Can't remember your login details? Read more... ×
The End

All Time All Format Top Ten

1. Guitar Hero

I play this game as much as I can. Sure there are better games, but it's one that many people can get into and play. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Might explain why I've dressed up at work 3 times to promote the new versions of this game.

Also explains the "Guitar Hero-obsessed JB Hifi eployee mates" comment on page 24 of issue 93 of atomic.

2. Leisure Suit Larry in the land of lounge lizards (PC)

One of the first games I ever played and it's the one that got me hooked on adventure games. I still fire up this game and play it. Al Lowe (Larry's creator) is a really nice guy too.

3. Final Fantasy VII (PSX)

I own every Final Fantasy released in Australia. I've finished FF I, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2. I love the series. But VII had everything I wanted. I've finished this game 4 times so far (although I have finished FF VIII 6 times)

4. Chrono Trigger (SNES)

Loved this game. I'm very close to saying it's better than the Final Fantasy series.

5. Doom (PC)

6. Curse of Monkey Island (PC)

7. Street Fighter 2 (Arcade)

8. Unreal Tournament (PC)

9. Sonic (Sega Master System)

10. Tetris

Honourable mentions:

* Portal

* Katamari series

* Yoda Stories (Stop laughing you bastards. Great for a quick gaming fix)

* Sam & Max Hit the Road

* Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2

* Final Fantasy VI and X

* Super Mario World

I own every Final Fantasy released in Australia. I've finished FF I, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X and X-2. I love the series. But VII had everything I wanted. I've finished this game 4 times so far (although I have finished FF VIII 6 times)

Morris, you're a sick sick man... FF8 6 times!? That was one of the most punishingly awful RPGs i've ever played. Drawing, junctioning, triple triad... Don't even get me started on the convoluted POS story line...

Morris, you're a sick sick man... FF8 6 times!? That was one of the most punishingly awful RPGs i've ever played. Drawing, junctioning, triple triad... Don't even get me started on the convoluted POS story line...

I enjoyed the Triple Triad game.

Once you got your head around junctioning, it wasn't so bad.

The flaw with drawing magic from enemies is that early on in the game I had 100 of whatever magic the enemies had because I'd just draw instead of killing them straight away.

And everyone that has worked with me has already called me a very very sick man.

FF VIII was the first one I finished. Then I did it again. After that I went back to VII and finished that. Then I alternated finishing the two. I must play through VII again, especially since I'm going through Crisis Core and watching Advent Children every other night.

My all time favourite games are:

1. Megamania (Atari 2600) - Still to this day, we have battles, but at our ages, reflexes are dwindling.

2. Barbarians (C64)

3. God of War - All of them (PS2 and PSP)

4. All the Civilisation Games (PC)

5. All of the GTA Series (Even London - which didn't really get me) (PC,PS1,PS2,PS3)

6. Battlefield series on PC - Sorry is there a decent FPS on any console?

7. Counter Strike and the refurbished Source (PC)

8. Half life and Half Life 2 (PC)

9. Burnout Series (PS2 and PS3)

10. Gran Turismo series to 3 (PS1 and PS2) - Both Prologue's and 4 didn't do much for me.

One game that I am still yet to finish, which I try to go back to, is Beyond Good and Evil. If I could add another, that would be it.

1. Guitar Hero

I play this game as much as I can. Sure there are better games, but it's one that many people can get into and play. Easy to learn, hard to master.

Might explain why I've dressed up at work 3 times to promote the new versions of this game.

Also explains the "Guitar Hero-obsessed JB Hifi eployee mates" comment on page 24 of issue 93 of atomic.

Guitar Hero challenge. My house. ASAP.

Ok. Some games are hard for me to choose for "TOP" 10 but here goes.

1) (PC) Deus Ex. For me one of the most engrossing experiences ever for a game and for it's genre/style or whatever nothing has come close to it for a Sci-Fi RPG to me.

