Sign in to follow this  
slickgrunt

Creating a crossfire solution using HD 3850's

Hello Atomicans!

Soon I will be turning this current machine of mine in to a much needed server and be creating a new AMD rig. Before people shout at me for using AMD as my choice I would like to say I am looking for a cost-effective system (am going to be acquiring the Phenom II X3's when they come out) but I will inquire about that subject on the CPU forum. So with that out of the way I have a graphics card, the sapphire HD 3850 and it would be a real shame to throw it away. I would rather recycle it and add another card just like it in a crossfire solution to help improve my performance.

I bought this one over ebay for about $170 and after looking around on the web can only find one on Techbuy for roughly $180. Of course I won't be buying it just yet, so hopefully the price should decrease. So my question is, is a HD 3850 Crossfire setup really worth having or is it going to be an absolute waste of $180 worth. I read articles about the 4850's performance in Crossfire where it was truly worth having if you don't want to fork out for an expensive 4870 X2. Obviously the 3850 is no where near as fast as the 4850, so this is the part where I am stuck. From all the old reviews on the 3850's performance in crossfire, they were using old catalyst drivers that have long since been updated to improve the performance of crossfire.

The display resolution for nominal gameplay I am aiming for is 1650 x 1080. I am currently using a 19" 1440 x 900 but this will change over time. I am very much in to the FPS and RTS games, so any big upcoming titles that are arriving this year I am likely to get my hands on.

So back to my question - would it be worth getting another 3850 for a mere $180 to create a Crossfire setup? I am not after supreme graphics solution to match that of a 4870 x2, but something that will last me until lets say.. mid 2010?

Thank you in advance (and sorry for the long post)

Hello Atomicans!

Soon I will be turning this current machine of mine in to a much needed server and be creating a new AMD rig. Before people shout at me for using AMD as my choice I would like to say I am looking for a cost-effective system (am going to be acquiring the Phenom II X3's when they come out) but I will inquire about that subject on the CPU forum. So with that out of the way I have a graphics card, the sapphire HD 3850 and it would be a real shame to throw it away. I would rather recycle it and add another card just like it in a crossfire solution to help improve my performance.

I bought this one over ebay for about $170 and after looking around on the web can only find one on Techbuy for roughly $180. Of course I won't be buying it just yet, so hopefully the price should decrease. So my question is, is a HD 3850 Crossfire setup really worth having or is it going to be an absolute waste of $180 worth. I read articles about the 4850's performance in Crossfire where it was truly worth having if you don't want to fork out for an expensive 4870 X2. Obviously the 3850 is no where near as fast as the 4850, so this is the part where I am stuck. From all the old reviews on the 3850's performance in crossfire, they were using old catalyst drivers that have long since been updated to improve the performance of crossfire.

The display resolution for nominal gameplay I am aiming for is 1650 x 1080. I am currently using a 19" 1440 x 900 but this will change over time. I am very much in to the FPS and RTS games, so any big upcoming titles that are arriving this year I am likely to get my hands on.

So back to my question - would it be worth getting another 3850 for a mere $180 to create a Crossfire setup? I am not after supreme graphics solution to match that of a 4870 x2, but something that will last me until lets say.. mid 2010?

Thank you in advance (and sorry for the long post)

alright uh.. woops.. wrong forum. thought i clicked on GPUs.. but turns out i clicked on CPUs.. think i need glasses. sorry guys, I'm going to ask for this thread to be removed. should be found in the right area now btw :)

Edited by slickgrunt

while your in cpu's I would strongly advise you get at least a phenom 2 920 if you must have AMD also you would be better off selling your 3850 and getting something like a HD4870 or gtx260