Sign in to follow this  
index680i

30inch Screen Suggestions.

I can't but help wondering what is the better 30inch screen. I plan to start off with one for my next build and eventually have 3 in total setup on my desk because I will be using programs such as the entire Adobe Master collection software for rendering my projects and the after effects ect ect. Are there any other brands out there that totally make mince meat out of these two brands or are these the only brands with 30inch Screens. Now I am fussed to have the HDMI because I will have the PS3 connected to it as well. Also the 24inch size screens look nice but I also wonder if any of the 30's look nice to, not that the looks matter as long as it comes in black but the style would be a plus I suppose, never hurts to have something nice on the desk and something to show for your money. But other than that can some expert advise me a Screen that would fit all of this or at least try to. I appreciate the help folks.

You know you want one...

http://www.eizo.com.au/products/lcd/SX3031W/index.asp

But it might depend on whether you have any spare organs

:)

I did not see any HDMI features, and seems to lack a few things found on the Dell and samsung ones. I am not to keen on that link to be honest.

Well, yeah- it was not a serious contender for what you want :)

You know you want one...

http://www.eizo.com.au/products/lcd/SX3031W/index.asp

But it might depend on whether you have any spare organs

:)

I did not see any HDMI features, and seems to lack a few things found on the Dell and samsung ones. I am not to keen on that link to be honest.

Well, yeah- it was not a serious contender for what you want :)

I find it sad that Acer or ASUS don't do them and whats more funny is View Sonic seem to have a 28inch screen but looks very cheap. lol. If I was Acer and ASUS I would be Embarrassed

you do realize having 3 30inch lcd screens means you need to have 3 graphics cards with dual link dvi? which would also mean a motherboard that has 3 or 4 pcie slots and that would mean either you get an i7 or one of those AMD boards that have 4 pcie slots.

I might be missing something here but that sounds like easily $8000 worth of gear once you add 3 30inch lcd screens with 3 decent video cards and system to boot. In my opinion it would be easier to just get 3 28inch 1920x1200 lcd screens and just get one of those modified graphics cards that has 4 dvi ports (asus did one like that)

Edited by nesquick

you do realize having 3 30inch lcd screens means you need to have 3 graphics cards with dual link dvi? which would also mean a motherboard that has 3 or 4 pcie slots and that would mean either you get an i7 or one of those AMD boards that have 4 pcie slots.

I might be missing something here but that sounds like easily $8000 worth of gear once you add 3 30inch lcd screens with 3 decent video cards and system to boot. In my opinion it would be easier to just get 3 28inch 1920x1200 lcd screens and just get one of those modified graphics cards that has 4 dvi ports (asus did one like that)

Umm. I think you can do it on a two card solution but the only problem is you have to disable Quad or Sli to get multiple screen setup configuration. I am able to set-up two screens from my 8800GTS no worries so having two cards can do it fine so to speak. To get them to boot fast ill be getting a SSD for the OS to run on and just standard drives for storage/ Gaming and other media, but it will be Other that will use the SSD. And if it costs money to do a setup like this where I need the 3x 30Inch screens then I will do it without no hesitations if need be. So I am up to the task. This is so the 30inch screens give me a lot of head room and I seen this kind of idea in action from the Maxishine channel on youtube where he did a video that had 3 of them running and had Adobe Premier Pro running and I was absolutely amazed of the space givin on 90inches of freedom. Your 28inch idea is still something to think about though and I would be saving a few dollars and I did see a review on the ViewSonice 28inch, seems to be very close to a Samsung screen quality. so I might look into that. My setup won't be for a while yet but asking for suggestions on screens as my main goal is a good thing to get out of the way now :)

Edited by index680i

yes but 30inch screens need dual link dvi to display 2560x1600, remember conventional dvi cables can only output 1920x1200 which kind of links back to my 28inchx3 idea.

yes but 30inch screens need dual link dvi to display 2560x1600, remember conventional dvi cables can only output 1920x1200 which kind of links back to my 28inchx3 idea.

