Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
The End

All Time All Format Top Ten

Inspired by the index's latest account's thread Lollerskates

Post your all time, all format top ten. Even PS3 games are included... if there's anything other than MGS4 that's Top Ten material ;)

Mine:

1. UFO: Enemy Unknown (PC, PSX, Amiga)

One of the games that I keep coming back to and getting stupidly hooked on each time. Magnificence that still hasn't been bettered.

2. Op. Flashpoint (PC)

THE infantry simulator. Everything else is playing catchup. Shame that ArmA was a buggy mess.

3. Grand Theft Auto IV (X360, PS3, PC)

Aside from the slightly disappointing post completion gameplay, while it lasts it's one helluva ride.

4. GT Legends (PC)

5. Virtua Fighter 5 (X360, PS3)

6. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater (PS2)

7. Frontier: Elite II (PC, Amiga)

8. Red Orchestra (PC)

9. Call of Duty 4 (X360, PS3, PC)

10. Richard Burns Rally (PC, PS2, Xbox)

OK

1) Final Fantasy VII (PSX, PC)

2) Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS2)

3) Zelda OOT (N64)

4) Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3)

5) GT2 (PSX)

6) Call of Duty 4 (PC, 360, PS3)

7) Operation Flashpoint (PC)

8) God of War (PS2)

9) Sonic 2 (Megadrive)

10) Final Fantasy X (PS2)

1. Street Fighter 3 Third Strike (PS2)

Most amazing game ever

2. Soul Calibur 2 (PS2/Xbox/GC)

Before the series got noobified

3. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Play it once a year

4. X-wing Alliance (PC)

5. King of Fighters (Neo)

6. Age of Kings (PC)

7. Total Annihilation (PC)

8. Super Smash Brothers Melee (GC)

9. Garou Mark of the Wolves (Neo)

10. Team Fortress 2 (PC)

Honourable mentions:

Quake 3 Arena

Last Blade 2

Quake 3 Fortress (before v2, beta 1h)

Action Quake 2

1. Diablo II (PC)

2. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA)

3. UFO: Enemy Unknown (PC)

4. Tie Fighter (PC)

5. Final Fantasy X (PS2)

6. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PSX)

7. Vagrant Story (PSX)

8. Metroid Prime (GCN)

9. Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

10. Front Mission 3 (PSX)

11. Deus Ex (PC)

12. Doom (PC)

13. Duke Nukem 3D (PC)

Will probably edit when I think more about it.

In the order that they popped into my head.

Which one deserves the top spot, I couldn't say for sure.

Frontier: Elite II

Street Fighter 3: Third Strike

System Shock II

F-Zero GX/AC

Tetris (and many variations)

Final Fantasy VI

Unreal Tournament

X-Com: UFO Defense

Zelda OOT

Super Mario Bros. 3

Ten just isn't enough. There are other games which sometimes would knock a few of those off ... but as of right this moment, that list will have to do.

1. Planescape:Torment - Such an in-depth story and great characters plus good old RPG gameplay = Heaven for me. Started playing again since I found a patch to up the resolution - hallelujah!!!

2. Half-Life - The original was always the best for me, plus it had great mods like CS and DoD which I played the hell out of. Half Life 2 is great but missing something from the original...

3. Zelda OOT - THe best of the lot and the last one I finished despite playing and owning the others....should go back to them I guess.

4. Baldur's Gate 2 - Great story, great characters, great settings, brilliant quests, love it.

5. Halo - Just the whole series really. Was blown away by the great AI of the first and have enjoyed it since, although more in multiplayer with mates.

6. Bioshock - was tossing up between this and SS2 but I can't get SS2 to work in XP so havent played it for a while - plus Bioshock is awesome.

7. PES series - Love football and played most of these to death, probably more time in them than any other game on the list. Thinking of switching to FIFA this year though.

8. Civ Series - so addictive

9. Final Fantasy X - either this or VI are my favourites, can't wait for a DS remake(I guess they are going to do one, please!)...still prefer Turn based combat.

10. Goldeneye - Rare where art thou nowdays?@!?!?! and curse the prick who blocked the xbox arcade remake!

1 - Far Cry

2 - Alternate Reality: The City (Atari 8 bit & various other older systems)

3 - Return to Castle Wolfenstein

4 - Half Life

5 - Unreal Tournament

6 - Abe's Oddysee (PS1)

7 - Megalomania (Amiga)

8 - Impossible Mission (C64)

9 - TOCA Race Driver 3/Supercars 3

10- Moonstone (Amiga)

In no specific order. All games i think of as must plays if you consider yourself a serious gamer.

