Sign in to follow this  
MiamiBeachCop

Word 2003 password security

I am just wondering how secure the password protection to open a word document in word 2003 is.

I ask because I know that for word 97, the password could be "cracked" almost instantly, and I am wondering if word 2003 was a big improvement, or not much. What algorithm or such does it use to ensure security?

http://www.elcomsoft.com/aopr.html

It depends on what kind of password it is... The most common ones (password to edit, password to open, etc) are incredibly weak, and the above app will generate a password that can be used to unlock the document, but I think if you encrypt the document, it needs to be brute-forced.

They're not designed for security, they're designed as tamper-evidence.

MS is correct too, OO.O will open and edit documents that have been "protected" but I don't think it will open encrypted documents.

open office tends to ignore microsoft passwords

i love you open office.

Not with OO 3 and Word 2003 documents at least. If it does ignore passwords then that is very, very lame.

If they aim for compatibility with the .doc format, then they should respect the format as it is.

Even if the password can be cracked instantly, which it cannot on a word 2003 password, having a password allows for several non technical protections. Anyway, OO asks for a password here, as it well should.