Ahh correct. Might go with just two 30's

Dual-link dvi is still a single cable, so you can run 2x 30"s off a single graphics card :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:DVI_Connector_Types.svg

Eg large resolutions such as 2560x1600, (3840x1024, 5040x1050 for the matrox th2go), all get passed out one of the two dual-link dvi ports

oh really? I thought it was 2 dvi cables connected to 2 separate dvi ports hmm well this changes things. although I don't know of a graphics card that can do 5120x1600

Edited by nesquick

Arrrhhhhhh what's going on here then, here's my old rig from the start of 2007

Posted Image

That's two 30" dells being driven of 1x 8800gtx = 5120x1600

The difference between dual-link dvi and single-link dvi is one based on internal card components not physical connections. That is a single dvi connector has the potential to send the data if the internal digital transmitter can output the right frequency. Single-link dvi uses a single tmds transmitter, allowing for a maximum res of 1920x1200. Dual-link dvi uses 2x tmds transmitters allowing double the bandwidth of a single-link connection. Dual-link dvi has always been a part of the dvi standard but it wasn't until apple made there first 30" screen that it actually started being used in desktop graphics cards, it had been used in high end workstation cards a while before for some ridiculously expensive screens. In any case to begin with sometimes you'd find that a card maker would only include a single dual-link dvi output and another single-link or vga output. But given the cost of including 4x total tmds transmitters on a card is sweet bugger all there's no reason for them not to include it on all dvi outputs. Nesquick the way you described dual-link dvi to work was done once by IBM back in the days when dual-link dvi was only found on highend workstation cards. They enabled the screen to take the input from two physical dvi cables to run the resolution of the screen. If i remember correctly sapphire have also done this on there 56" lcd now because it's resolution exceeds the limit of dual-link dvi at the refresh rate they are using, that is dual-link dvi can output the res required but it would mean having to run the screen at a lower refresh time.

Index if you plan on using more than two 30" screens your going to need a custom made desk to do it because any more than two directly infront of you is impossible to use effectively. The maxishine video proves that, when he was sitting at the desk the amount of movement he had to make from the 1st to third screen was silly, you'll end up with a sore neck after a few minutes of using it. Nec's 30" http://www.nec.com.au/37EF8A6386C24D0BACB63F0AB8CB0298.htm is also a great screen though it doesn't have all the input features you want. I'd personally recommend the dells, excellent screens and feature packed.

cheers

Edited by m0zes

I find it sad that Acer or ASUS don't do them and whats more funny is View Sonic seem to have a 28inch screen but looks very cheap. lol. If I was Acer and ASUS I would be Embarrassed

You find it sad that acer and asus don't have 30" screens, tissue? Acer perhaps should have one, but asus not a chance. 30" screens are only made from high quality va/ips based panels, as yet no panel manufacturer has made a 30" tn, chi mei were meant to be bringing one out years ago now but never did. Put simply the demand for 30" screens just isn't there yet, sure acer and asus could bring one out, but what's the point when they would be selling sweet bugger all compared to their cheap 22/24" products.

cheers

Posted Image

The difference between dual-link dvi and single-link dvi is one based on internal card components not physical connections. That is a single dvi connector has the potential to send the data if the internal digital transmitter can output the right frequency. Single-link dvi uses a single tmds transmitter, allowing for a maximum res of 1920x1200. Dual-link dvi uses 2x tmds transmitters allowing double the bandwidth of a single-link connection. Dual-link dvi has always been a part of the dvi standard but it wasn't until apple made there first 30" screen that it actually started being used in desktop graphics cards, it had been used in high end workstation cards a while before for some ridiculously expensive screens. In any case to begin with sometimes you'd find that a card maker would only include a single dual-link dvi output and another single-link or vga output. But given the cost of including 4x total tmds transmitters on a card is sweet bugger all there's no reason for them not to include it on all dvi outputs. Nesquick the way you described dual-link dvi to work was done once by IBM back in the days when dual-link dvi was only found on highend workstation cards. They enabled the screen to take the input from two physical dvi cables to run the resolution of the screen. If i remember correctly sapphire have also done this on there 56" lcd now because it's resolution exceeds the limit of dual-link dvi at the refresh rate they are using, that is dual-link dvi can output the res required but it would mean having to run the screen at a lower refresh time.