Sonic 2 (Megadrive)

Chrono Trigger (SNES)

FFVI (SNES)

Vagrant Story (PSX)

Xenogears (PSX)

Bioshock (360/PS3)

Resident Evil 4 (Gamecube/PS2)

Skies of Arcadia (Dreamcast)

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)

GTA: Vice City (PS2)

Hmmm...tough.

Mine will almost exclusively be PC based.

In no particular order...

-----

Half-life 2

Deus Ex

TIE Fighter

Wing Commander

UFO: Terror from the Deep (I played it first and it's what I think of first)

GTAIV (Hey! A console game!)

Company of Heroes

Mech Warrior 2

System Shock 2

Rome: Total War

1. Marathon 2: Durandal (Mac)

2. NWN (pc)

3. Total War Series (pc)

4. Halo PC (pc)

5. Civilizations series (pc)

6. Diablo 2 (pc)

7. Morrowind (pc)

8. Baldur's Gate 2 (pc)

9. Uncharted (PS3)

10. Oblivion (pc)

edit: I feel a bit weird putting BGII so far down this list. It's superior to just about any other RPG in a lot of ways, but it never made me replay it, and I just ended up with more mileage from others in the end.

In no particular order.

Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 (NES)

Excluding an Apple //e, the NES was the first gaming device I owned. I could never get into SMB2 as much as the other two. It probably didn't help that I am really bad at it.

Grand Prix Legends (PC)

I spent so much time playing this. On-line racing via VROC was awesome.

Half-Life series (PC)

Nothing to say here that hasn't been said already.

Close Combat 2 (PC)

Another game I spent a lot of time playing both off and on-line.

Epic in every way. Still enjoy playing this now.

God Hand (PS2)

Hilarious, fun and totally awesome.

Soul Calibur 2 (GCN)

I had this on PS2 as well but the Gamecube wins because Link > Heihachi.

PES 3 through to 2008 (PS2 and PC)

PES2008 was a pretty big disappointment, but for some reason I still play it every other day.

Golden Eye 007 (N64) - Split screen multiplayer on a small TV with an abysmal frame rate and it was still the best fun to be had on the N64.

Guitar Hero 1 and 2 (PS2) - The ultimate party games. Shame about the rest of the franchise.

Half Life Two (with episodes)

Great story, interesting characters, fun, intense, cinematic and everything a FPS should be, pure gaming bliss

GTA San Andreas

Once again great story, interesting characters, fun, best sandbox title I have played

MGS: 4

Best overall quality in a game I've ever seen, worth the price of a PS3

Everquest: 2

Loved every minute I played

Zelda: OOT

Best non grind RPG

Halo Series:

Epic Story, cool hero, revolutionised online multi player and is great fun

Super Mario World

The reason everyone wanted a snes, its still the best side scrolling platformer ever made

God of War series

Cool story, great gameplay

Resident Evil 4

Survival Horror at it's best

Killer Instinct

The only fighting game other than Street Fighter that I really enjoyed

In no particular order:

Grand Theft Auto Series (PS2/X360)

Baldur's Gate 2 (PC)

Gears of War (X360)

Halo series (Xbox/X360)

Neverwinter Nights (PC)

Outcast (PC)

Terminal Velocity (PC)

Deus Ex (PC)

Descent series (PC)

Freespace series (PC)

In no particular order-

Deus Ex (PC)

Half-Life series (PC)

Homeworld (PC) - Can't believe I'm the first to choose Homeworld! WTF you slack bastards!?

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (XBOX)

Halo 1 (XBOX)

Zelda: OoT (N64)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC (PC)

Bioshock (X360)

No-one Lives Forever (PC)

Gears of War (X360)

-No particular order-

Deus Ex

Hitman Series

Thief Series

Bioshock

Operation Flashpoint

Splinter Cell Series

Silent Hill Series

Resident Evil Series

Manhunt 1&2

Metal Gear Solid Series

Also in no order....