2) (PC) Halo: Combat Evolved. A balanced and controlled shooter even if at times it was over hyped. Inever played this game as a result of hype but rather a love for the simple style of game it was. It had a simple balance of action and mystery to me and The Covenant imo are just a cool enemy.

3) (PS2) Ace Combat Zero: The Belkan War. An epic story Amazing game play and sweet graphics even by today's standard. One of the best prologue games ever.

4) (PC) Motocross Madness 2: A simple MX sim. It was the multiplayer that had me sucked for hours a day.

5) (PC) Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. Though not absolutely perfect as far as i goes for customization it was the first decent mainstream RTS to capture a little pocket of a very epic story.

6) (PSX) Castlevania: The Symphony of the Night. One of the best platform games ever.

7) (GC) Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes. A well done redux of the original and a well told story.

8) (PC) World of Warcraft. It's what all MMOs strive to be. Large, Diverse, Complex and full of bloody grind..... But it is worth it.

9) (PC) Max Payne. Great story telling. Swift and brutal. Not for kiddies.

10) (PC) Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis. A true military combat simulator.

1. UFO: Enemy Unknown (PC, PSX, Amiga)

One of the games that I keep coming back to and getting stupidly hooked on each time. Magnificence that still hasn't been bettered.

You are so fucking sexy right now. You didn't even call it XCOM.

But it should be noted that the sequel is essentially identical but with a horrible colour scheme.

*EDIT* Can't be bothered doing an actual list, I'd have to spend hours going through the games I've played and making the horrible choices of cutting things out of the list.

But Anachronox would deserve a mention. Sure, the turn based fighting system was overly simplistic, the differences between easy, medium and hard were barely noticeable, and the game was both linear and easy... but the storytelling held within was exceptional, and the comic sensibility was fun. I can't think of a single computer game that matches it in terms of story telling, and I certainly can't think of any other computer game that actually throws some true sci-fi (not just set in space) into the mix.

*EDIT* The above is a lie. Max Payne would match and possibly beat it in pure storytelling inter-textual madness.

No order whatsoever...

Deus Ex (PC, dodgy PS2 port)

Half-Life series (PC, I can't pick which one's better)

Super Mario Bros. 1 and 3 (NES)

Starcraft (PC, dodgy N64 port)

Final Fantasy VII (PS)

Duke Nukem 3D (PC, heaps of dodgy censored ports)

Morrowind (PC, Xbox)

Ikaruga (Dreamcast, 360 Live Arcade)

Trackmania series (PC)

Pong (Arcade)

But Anachronox would deserve a mention. Sure, the turn based fighting system was overly simplistic, the differences between easy, medium and hard were barely noticeable, and the game was both linear and easy... but the storytelling held within was exceptional, and the comic sensibility was fun. I can't think of a single computer game that matches it in terms of story telling, and I certainly can't think of any other computer game that actually throws some true sci-fi (not just set in space) into the mix.

I... I... I think I love you? You can be my master of time and space anytime.

Anachronox is easily the most underrated game ever I reckon. It STILL hurts deep down inside that it's never going to get a sequel.

1. Guitar Hero

Guitar Hero challenge. My house. ASAP.

You'll win. I'm out of practice.

But I do have my XBox 360 and Guitar Hero guitar with me now.

Only problem is that I don't have a car and I believe you live outside of reasonable walking distance from me. But challenge accepted. Because I think I saw your name on my machines at work. It was above mine :(

1. Wasteland (C64)

My favourite RPG with RPGs of all time!

2. Fallout 2 (PC)

Brilliant story, just loved it. Can't wait for Fallout 3.

3. Deus Ex (PC)

Replaying this now. Screams at full settings on modern PCs and it's really enjoyable to play at 60fps with full AA/AF.

4. Grand Theft Auto - Vice City (Xbox)

Sucker for the 80's. Loved all the GTAs but Vice City the most.

