Sign in to follow this  
cleadge

wireless lag

ok so im sure alot of you have either heard of this issue or experienced it first hand.

about every 60sec while pinging the router, the ping jumps from 1-2ms upto 1700+ms.

Now under XP i know its the WZC which causes this and from what i can understand in vista WZC is tied in with WLAN autoconfig, what i am wondering is if anyone knows if there is a way to eleviate this? other then going back to XP or by using a wired connection.

Nop still no luck.. also tried wlanOptimiser and nothing

I guess if i cant come across a fix ill have to go back to XP, or try a better wireless card -.-

Hi dude,

i fixed my problem in windows XP by disabling the Wlanconfig service in the services menu (start - run - services.msc). Then downloading the wireless adapters own Wlan configuration utility and using that. Lag gone. However i am also in the middle of making a website about vista problems and how tofix them (its going rather slow) but here is one fix i put up that has helped me and my mates with this problem!

http://www.vistalagfix.net/lagfix.html

And mate, i know how you feel i had this problem ever since vistas release. Here are some updates that might help, although they were bought to my attention by a guy on another forum after doing some digging.

http://rapidshare.com/files/138614227/WindowsVistaWFP08.rar

He wrote

Vista has flakey wireless, but no-one in M$ will admit it, (it will hurt sales) Another solution to try first is a new update that is available for Vista BUT is not available to the public. It is KB942567

http://rapidshare.com/files/138614227/WindowsVistaWFP08.rar

This is a RTM version AND is being put on new computers, BUT not being made an update (so M$ doesn't have to admit it stuffed up.)

As an example, making skype calls. Previously I had delays, and cutouts with the wireless conection, BUT now, the whole thing is as smooth as silk.

Also did some big file transfers, and again, ultra fast, no packet loss.

Worth definitely upgrading to.

let me know how you go because this problem used to shit my to tears, but at the moment i have a DWA-556 Dlink adapter which is working great in Vista and Windows 7 so that could also be an upgrade choice, but this adapter is PCI-E.

Good Luck!!

Edited by smakme7757

cool.. ill give those a try, and let you know how it goes.

edit: tried dissabling some of the network properties but it didnt make any difference.

installed the update, this seems to reduce the time between spikes but it is still there, but only when i set the WLAN autoconfig service to manual.

so im guessing it has something to do with my wireless card D-Link DWA510, but i have been looking at the DWA-556.

Edited by cleadge

I have no idea about this stuff under Vista, but if you're looking at new hardware you'd do well to look at Netgear or Linksys rather than D-Link.