Metal Gear Solid series (PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3)

Final Fantasy VII (PS1)

Jedi Outcast (PC)

Baldur's Gate series (PC)

The Last Ninja (C64)

TIE Fighter (PC)

Wolf 3D (PC)

God of War series (PS2, PSP)

Mafia (PC)

In no particular order - games that I've happily wasted days on:

Katamari Damashi (PS2)

Biohazard: Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (Dreamcast)

Starcontrol 2 (PC)

Shadow of Colossus (PS2)

GTA: Vice City (PC)

God of War (PS2)

DragonQuest 8 (PS2)

Shining Force (Megadrive)

Street fighter II (SNES)

No real order here....They are in my list as I remember them so well

The Half Life Series (PC) - Best FPS ever -

Portal (PC) - The best single player gaming experience I have ever had.

Goldeneye 64 (N64) - Decent Single Player - Awesome Multi-Player. I miss it so much....

RedAlert (PC) - The first PC game I lanned. I loved it s

GTA 4 (Xbox) GTA 3 with improvements all around the board....

Morrowind (PC) - A game I remember being impressed with the second I stepped off the boat.... loved the character creation

Wolf 3d (PC) - Introduced to me via my Grandfathers new computer. Just awesome stuff.

Max Payne games - Loved the game and the way the storyline was presented. Max Payne 2 has a ton of replayability...

UFO Unknown -Addictive awesomeness which was only introduced to me in the last year or so..... I can only imagine what it would have been like to play it when first released years ago... Jaws would have dropped Im sure...

This is more of a nostalgic look at how i rated the games... Quite often you'll find that all the things we feel that are most important about games - graphics, sound, and even game play - aren't all that important at all... There are a number of games i have left out, and at times i had to re-order things because i'd change my mind about how i rated one over the other - but in the end, i figured i'd just set a list and commit to it... for now.

1) GTA: San Andreas (PC)

I had played all before it, the 2d ones mainly for lans at uni and the 3d versions mainly for fucking shit up and outrunning cops. But when GTA:SA came out, it totally changed how i saw the games. This game made me go back and really put in the time and effort to play the game without cheats, without being a dick, and just playing for the story line. I went back and played the preceeding GTA 3 titles to completion, and attempted to play the first couple again but the game was too different for me to really stick with it. But still, it rekindled my love for single player games, because up until this point i was almost solely a multiplayer gamer.

2) Quake III (PC)

This was the game that really pushed the whole multiplayer game for me. It wasn't the first (which i'll get to) but it was the first i took seriously - to the point of considering being a pro gaymer. I had a few friends in a fairly prolific canberra based clan who i would play with and practice with often, and this was the game of choice. Q3DM6 and Q3DM17 were the only way to go.

3) The Legend of Zelda (NES)

Not the first game that really got me into gaming, but definitely the one that consolidated it as a hobby for me. I spent weeks playing this game when i first got my hands on it, and know someone who racked up a thousand dollar phone bill on the 0055 help line to complete the game. And then when you finished it, they shifted everything around and you did it all again!

4) Street Fighter II - Champion Edition (Arcade, then SNES)

I remember scrounging around the house for 40c so i could go down to the local store that had this out front, and nearly flipping out when the dude behind the counter came over and racked up something like 30 credits for me to keep playing one sunday afternoon. This game was the shit. And when you played with friends, 9 times out of 10 it was Ryu vs Ryu or Ryu vs Ken. Yes you could be one of the extra 4 players, but bollocks to that. If not one of those two, Sagat would be the next obvious choice. Anyone who played balrog, zangeif or dhalsim were dispatched within seconds. Now they've got wanky (j)isms and so on, fuck.dat. All you need is two players, a handful of special moves, and a shitload of 20c pieces (or a dude who has just forever bought your patronage at his store behind the counter).

5) Super Mario World (Snes)

The first game my brother and i got on our snes. We played that thing to death, and then some. Unlocked every possible level, and would amaze our friends when we figured out star road had a middle section that sent you off to the black void. (well it was amazing at the time, the only things you had to go on were the occasional dodgy game mag). We spent hours playing that game, and it was the first time we really considered doing speedruns to see how could dominate a level the quickest, or reducing lives to 0 and seeing who could accrue the most lives in the allotted time for the level.