Index if you plan on using more than two 30" screens your going to need a custom made desk to do it because any more than two directly infront of you is impossible to use effectively. The maxishine video proves that, when he was sitting at the desk the amount of movement he had to make from the 1st to third screen was silly, you'll end up with a sore neck after a few minutes of using it. Nec's 30" http://www.nec.com.au/37EF8A6386C24D0BACB63F0AB8CB0298.htm is also a great screen though it doesn't have all the input features you want. I'd personally recommend the dells, excellent screens and feature packed.

cheers

Thanks dude. Dell it is then. Ill probably start off with one Dell 30 though, just so I can see if its any good for myself but looks nicer than the Samsungs. Ill do some measuring of the desk once I get the dimensions of the 30inch LCD's down. I am pretty sure I would be able to fit 3 on this desk, but that would mean I would have to hide all the speakers and put everything on the floor :P

I have a Dell 30' screen and absolutely love it. However, if I turn my computer on and leave the screen off then for some reason my computer does not detect the screen and I have to end of resetting the PC and making sure the screen is on. Does anyone have any Ideas why this happens?

Otherwise the Dell 30' is fantastic and you won't be disappointed. The colours and clarity are great and the black is pretty damn black. Enjoy.

Ishta for future reference start another thread if you have a question of your own.

Index it's not a question of whether you can fit 3 screens on your desk, hell the desk in my image above i could have fit 4x 30" on it, but so what? See the biggest complaint you here from people about 30" screens is that they are too big, i don't believe that they are but some people do. Now when you sit infront of two your entire vision is taken up by screen, you've got to physically turn to see the other which is bearable as your only going between two, but any more than that and the physical movement required to look from one screen to another just becomes silly, that or you have to sit a decent distance away form the screens to see everything present. Thus if you want to actually make good use of 3 or 4 30" screens you have to have them configured in a viewing pattern that works, that is all 4 screens as close together as possible not stretched out over 2.5m.

cheers

Ishta for future reference start another thread if you have a question of your own.

Index it's not a question of whether you can fit 3 screens on your desk, hell the desk in my image above i could have fit 4x 30" on it, but so what? See the biggest complaint you here from people about 30" screens is that they are too big, i don't believe that they are but some people do. Now when you sit infront of two your entire vision is taken up by screen, you've got to physically turn to see the other which is bearable as your only going between two, but any more than that and the physical movement required to look from one screen to another just becomes silly, that or you have to sit a decent distance away form the screens to see everything present. Thus if you want to actually make good use of 3 or 4 30" screens you have to have them configured in a viewing pattern that works, that is all 4 screens as close together as possible not stretched out over 2.5m.

cheers

Well I just decided I would only purchase 2 to begin with.

shit you havn't ordered yet have you?

I have coupons that will save you $200 a screen

enter the following RACQ discount code:

M693HRJCFTF0BC if you have trouble go here and enter any random crap to get to the coupon codes http://www.dell.com.au/racq

theres $400 right there for a new graphics card.

Edited by nesquick

shit you havn't ordered yet have you?

I have coupons that will save you $200 a screen

enter the following RACQ discount code:

M693HRJCFTF0BC if you have trouble go here and enter any random crap to get to the coupon codes http://www.dell.com.au/racq

theres $400 right there for a new graphics card.

Cheers dude, will do!

Edit*

Thanks Nesquick, I really appreciate that a lot. :D

Also, comes up with,

Membership Number: I assume this > M693HRJCFTF0BC < Goes here

Name as it appears in Card: >Insert< What goes there?

Edited by index680i

Posted Image

cheers

Thank fuck for mozes still being around.

Index you can make up whatever for those sections I think or just ask for one of your parents membership numbers ect.

Edited by nesquick

It's prolly worth mentioning, as a general bit of information, that you don't actually need HDMI to plug your PS3 in. DVI-D (with an adaptor) can do everything, video-wise, that HDMI can.

It's prolly worth mentioning, as a general bit of information, that you don't actually need HDMI to plug your PS3 in. DVI-D (with an adaptor) can do everything, video-wise, that HDMI can.

I would rather have the HDMI there though, makes setup easy and better if I have a GPU with HDMI to HDMI LCD.

That works but it's bloody annoying when your 30" only has a single dvi input.

And i should note, that whilst it does work you'll be limited to a resolution of 1280x800 unless you own a dell 3008, which comes with hdmi so it's really a moot point. Any way the way dual-link dvi works on most screens is unless you have a dual-link compatible source, the screens will limit you to a resolution of 1280x800. Mind you the screen looks damn good at this res too as it's exactly 4x smaller than 2560x1600, it's not to great for close desktop use as everything is simply too big, but from a distance or for console gaming it's fine.

cheers

Edited by m0zes