bricked 2 routers doing that. :\

hello all.

currently we have a router with the wireless access point at one end of the house.

and poor signal at the other end of the house.

i have however, at the other end of the house a box, connected via ethernet cable.

I also have a spare wifi card lying around.

provided i am able to get this card acting as an access point,

what would happen if i set it up, to broadcast identical to the current AP (same channel, same ssid same security settings)?

It should work. This is the correct way to setup a multi-AP network - just ensure both APs are on a different channel. You don't need WDS as this is used for achieving a similar setup but with no cabling between the two APs.

That said, the chance of spare wifi card working as an AP is slim unless you have a GNU/Linux or *BSD box with the appropriate HostAP drivers /and/ your specific model of card is supported by those drivers.

You don't need WDS as this is used for achieving a similar setup but with no cabling between the two APs.

The way I read the OP the two APs aren't connected via Ethernet. My interpretation was the Box at the other end was connected to the AP at the other end via Ethernet.

Does that make a difference?

You don't need WDS as this is used for achieving a similar setup but with no cabling between the two APs.

The way I read the OP the two APs aren't connected via Ethernet. My interpretation was the Box at the other end was connected to the AP at the other end via Ethernet.

Does that make a difference?

I have however, at the other end of the house a box, connected via ethernet cable.

?

seggers got it right lew :)

thanks anyway.

and thanks heaps for clarifying that segger

and i do have the linux part of that equation :p

so the next step is checking driver and compatibility.

but yeah, having stuffed about with wifi on linux for far too long, i understand this being a very slim possibilty :p

just wanted to know if it was at all possible.

so as long as the AP's broadcast on a different channel, my clients should simply auto connect to the strongest signal? with just the one lot of network configuration parameters?

so as long as the AP's broadcast on a different channel, my clients should simply auto connect to the strongest signal? with just the one lot of network configuration parameters?

Yep. I have no experience with how roaming would behave with WPA2 but I'm sure everyone's favourite search engine can answer that. That said, it probably wouldn't be an issue as your devices are likely to be [physically] static.

hmm

a quick google yeilded that wpa2 has been enhanced over wpa to roam very well, and is supposed to do so quite fast. ( :

hehe

its easy to find answers when you know what the name of what you are searching for is :p

but yes, as you mentioned, not really my issue much anyway.

now all i need to improve is the cordless phone..... :p

hmm

a quick google yeilded that wpa2 has been enhanced over wpa to roam very well, and is supposed to do so quite fast. ( :

hehe

its easy to find answers when you know what the name of what you are searching for is :p

Someone has discovered the secret of googlefu.

:P

Personally I wouldn't try setting up a wireless card in a PC as an AP, but would rather unplug the ethernet cable from the "far" PC and connect up another wireless router instead. Set up the new router to look to the existing router for internet access and then connect the far PC to the router. Means buying a new router but means the 'far" pc will not need to be on for anyone up that end of the house to get wireless connectivity.

hmm

hehe

Someone has discovered the secret of googlefu.

:P

Personally I wouldn't try setting up a wireless card in a PC as an AP, but would rather unplug the ethernet cable from the "far" PC and connect up another wireless router instead. Set up the new router to look to the existing router for internet access and then connect the far PC to the router. Means buying a new router but means the 'far" pc will not need to be on for anyone up that end of the house to get wireless connectivity.

perhaps that would be an option

but i dont have spare cash right now, besides i wanna make do with gear i have, instead of buying gear i may not need.

pc is an always on, low power server anyway

Just take into account the time, potential head fuck and the fact that the PC needs to be left on all the time vs purchasing another AP (with a 4 port hub/ switch included).

As has been mentioned, same SSID and encryption settings with different channels on each AP will work quite well.