6) Counter Strike (PC)

This was another game we used to play heaps at uni. I got so many people on my floor into it due to my pc being plugged into my cranked stereo and them all wondering what the commotion was. Pretty soon i had to set up a couple of dedicated servers on the college network, and they were almost always full. This game really got me into the team based multiplayer game and would be a mainstay for many years - to the point at one stage i was picking dialup isp's based upon the quality of their servers and pings to the more commonly used servers. The only thing that i hated about this game (and part of the reason i dont play it now) is that if you took a break from it, it was often a steep learning curve to get back up to the skill level you held before. Had a couple of semi pro gaymer friends who i'd learn off and i recall once the startled gasps when i advanced our team in a tourney after i took out a fairly well known friend of mine in a dual. (at least in canberra circles - he did ok in sydney, but i dont think he ever took any titles).

7) Tony Hawkes Pro Skater (PS)

Bitchin Soundtrack? Check. Infuriating Goals (at first)? Check. Loads of unlockables? Check. A multiplayer mode that let you totally dominate and then demoralise your opponent? Check!

It was probably the soundtrack at first that kept me returning to this game. I mean, its just skateboarding - right? But once i got into it, i was hooked. I played this game (and sequels - but not all) at all hours of the day and night. To the obsessive point where i kept a printed list of all the gaps i needed to hit and where to get them. And then when my brother and I would play multiplayer, it was a heated battle. Tagging, horse - you name it. We would get right fired up and in each others faces, along with pulling off the most bullshit of moves just to set those impossible scores that would leave the other player at boiling point. This game was one of those games where you'd race upstairs just to get the other sibling out of bed, because you pulled together a new string of combos around a set area of a park, that would send the points through the roof. And then you'd spend just as long trying to make the ultimate skate park and start all over again trying to outdo the best combo string pulled together by the creator of the park.

My favourite tho was speedruns - but instead of who can do the level in the fastest time, it was who could complete the most number of goals in the allotted time. We would go all out on all the courses trying to get them done as close to a single run as possible - including the ones where it was nearly technically impossible to do so, because forks in the road meant you had to choose one of two goals to complete - and often going back up the run wasn't a viable option. Again, when you figured out how to do both goals in the one run, you'd wake the other up just to show them. Pure gaming bliss.

8) Duke Nukem 3d (PC)

This game was just too cool. I had the full version but for some reason it took me ages to figure out the key to use the lift at the end of the first level. So i became pro at that one level until i worked it out and was able to progress and finish the game. Loved every minute of it.

9) Wolf 3D (PC)

This game made me sick. So very, very sick. I loved it, so much more than Doom which i never took seriously (and would only really ever play the game while cheating). My brother and I spent hours finishing this game in shifts because it made us both so ill. Mum tried to ban it once for this very reason, until one day we were just over the illness caused and were both able to finish it on its own. Was amazing when i heard this through a proper soundcard and speakers and realised it was more than garbled junk from the pc speaker :)

10) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (PC)

My brother and I were mad ninja turtles fans. We had heaps of toys, videos and general merch. Our grandmother built a small empire for herself after she knitted us some ninja turtles jumpers and we wore them to school. Next thing she had orders of about 50 a week to get done. So one Easter, our mother decided that instead of chocolate eggs (which we weren't all that fussed with anyway) she would buy us video games. And this was the first of that tradition.

Every easter, my friends would all get together and talk of the mountains of chocolate they'd receive - and i would slay them all with the latest game that we received. We were the envy of all our friends. We constantly had friends over who wanted to play the game, or wanted us to copy the floppies for them to play at home.

This game turned my brother into a compulsive gamer, who would spend many hours playing this game. I was more balanced with this and other activities (footy, music, girls etc - the was a 3 year difference after all) , and he took great pride in being the first of the two of us to finish the game.

While it was a pretty standard game, nothing too flash, it combined 2 of our favourite things - TMNT and video games. It made mum happy that we would spend hours playing it together, and that we were totally uninterested in the lack of chocolate (which i should also point out was to curb our younger sisters hoover like intake of it - and the following ultra hyperactivity that followed said hoovering). This one experiment guaranteed us many more quality games for years to come.

1. Zelda OOT (N64)

2. Tetris (GB)

3. Goldeneye - (N64)

4. Anther World - (snes)

5. Sim City - (snes)

6. Diablo II (PC)

7. Perfect dark - (N64)

8. Super metroid - (snes)

9. Silent Hill- (PS)

Rainbow six vegas 2

Call of Duty 4

Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic I , II

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue

Star Wars Battlefront II

Halo 2

Outcast

just got forced unleashed and metal gear solid yesterday.