Sign in to follow this  
elmo198

creative X-FI onboard 64mb what?

I have a creative fatal1ty 64mb sound card, I had it for sometime now, maybe a year now.. the thing is, I never really looked up on the whole 64mb onboard ram business. I read an article about it on atomic mag awhile back when they were the shit. But up until now, I just realise, wtf is with these cards? how do I use the onboard ram? anything out there actually uses the extra bits on this card at all?

I play crysis, cod4, grid and assassin's greed atm. any of those can use anything cool from the card? what does alchemy do? how do I use it, and set it up.. you know anything like that would be cool.

I have a creative fatal1ty 64mb sound card, I had it for sometime now, maybe a year now.. the thing is, I never really looked up on the whole 64mb onboard ram business. I read an article about it on atomic mag awhile back when they were the shit. But up until now, I just realise, wtf is with these cards? how do I use the onboard ram? anything out there actually uses the extra bits on this card at all?

I play crysis, cod4, grid and assassin's greed atm. any of those can use anything cool from the card? what does alchemy do? how do I use it, and set it up.. you know anything like that would be cool.

what the ram is for elmo is to help your games run better by using that ram to process sound instead of using your cpu to do it. i'll put it in english for you.

xfi fatal1ty w/ xram = win because it doesn't use your cpu to process sound using onboard sound on motherboard.

onboard sound = fail, see above.

any games that use the xram capability of your card would display the creative xfi logo and state it. i played quake4 and it uses the xram, i noticed a bit of difference. also i happen to believe that bioshock uses it too.

hrm, that still dont really answer my question, but thanks.

the logo on box dont really tell me but, kinda like play best on nvidia cards, thats just weird and pointless to say.

what I really care about is the x-ram factor. from what I read on google, eax5 has x-ram features. but even games uses eax5, doesnt mean it will use the x-ram. anyone else like to clear all this up?

PS: I dont care so much about performance at this stage, as I have a quad core and 4870x2 setup. so FPS speed isnt so much an issue, I guess I just want to know the technology behinds the marketing hype. :)

Okay elmo this is what x-ram is for, it was first introduced back in 2005 with the original x-fi series back when single core based cpu systems were the norm. The purpose of ram on any product is to minimise swapping of data from system memory and hdd back to the device, that and ensuring the card always has the data it needs to process at hand. All x-fi's apart from those that do not support eax 5.0 come with some onboard memory either 4 or 8 meg, i can't remember which as it's been such a long time since all this tech came out. Eax 5.0 is a complex extension requiring more over head than previous versions, thus some onboard memory was required to ensure the processing could occur properly. This ensures that the card had enough on board storage to handle eax 5.0 processing, but some data swapping still occurs. The models with 64mb provide more onboard storage, thus less swapping occurs. Back when it first came out the extra memory was potentially worth it, because if you were running a single core system the more cpu cycles you could preserve the better. This was always questionable though given the price of 64mb models, it seemed smarter to buy an x-fi xtreme music and save the rest for a dual core upgrade. Today well it's not really giving you much of a benefit as you've got plenty of cpu cycles to work with.

To take advantage of x-ram you have to be playing an eax 5.0 game, ie battlefield 2 and the various versions there after. Creative have a list of other supported games on their website. I will say this though, bf2 sounds fantastic on eax 5.0, unfortunately there's not really alot of games out there with eax 5.0 support, thus for the majority of games you play the x-ram is sitting idle anyway.

As for whether it will use it in an eax 5.0 game all depends on what effects the software developer has implemented and how many sounds the card has to process at any one time. The x-fi can process 128 simultaneous sounds, at this level + with some complex effect to process the x-ram will be used extensively. If however it's only processing 16 sounds with less effects then the load on the card is less, storage requirements are less thus the extra memory probably isn't going to come into use or at the very least not near full capacity.

I should note, you are not getting less of an experience by not having a 64mb model, the card can still process the same data and extensions, the only difference is you've got more cpu overhead as data is swapped between the card and system resources.

cheers

ok thanks for the info, thatkinda clear alot out. oh well, anyone interested in a 2nd hand xfi fatal1ty sound card? lol