5. Uncharted - Drake's Fortune (PS3)

Can't stop playing this. The controls were perfect. Like Tomb Raider, but without the stupid OMG BEWBS kiddie shit.

6. Ghostbusters (C64)

My first serious gaming session. 20 hours with short breaks for food and pee.

7. Gears of War (Xbox 360)

Loved co-op. Cannot wait for the new one.

8. Call of Duty 4 (Xbox 360)

One of the hardest 1000/1000's I have - nearly broke my wrists doing Mile High Club on Veteran. Loved the Chernobyl level to bits.

9. Duke Nukem 3D (PC)

It's Duke!

10. Gods (Commodore Amiga 500)

Genuinely enjoyable platformer for the Amiga. Very polished graphics and gameplay.

1) Resident Evil (PSX)

2) Resident Evil Code Veronica (Dreamcast)

3) Zelda A Link To The Past (SNES)

4) Medal Of Honor Allied Assault (PC)

5) Silent Hill (PSX)

6) Condemned Criminal Origins (X360 - the reason i bought my 360)

7) Medal Of Honor Airborne (X360)

8) Brothers In Arms Series (PC)

9) Fifa Series (PSX-X360)

10) Tomb Raider (PSX)

1. Quakeworld – THE greatest hardcore competitive deathmatch FPS created. A sheer fluke of design, new things are still being discovered 12 years on about this game. A skill ceiling not matched by any FPS, and this game pretty much started internet gaming. Perfection. (PC)

2. Deus Ex – Simply the best single player experience I’ve had in any video game. (PC)

3. Street Fighter 2 Turbo – Still play it regularly. Yes is old and pretty unbalanced compared to newer incarnations, but the gameplay just RULES. I haven’t had as much fun playing any other fighter (SNES)

4. Legend of Zelda 3: A Link to the Past – Best RPG I’ve played. (SNES)

5. Half Life – The original and the best, and also had lots of fun with CS, until it turned into a camp-fest. (PC)

6. Tie Fighter – Played this to bits back in the day. From memory it was pretty difficult, but it was perfectly balanced and had a great story and gameplay (PC)

7. Ufo Enemy Unknown – I can keep coming back to this, superb turn based tactical gameplay. Like Tie Fighter is desperate for a remake, keeping the same basic gameplay but expand and update the visuals and depth. (PC)

8. Super Mario World / Mario 3 – Couldn’t split these, the best platformers ever. (SNES/NES)

9. Call of Duty 4 – The best game I’ve played in the last couple of years probably. (PC)

10. Grand Theft Auto San Andreas – Haven’t played GTA4 yet, but if it can match SA, then I’ll be blown away. (PC)

Honorable Mentions

Doom – Probably the first ‘ultimate gaming experience’ I had. (PC)

Enemy Territory – Cooperative FPS gameplay perfected. Forget the new one, this one is the best. And it’s FREE! (PC)

Operation Flashpoint – Highly underrated military simulator, especially the mission editor and custom missions available. (PC)

Diablo II – Many a mouse was clicked to death in this game. (PC)

In no order

Quake

Quake II

Jedi Knight

CoD2

CoD4

GoldenEye

Mortal Kombat

Mortal Kombat Decpetion

Grand Theft Auto

Grand Theft Auto 3

Just going to list games that have kept me coming back for more, or I played a shitload.

NBA Live 96

NBA 2k8

Duke3D

Half-Life

Half-Life 2

Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines

NBA Live 2003

Fight Night Round 3

Oblivion

Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, San Andreas, IV

Hmm think I may have to change my list to add Deus Ex. Used to always be on there but I havent played it for at least 4-5 years, apart from one try where I installed and got bored on Liberty island before giving up. I have started playing again recently and I can't believe how good this game still is. So much depth and so many options, I love the way you can pretty much just do stuff how you want too, so much exploration and...damn it just rocks, why haven't they made a game to top this I don't know. Its got me excited about playing my PC again??? haha.